To the editor:
For the past few weeks, thousands of Americans have gathered on Wall Street protesting the disparity between the top 1 percent wealthiest Americans and the other 99 percent of Americans struggling to maintain. What is especially galling was the bailout of these same banks and Wall Street by American tax dollars that then were used to provide extravagant bonuses for Wall Street executives!
The newspaper and TV “pundits” seem bewildered because there are no demands by these protestors, no articulated list of grievances to be addressed. Perhaps one of the causes of these demonstrations is the feeling of impotence on the part of the American voter, who elected politicians based on their campaign pledges. Once elected, they conveniently forget all their wonderful promises and instead pursue selfish, self-centered agendas designed to get them re-elected.
This “political amnesia” seems applicable to all politicians. Democrats like President Obama, who promised to end our wars, and our illustrious Republican governor, Brownback, ruthlessly abusing power and running roughshod over the Kansas people in his dream to one day run for president. This callous disregard for the voter, makes our votes virtually worthless, makes all voters inconsequential, into “non-sequiturs,” turns America’s “democratic process” into a tragic joke.
The simple solution? Voter-imposed term limits! If a politician doesn’t honor his commitments, then they are fired in the next election by the 99 percent for lying and making empty campaign promises. We 99 percent do have the power to provide meaningful consequences for politicians’ bad behavior!