Letters to the Editor

Voting choice

October 7, 2011

To the editor:

Here’s a new twist on the issue of the moment: dysfunctional government. Though it’s easy (and popular) to blame the “bums” in Washington for the gridlock, it is my belief we need to blame the real perpetrators: those of us who choose to vote and those who choose not to vote.

We’re the ones who sent the present crop of politicians to Washington. What were we thinking? It appears we were not thinking and elected people whose main objective is to place endless roadblocks in the way of an orderly, functioning government so that it will simply cease to function. As for those who couldn’t find the time to vote, quit whining. You gave up your right to complain when you neglected to exercise your patriotic duty at the ballot box.

It’s time for all of us to take responsibility for the malaise gripping our nation. We, as consumers, could have used our buying power to support manufacturing jobs in the United States, but we chose not to do so. We were much more interested in buying cheap foreign products. Did it ever occur to us that when we chose to buy foreign goods, we were putting another American out of work?

Pogo was right when he said, “We have met the enemy and they is us.” The government is also us, but we don’t seem to appreciate its implications.  Instead of working to tear it down, we’d better learn to work together, not as divisive ideologues, but as the true American patriots we were meant to be.

Comments

btsflk 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree with the content of your letter, you make it sound simple. I wish. I have voted since I reached voting age, around the middle of the last century. Often I have held my nose and voted for what seemed to be the lesser of two evils. I don't know if I will bother to vote anymore, it doesn't seem to make a difference. As for buying American, several years ago I adhered strictly to that and would go from store to store looking for whatever item I was seeking, with a made in America label. Those American made items became fewer until they ceased to exist. I certainly do not look for foreign made goods, but most of the time, that's all that's available. I guess even American branded cars are not completely made in America. Again, I agree with you and wish it was that simple.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

"Often I have held my nose and voted for what seemed to be the lesser of two evils."

I don't seem to remember it ever being any other way.

Getaroom 3 years, 3 months ago

In general I agree with the writers letter and if we lived in a true democracy, where one person one vote actually accounted for something, I believe as a nation we would be in much better condition. As always complaining does not get anyone very far and especially that is true when the complainer(s) are observers only and not participants in the process of direct change, not the kind of change that happens by default which is what happens by being just a spectator. It is very confusing in this political climate to know who among the many Presidential contenders are willing to truly usher in a state of balance. With a government, big or small, or perhaps just right(whatever that looks like) until the leadership of this country, at all levels, stops allowing corporations to call the shots through lobbyists we are stuck. Between those in the Tea Party and the just plain ol' ultra conservative contenders, all that is happening thus far is power mongering and zero compromise is offered. Undermining all of it is religious fundamentalism. Our own Governor and people like Jerry Moran are working tirelessly to gain control of society through specific mindsets and dogmatc religious beliefs which they desire to impose on all the population. This movement has been working its way into the fabric of domestic life and the Federal Government as well. This is fact and not paranoia and once pointed out anyone can follow the bread crumbs to see it at work. It is a fanatical ideology and tentacles can be seen currently in the Air Force Academy leadership and other military branches. It is known as "Dominion Theology". The Air Force Academy has had its hands slapped more than once for using these teachings with cadets, but the determination is quite strong. For more information on the subject here is just one option to begin: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/meet-rick-perrys-radical-leadership-team-co-chair

So, sure get out and vote, it is better than not voting for sure, just be aware of what it is you are voting for, as well as who because your future rests in those peoples intentions and actions.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

I remember a number of years ago voting for Bennett for Governor. I did that not because I believed in what he stood for. Rather, it was because his opponent, Vern Miller was a buffoon. Bennett won the election and then had the audacity to do the very things he said he was going to do. Didn't he know I voted for him not because I agreed with his policies. I guess not. Well, I learned my lesson. I no longer vote for the lesser of the two evils, I vote for third party candidates that most closely resemble my philosophy. Since then, I've voted for one Democrat and zero Republicans. The people I vote for don't win, but it's not about winning. It's about sending our representatives a message. If enough voters choose third parties, the politicians will respond. They respond to money and they respond to blocks of voters. I choose not to contribute financially, but I can become a member of a block of voters. So can we all.

Getaroom 3 years, 3 months ago

So speaking of the patriotc American you voted for, is this the guy you really wanted?

Who would Jesus vote for? Meet Sam Brownback By Jeff Sharlet, Rolling Stone, January 25, 2006 Rolling Stone's feature on Kansas Republican Senator Sam Brownback reports that he and other elected leaders have for years participated in the cell-structured "Fellowship" that aims to impose theocratic rule on the United States. Brownback and other religiously driven public officials also meet weekly to set policy with representatives of such religious right organizations as Focus on the Family; that formation is known as the "Values Action Team." Reporter Jeff Sharlet quotes many statements of Brownback's supporting this summary. Just six years ago, winning the evangelical vote required only a veneer of bland normalcy, nothing more than George Bush's vague assurance that Jesus was his favorite philosopher. Now, Brownback seeks something far more radical: not faith-based politics but faith in place of politics. In his dream America, the one he believes both the Bible and the Constitution promise, the state will simply wither away. In its place will be a country so suffused with God and the free market that the social fabric of the last hundred years -- schools, Social Security, welfare -- will be privatized or simply done away with. There will be no abortions; sex will be confined to heterosexual marriage. Men will lead families, mothers will tend children, and big business and the church will take care of all. Also included in this must-read report: the importance of Charles Colson, whose prison ministry is heavily backed with federal funds. Click here for the report. Does Brownback have Kansans' backs? By Rhonda Holman, Wichita Eagle editorial writer, Kansas.com "We Blog," posted February 1, 2006 Commenting on Sen. Sam Brownback's saying he would not read Rolling Stone's profile, Holman writes: But Kansans might want to read it, especially those who think they twice elected Brownback to represent them in the U.S. Senate. The article relates how Brownback, in a New York City church, raised a hand to the heavens and declared, "This is about serving one constituent." How Brownback credits Pat Robertson with getting him elected. And how involved Brownback is in a secretive brotherhood of Christian power brokers called the Fellowship and as leader of the religious right's influential Values Action Team.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

Our current regime, just making stuff up since January 2009. http://minx.cc/?post=322310