Letters to the Editor

‘Occupy’ permit

October 22, 2011

To the editor:

Occupy Lawrence campers are not sure what city officials will decide from day to day, but some things are clear: Occupy Wall Street solidarity protests are going on in small communities and big cities across the United States and in countries all over the world. They are generally peaceful and well organized, and motivated by a desire for fair and equitable financial and economic policies, and for those who prosper at the expense of others via unethical and illegal practices to be held responsible for their actions.

The only differences between occupations are the reactions by police and city officials, which range from respectful coexistence to mass arrests and assaults upon peaceful, law-abiding individuals simply assembling and expressing their opinions.

With no laws broken and no threat, officials here have a choice: keep the peace and serve and protect, or crack down on fellow citizens who are giving time and energy to participate in the democratic process.

OL campers are politically astute, caring, articulate and industrious individuals, sacrificing their own comfort and safety in order to be a visual and vocal presence in our community to raise awareness of issues and policies that affect us all (or at least 99 percent of us).

Lawrence is known for past violence in a long history of political participation, dissent and activism. Today, for a group who’ve put their lives on hold for a larger cause and on behalf of the rest of us, a simple permit to occupy a corner of a large public park isn’t too much to ask.

Comments

Richard Heckler 3 years, 7 months ago

Agreed

How much more of this do voting taxpayers and jobless voting tax payers want?

*Wall Street Bank Fraud cost consumers $ trillions, millions of jobs, loss of retirement plans and loss of medical insurance. Exactly like the Reagan/Bush home loan scam. Déjà vu can we say. Yep seems to be a pattern. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2009/0709macewan.html

*ONLY 3 financial institutions instead of several were at risk so why $700 billion in bail out money? One of the biggest lies perpetrated to American citizens. Where did this money go? Why were some banks forced to take bail out money? http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10/good_billions_after_bad_one_year

Tax cuts the ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy which do nothing to make an economy strong or produce jobs. Tax cuts are a tax increase to others in order to make up the loss in revenue = duped again.

*Still A Bad Idea – Bush Tax Cuts - The ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy at the expense of the middle class = duped one more time. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2001/0301miller.html

Flap Doodle 3 years, 7 months ago

Have you posted this 1000 times yet, merrill?

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 7 months ago

I wonder if the new guy is going to stick to his statement about long, pointless missives.

Getaroom 3 years, 7 months ago

And you have repeated yourself to no avail - right? I wonder why? You have never added one piece of worth while dialogue to this blog - ever - and just taking up space. At least change that picture for some variety!

grammaddy 3 years, 7 months ago

You have to be a ga-zillionaire for that to happen.

pace 3 years, 7 months ago

that is right. Want a free ride, be on easy street, be a corporation or oil heir.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

That's really swell. Maybe you and like-minded folks could get together and demonstrate for your desire for stuff. Maybe even across the street from the Occupy Lawrence group. You probably don't want to be on the same side of the street, since they don't share your specific desire for "free stuff."

Liberty275 3 years, 7 months ago

"Maybe you and like-minded folks could get together and demonstrate for your desire for stuff."

If it OK with you, I'll just keep going to work.

Getaroom 3 years, 7 months ago

Try that and see how it works for you. Your meaning is that all the people who are participating in the "occupy" movement are dead beats? Really that view point has been put to rest some time ago, well, with the exception of Faux News and we expect that from those professional non-truth tellers. You like those lies and the ones the Wall Street Thieves have told? Keep doing what you do then and more of the same is what you will get. Brownbackward is looking for more zombies to help him out all the time.

Getaroom 3 years, 7 months ago

Flap Doodle 3 years, 7 months ago

"With no laws broken..." Well, if you don't count the whole illegal camping stuff. BTW, please post your address so we can come occupy your yard sometime.

Getaroom 3 years, 7 months ago

You go first snappy - post yours and a bunch of us would gladly do so, if that would guarantee your being swept off the blog you "cereal" blogger you. Now crackle about that.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 7 months ago

I think that protesters should obey the law like normal people. Casa snap is prepared to repel boarders.

christy kennedy 3 years, 7 months ago

You're entirely welcome to camp in my yard if, like the OL campers, you have a purpose you can explain and you are peaceful, respectful, and clean up after yourself. Be my guest.

ceccarp 3 years, 7 months ago

Their dissent is still protected by the Constitution as Freedom of Speech. You remember that document that has that thing at the beginning called The Bill of Rights?? I may not like what the Tea Party or Fred Phelps have to say, but I will fight like heck to protect their right to have their say. Unless it's Hate Speech which has been declared by the Lawmakers as illegal. Otherwise I have not problems with them. You do remember that by trying to deny the Occupy Lawrence protesters their right to Peaceably Assemble you also are denying yourself of the same right. Disagree with us all you want, but do not try to deny us the same rights you wish to have for yourself and your family.

christy kennedy 3 years, 7 months ago

You're right, anyone who has slept in the park is in violation of a city code. Think a bit more broadly. What I mean is the occupiers are sitting peacefully and trying to engage passers by in the political process. It's a small group here, but they're in solidarity with larger groups elsewhere you so eloquently describe in your comment. What are you so mad about that you have to stereotype and insult these people? You should try participating in the conversation they're engaged in, but that would mean you'd have to go ahead and actually read what they've written and listen to what they're saying.

christy kennedy 3 years, 7 months ago

I fully supported the "Tea Partiers" rights to what for the most part seemed to be uninformed and illogical, self-serving and self-defeating (i.e. "Keep the government out of my Medicare" sign) freedom of speech. That some were armed was a bit embarrassing and disturbing and an unnecessary show of I don't know what. "Lookee! I have guns!" The Occupy Lawrence folks aren't armed AND they were assaulted in the park last night by some thugs, so there you go. Whose side are you on? I'm with the peaceful people who speak for those of us who are not profiting by bank deregulation and who are not represented by high priced lobbyists (this includes, I assume, most Tea Party types). Why is this so hard for you to grasp?

voevoda 3 years, 7 months ago

Curiously, many of the posters who are so quick to point out the violation of the city ordinance on camping in South Park are strongly opposed to government regulation in general. If it's right and proper for the city of Lawrence to have an ordinance prohibiting late-night use of a park, then shouldn't it be all right for the government to prohibit exaggerated health claims on food and medicine items? To restrict release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere? To require environmental impact studies before erecting new buildings? mustrun80, "You felt the exact same way about [those regulations] right? You said all of this eloquent stuff about them too right? This is all accurate, right" mustrun80?

voevoda 3 years, 7 months ago

You set up the strawman, mustrun80: if this protest is okay, then all protest is okay. I just pointed it out, using your own model and your own words. Then you reply with another strawman: if someone is in favor of one government regulation, then s/he must be in favor of all government regulation and the government regulating all. "I realize there is some nuance in politics that many are incapable of understanding...all or nothing on either side."

Brock Masters 3 years, 7 months ago

I respect and will speak in support of anyone who exercises their right to free speech including the likes of Fred Phelps. I don't have to like the message but I must support their right or face the loss of my rights.

However, protesters must adhere to established laws or face fine or arrest. No matter how noble their cause, they are not above the law. The city should not ignore existing park rules just because the protesters are peaceful.

Consider the rules that limit the Phelpses from protesting funerals. Is it okay for city officials to ignore the rules that limit where the Phelpses can protest because they are peaceful? No of course it isn't.

Is it necessary to violate laws when dissenting? Yes it is, but the dissenter must be prepared for the consequences of their actions.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

"Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie."

Go Pete and Arlo!!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

A Song by Les Rice: The Banks are Made of Marble

I've traveled round this country From shore to shining shore It really made me wonder The things I heard and saw

I saw the weary farmer Plowing sod and loam l heard the auction hammer A knocking down his home

But the banks are made of marble With a guard at every door And the vaults are stuffed with silver That the farmer sweated for

l saw the seaman standing Idly by the shore l heard the bosses saying Got no work for you no more

But the banks are made of marble With a guard at every door And the vaults are stuffed with silver That the seaman sweated for

I saw the weary miner Scrubbing coal dust from his back I heard his children cryin Got no coal to heat the shack

But the banks are made of marble With a guard at every door And the vaults are stuffed with silver That the miner sweated for

I've seen my brothers working Throughout this mighty land l prayed we'd get together And together make a stand

Final Chorus

Then we'd own those banks of marble With a guard at every door And we'd share those vaults of silver That we have sweated for

© 1950 Stormking Music

Hear a recording of the song by Pete Seeger

Getaroom 3 years, 7 months ago

More from you math - of course! Kennedy's letter is absolutely right on, it's just that you do not like it and that is the end of the story frankly. She said it, you do not like it and for you the conversation is done because she has an opposite point of view from yours and whether her view more accurately reflects "reality" than yours, obviously your mind is closed or has been swapped out for Glenn Beck's. You sound much like him actually.

huero_stevo 3 years, 7 months ago

you have to remember who runs this city of ours, its the big banks. look into it and you wont be surprised. even the good ol LPD gets their orders from the folks with deep pockets

pace 3 years, 7 months ago

As far as I can tell, some people seem to think if they can convince you they believe the protesters are unemployed or have "bad" hair, other people should not care about the economic realities that are being protested. Good luck with that. Since most of us have either lost or have loved ones or friends who have lost income, pension, jobs, homes. Since many understand the 99% losing assets and income while the 1% have gains of over 200%, has something to do with unequal economic laws. I appreciate the protesters, if part of their suffering is someone falsely accusing or even correctly accusing them of having unattractive hair. It doesn't sway me from support. Those Bush tax cuts that were suppose to produce jobs. How is that working for you? Jobs and Homes, By the way,, full disclosure, I haven't had a good hair day for decades. I don't agree that my civil rights should be stripped because my hair isn't nice enough. Full disclosure, some days my hair is better than others.

uncleandyt 3 years, 7 months ago

All parks is a great idea. Does Dad Perry Park demand guts?

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 7 months ago

“I’m heading up there tonight in my dress blues. So far, 15 of my fellow marine buddies are meeting me there, also in Uniform.

Hippies and deadbeats? i think not... direct quote:

" I want to send the following message to Wall St and Congress: I didn’t fight for Wall St. I fought for America. Now it’s Congress’ turn.

My true hope, though, is that we Veterans can act as first line of defense between the   police and the protester. If they want to get to some protesters so they can mace them, they will have to get through the F(**ing Marine Corps first.

Let’s see a cop mace a bunch of decorated war vets.”

Thttp://www.ifg.org/Images/marine-occupy-wall-st.jpg

Sorry for the cut/paste, but this forum doesn't allow img src links to embed the pix.

jayhawxrok 3 years, 7 months ago

Let them be. It's good that people are standing up to the corruption and greed that landed us in this economic mess.