Advertisement

Letters to the Editor

Equal enforcement

October 22, 2011

Advertisement

To the editor:

So it’s not OK for people to camp in South Park in tents, but it’s perfectly fine for people to live at South Park in two large run-down vehicles (an old Winnebago and a van with a homemade trailer attached) on Massachusetts Street.  Those vehicles have been there for a number of weeks, yet have been allowed to stay. But a few tenters in South Park? No, can’t have that. Those two vehicles parked on Mass. day after day are much more of an eyesore than the Occupy Lawrence campground. At least the campground does not block your view to the park and across the street.  Enforce the law equally, Lawrence, or not at all.

Lisa Rasor,

Lawrence

Comments

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 4 months ago

You hit the nail on the head, Lisa. What makes Lawrence seem like such an unjust, unequal , southern-justice type place is that the people like to abuse law enforcement for vindictive purposes.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 4 months ago

At last the Occupy Wall Street group are trying the represent the other 99% of taxpayers who do not have access to elected officials. The other 1% seem to have no problem getting an appointment with elected officials.

The 1% =CEO's and other movers and shakers are allowed to comment before congress while the other 99% become victims of the 1%. The 1% does include our elected officials.

Good letter.

Getaroom 3 years, 4 months ago

Sure you may continue to make a foolish comments as you do most days quasiconservative friend. So what does that have to do with this conversation and which politician has not taken these donations? I bet he lost a bunch this time around for the upcoming elections by once again trying to reign in the cowboys of Wall Street who stole our money without any punishment. Guess you liked it they got some of yours and they did one way or another. But you should know that being the quasiconservative "math" expert you are.

Corey Williams 3 years, 4 months ago

But you do know that the financial sector gives more money to those it thinks will win in the next elections don't you? Wouldn't that explain why more money went to the republican side in 2010? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703989304575503933125159928.html

ljwhirled 3 years, 4 months ago

It is pretty easy to get an appointment with an elected official.

First you make a campaign contribution. You do this during the election cycle.

Then, when you need something, they take your call.

If you don't have money, you can instead help with the campaign. Put out fliers, help walk neighborhoods, etc.

Then, when you need something, they take your call.

A great way to ensure that they don't listen, is to not vote, not contribute money, not contribute time, then show up in their office whining about the "unfair process".

You want your country back? Participate, contribute, vote.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 4 months ago

So what you're saying is that unless you back a winner, you get no representation, much less face time with your rep.

skinny 3 years, 4 months ago

What a joke! The campers on the street are not breaking the law. The campers in the park are and should be fined and kicked out NOW!!

ljwhirled 3 years, 4 months ago

They were ticketed & will likely be fined.

What more do you want? Leg irons and whips?

We have a process. Let it play out.

JohnBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

What we need are the Big Government Republicans in Topeka to pass a law requiring 'occupying vehicles' have bathrooms that are at least 10' x 10' with temperatures set to no less than 73 degrees. Otherwise, they'll be towed away.

Corey Williams 3 years, 4 months ago

If it doesn't involve gay marriage or abortion, they don't want anything to do with it.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.