Letters to the Editor

Trash options

October 15, 2011

To the editor:

I want to add to the dismay over the possibility of a new trash container law and policy. The City Commission is, in my opinion, creating its own little dictatorship. I think we are supposed to be free to choose what we do with our trash in this country. We need not be told how to remove it.

Several problems will surface if they continue along these proposals. First, some residents don’t fill up a container each week. Should they not receive a credit when that happens? Secondly, I have several friends who may not be able to pay for the added trash container as the commission wishes. I’d venture to say most residents have a container already. What will they do with those?

Third, we have many options already in place for people who really wish to recycle. Maybe we can find a way to improve those options first. Sure are a lot of people paying the company from Kansas City to take their recyclable stuff. Fourth, if someone is foolish enough to think the “sticker” program will work, you may as well believe in snow in July. Chances are that people would rather take extra trash to their neighbor’s house or throw it in someone’s big green bin or simply somewhere along the street before they actually buy an “extra trash bag” sticker. Are you serious?

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

"I think we are supposed to be free to choose what we do with our trash in this country."

I agree! From now on, I'll deposit my trash in Roger Powell's yard.

SnakeFist 3 years, 2 months ago

Clearly, you're not aware of our constitutional right of "freedom to dispose as one sees fit". It was, after all, Adolf Hitler who introduced the first anti-littering laws.

Kendall Simmons 3 years, 2 months ago

Yeah...isn't "freedom to litter" in the Bill of Rights"?

I think I'll add my litter to Ron's in Roger Powell's yard. Let me know when you're going to do it, Ron!! We can carpool :-)

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

Really! The real issue is whether we, as a collective society, should attempt to make the world a better place for everyone, not only at the present moment, but also for the generations that will hopefully follow us.

Sometimes taxation is used for this purpose, and at other times it's requirements of one sort of another that seem onerous at the present.

I think the trash collection issue is much ado over nothing, it's just a different tax, that's all. There are much greater issues at the present time, three of which are at least two wars raging, the economic climate that is causing so much grief to so many, and the almost surefire hyperinflation that is in our future.

Making such a fuss over the trash collection issue is perhaps no more than a diversionary technique to keep some people's minds off the real problems we face.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

acornwebworks - Do you have a truck? There's an awful lot of trash here!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes, Adolf Hitler was a good guy in some ways, but not others. After all, there is always some sanity in insanity.

One of the early laws that Adolf Hitler passed was that everyone was required to put a wire mesh on the bottom of the pot when they were boiling lobsters, so that they would not suffer when they touched the bottom of the pot of boiling water. Throwing them in boiling water was OK, that was no problem, but allowing them to touch the bottom of the pot was a No-No.

And, under Adolf Hitler, it became illegal to discharge chemical pollutants and sewage directly into the Rhine River.

It is a fact that Adolf Hitler was one of the world's first environmentalists.

The Interstate System was Adolf Hitler's idea. In Germany, it is known as the Autobahn.

Adolf Hitler annexed the Sudetenland from Czechoslovakia, which dismayed Czechoslovakia, but was wildly popular with the German population.

If Adolf Hitler had died in 1939, he would be remembered today as being one of the greatest statesmen that Germany had ever had.

But, Adolf Hitler lived too long, and was quite mistaken on a few issues.

buffalo63 3 years, 2 months ago

Have I missed something? Why are we talking about a system that is clearly NOT broken? Is this about saving money by having fewer jobs? The recycling programs now available have some restrictions on what kind of items can be recycled. If I'm being forced to recycle (purchase a bin), what is to say that I won't throw anything and everything into the bin? What kind of problem does that recreate for the recycling plant? How about just pushing recycling through education and other incentives! We had neighbors once that would take their trash (after party nights) to the high school trash bins.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

When I was a kid, we used to collect aluminum cans that had been tossed from cars along the roads and sell them to a recycler. Since there were so many cans everywhere, we made lots of money that way!

At one point, one of my fellow entrepreneurs discussed putting rocks in the aluminum cans so they would weigh more, and then we would get more money for our efforts.

But, we decided to not do that. After all, we were already making a lot of money as it was.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 2 months ago

The containers that the city provides are very easy for the trashmen to empty. The larger ones are lifted by machine.

That is done for efficiency. Maybe you should watch the trashmen, and think about how efficient the system is.

If you have a better idea, study engineering, design a better system, and then you will become very wealthy.

jafs 3 years, 2 months ago

The same is true of water, police, fire, etc. services.

In my experience, the city does a very good job with trash collection - I wish they did as good a job with everything they do.

And, from reading comments on here, the private firm Deffenbaugh, which is the most likely one to take over trash collection, has a lot of dissatisfied customers.

Some people do resent having to use government services, even when they work well, and others don't. I don't mind that the city provides water, as long as it's decent quality and doesn't cost too much, which seems to be the case.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 2 months ago

Let's look at this way. There a quite a few residents that do not have adequate units to deal with the trash that they generate. Wild animals and their canine friends love it.

Then again it seems to me we pay enough for trash service that the trash bins should be provided. If they are stolen bill the resident accordingly.