Letters to the Editor

‘Occupy’ permit

October 22, 2011

To the editor:

Occupy Lawrence campers are not sure what city officials will decide from day to day, but some things are clear: Occupy Wall Street solidarity protests are going on in small communities and big cities across the United States and in countries all over the world. They are generally peaceful and well organized, and motivated by a desire for fair and equitable financial and economic policies, and for those who prosper at the expense of others via unethical and illegal practices to be held responsible for their actions.

The only differences between occupations are the reactions by police and city officials, which range from respectful coexistence to mass arrests and assaults upon peaceful, law-abiding individuals simply assembling and expressing their opinions.

With no laws broken and no threat, officials here have a choice: keep the peace and serve and protect, or crack down on fellow citizens who are giving time and energy to participate in the democratic process.

OL campers are politically astute, caring, articulate and industrious individuals, sacrificing their own comfort and safety in order to be a visual and vocal presence in our community to raise awareness of issues and policies that affect us all (or at least 99 percent of us).

Lawrence is known for past violence in a long history of political participation, dissent and activism. Today, for a group who’ve put their lives on hold for a larger cause and on behalf of the rest of us, a simple permit to occupy a corner of a large public park isn’t too much to ask.

Comments

jayhawxrok 2 years, 5 months ago

Let them be. It's good that people are standing up to the corruption and greed that landed us in this economic mess.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 5 months ago

“I’m heading up there tonight in my dress blues. So far, 15 of my fellow marine buddies are meeting me there, also in Uniform.

Hippies and deadbeats? i think not... direct quote:

" I want to send the following message to Wall St and Congress: I didn’t fight for Wall St. I fought for America. Now it’s Congress’ turn.

My true hope, though, is that we Veterans can act as first line of defense between the   police and the protester. If they want to get to some protesters so they can mace them, they will have to get through the F(**ing Marine Corps first.

Let’s see a cop mace a bunch of decorated war vets.”

Thttp://www.ifg.org/Images/marine-occupy-wall-st.jpg

Sorry for the cut/paste, but this forum doesn't allow img src links to embed the pix.

ibroke 2 years, 5 months ago

I think these flea-party people would get more done if they would make a sign that says "honk to tax the rich " and stand at 11th and mass

uncleandyt 2 years, 5 months ago

Great letter, thank you C. K.

oneeye_wilbur 2 years, 5 months ago

Does this group have the guts to go to Dad Perry Park? Let's see if any park is okay or are like a bunch of auto buffs who want to be seen driving a new car.

Why not protest at Burcham Park?

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

As far as I can tell, some people seem to think if they can convince you they believe the protesters are unemployed or have "bad" hair, other people should not care about the economic realities that are being protested. Good luck with that. Since most of us have either lost or have loved ones or friends who have lost income, pension, jobs, homes. Since many understand the 99% losing assets and income while the 1% have gains of over 200%, has something to do with unequal economic laws. I appreciate the protesters, if part of their suffering is someone falsely accusing or even correctly accusing them of having unattractive hair. It doesn't sway me from support. Those Bush tax cuts that were suppose to produce jobs. How is that working for you? Jobs and Homes, By the way,, full disclosure, I haven't had a good hair day for decades. I don't agree that my civil rights should be stripped because my hair isn't nice enough. Full disclosure, some days my hair is better than others.

huero_stevo 2 years, 5 months ago

you have to remember who runs this city of ours, its the big banks. look into it and you wont be surprised. even the good ol LPD gets their orders from the folks with deep pockets

its_just_math 2 years, 5 months ago

Ms. Kennedy's letter is full of innacuracies (to use a kind and PC term) and it speaks to the dreamworld today's liberal lives in.

"With no laws broken and no threat..." is the biggest innacuracy that blankets the letter. If someone came up and took a dump on my car, I'd not be too awfully happy about it. Public sex is against the law. Littering is against the law. Violating public park hours is against the law. Doing/buying/selling narcotics is against the law. Public nuisances and civil disobedience has not historically fared will with law enforcement.

Of course, Ms. Kennedy is doing what liberals do best and toeing the liberal line, of course with the full support of the intellectually bankrupt Obamamania media.

The nearest I can tell, two way old-timer 60's hippies are the cheerleaders for the Fleabaggers in NYC: Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie. Yes, that's right, 92 year old Pete Seeger is out there with his canes, no banjo, boosting the morale of the Fleabaggers.

grammaddy 2 years, 5 months ago

Agreed! Dissent is patriotic.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

"With no laws broken..." Well, if you don't count the whole illegal camping stuff. BTW, please post your address so we can come occupy your yard sometime.

weiser 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't feel like working so give me free stuff.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

Agreed

How much more of this do voting taxpayers and jobless voting tax payers want?

*Wall Street Bank Fraud cost consumers $ trillions, millions of jobs, loss of retirement plans and loss of medical insurance. Exactly like the Reagan/Bush home loan scam. Déjà vu can we say. Yep seems to be a pattern. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2009/0709macewan.html

*ONLY 3 financial institutions instead of several were at risk so why $700 billion in bail out money? One of the biggest lies perpetrated to American citizens. Where did this money go? Why were some banks forced to take bail out money? http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10/good_billions_after_bad_one_year

Tax cuts the ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy which do nothing to make an economy strong or produce jobs. Tax cuts are a tax increase to others in order to make up the loss in revenue = duped again.

*Still A Bad Idea – Bush Tax Cuts - The ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy at the expense of the middle class = duped one more time. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2001/0301miller.html

Gandalf 2 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. Pavlovian bell alert.

Gandalf 2 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. Pavlovian bell alert.