Archive for Sunday, November 27, 2011

Teen tweeter won’t apologize to Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback

November 27, 2011

— A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal's demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn't sorry and doesn't think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback's greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: "Just made mean comments at gov. brownback and told him he sucked, in person #heblowsalot."

She actually made no such comment and said she was "just joking with friends." But Brownback's office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor's name, saw Sullivan's post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan's older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan's following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped "open up dialogue" about free speech in social media.

"I would do it again," she said.

Sullivan has received emails from attorneys but is waiting to see what happens when she refuses to hand in a letter. Krawitz, her principal, told The Kansas City Star previously that the situation is a "private issue, not a public matter" but didn't return a phone message from The Associated Press at his home Sunday.

She hasn't heard from Brownback or his staff. She said she wouldn't mind sitting down and talking to the governor.

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission's entire budget, making Kansas the only state in the nation to eliminate arts funding. Brownback has argued that arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

"I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him," she said. "I don't know if he would do it or not though. And I don't know that he would listen to what I have to say."

Sullivan's mother, Julie, said she isn't angry with her daughter, even though she thinks she "could have chosen different words."

"She wasn't speaking to the 3,000 followers she has now," Julie Sullivan said. "She was talking to 65 friends. And also it's the speech they use today. It's more attention-grabbing. I raised my kids to be independent, to be strong, to be free-thinkers. If she wants to tweet her opinion about Gov. Brownback, I say for her to go for it, and I stand totally behind her."

Comments

sad_lawrencian 3 years ago

I totally support Ms. Sullivan. How dare the principal ask her to apologize! This country still has freedom of speech, and I for one support the citizens' right to voice their opinions, whether the opinions are positive or negative to the current regime in Topeka. Kudos to Ms. Sullivan for refusing to write that letter of apology.

Bob Forer 3 years ago

I like Ms. Sullivan. Wish more young folks were like her.

Eileen Jones 3 years ago

Ms. Sullivan has more on the ball than that principal who forgot about the First Amendment. What a horrible example he is to those students.

pills4profit 3 years ago

Awesome...this 18 y/o straight up showed Brownie and her principal whats up. I wish I was a fly on the wall when she tells her principal shes not writing that letter, even though he probably will already know...

KS 3 years ago

"Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically"? My bet is that she doesn't have a clue what Brownback or any other politician stands for. What a politician stands for is irrelevant. She is showing us her intellect when she plays around on her phone versus paying attention. She might have learned something. This is the future of our country. Scary isn't it? As far as I am concerned, she should write a letter of apology to her school system for wasting the taxpyers hard earned money on a wasted field trip for her to Topeka.

KS 3 years ago

Gandalf - You know not who you communicate with. Politics is my hobby.

woodscolt 3 years ago

"Politics is my hobby."

Jeeze, better back of gandalf. I know your looking for a way to take back everything you've said now.

Liberty275 3 years ago

If politics is your hobby. you must be barrack obama.

deec 3 years ago

"Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission's entire budget, making Kansas the only state in the nation to eliminate arts funding. " She seems to have political opinions to me.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

My 18 year old son and 20 year old daughter are in the same age range as this girl and have definite political beliefs that are polar opposites of each other. They believe the way they do for very different reasons and those reasons are expressed by adults on this board daily. How are they any different from someone that is 38 or 40? They grew up in a household where political dialogue was encouraged, as I did. They read newspapers, watch news stories, follow debates. I have political differences in some ways with both of them but I don't hate either of them for those differences. I had political differences with my parents as well (despite the fact that my father was a Republican and my mother a Democrat). People are eligible to vote at 18. My son registered to vote the day of his birthday and did so proudly. Emma Sullivan is also 18 and obviously taking a class in civics, government and political science or she wouldn't have been at the Capital in the first place. Is this really what you want to teach people in "how government works"? Your assessment is insulting, judgmental and, in the end, sounds like just as much of a partisan snit fit as that thrown by the Governor's office.

KS 3 years ago

What I find insulting is that she seems to think it was more important to play around with a cell phone when she should have been paying attention to the task at hand which was a field trip paid for by the taxpayers. I could give a hoot whether she is pro or con any politician. What I find disgusting is that folks want to make her the victim! Would she sit around and text/tweet in a classroom and get away with it, if caught? This is not a case of free speech. She can say and do whatever she wants, but like a lot of things in life there is a time and a place for everything. Texting/tweeting, regardless if the remarks were rude and vulgar, while in the office of any politician shows her lack of understanding of discipline and respect, if nothing more than for her fellow students, some of which may have been trying to pay attention and could have been distracted by her self serving inmaturity. This has nothing to do with social networking and the technology of today. It has everything to do with the time and place to use it. In my opinion she lacks maturity in that area. Many folks do. God gave us two ears and one mouth. That message is that one should listen twice as much as they speak.

onceinawhile 3 years ago

It's possible to use a phone and pay attention to what you're doing at the same time.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

You're full of it. If this was a teenager who texted something similar about Obama while at an event involving him, you'd be cheering her on.

jaywalker 3 years ago

And you'd be calling for the teenagers head.

tomatogrower 3 years ago

Jaywalker, we didn't insist that all the NASCAR fans who booed Mrs. Obama be thrown out of the races. We didn't insist that the security there should be fired, like the conservatives did with the musicians who were rude to Bachmann. Tea Party people go to town hall meetings and shout down politicians, and are cheered on, but then the OWL's do it, and it's just rude and horrifying. Practice what you preach, then you can complain about it.

jaywalker 3 years ago

" Practice what you preach, then you can complain about it."

Gee, thanks for telling me what I can and can't do. Since I'm not party to any of the examples you threw out there, your chastising is little more than spurious.

Politicians and their families get booed at such events all the time. You show me how to command respect from 200,000 hayseeds and I'll show you a tunnel that cuts through the center of Earth.
The band played the song, "Lying, crazy, b!@#!", while Bachmann walked on stage. That's exceptionally rude and disrespectful and wholly avoidable, I don't care who the politician is. But that situation is similar in that the venue dictates the reaction. If the band had played the song when she wasn't a guest, but in connection with a monologue or joke from the host, it's just a joke. Do it in the person's face, then there's a problem. If this student hadn't posted her foolishness until she was long gone from the presence of the governor, we're not talking about this. Doing it while being afforded exclusive conference with the man is the problem.

beatrice 3 years ago

"Gee, thanks for telling me what I can and can't do."

Jay, you finally landed on exactly what the girl is thinking.

beatrice 3 years ago

jay: "Sorry, bea, but no one has told this girl anything regarding what she can and can't do."

Students are not called into the principal's office for an hour to hear all about what they CAN do. Students are not asked to apologize for things they CAN do.

No, this was all about the principal telling her what she can't do, and since she did do it that she must now apologize for it. Sorry, but I have to say you are wrong on this account.

jaywalker 3 years ago

Then you'd be wrong twice. Show me where the principal told her something she can't do. Being reprimanded for bad behavior is not the same thing as telling someone they can't do something.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

Nope-- you see, I don't have a problem with the first amendment as you do.

jaywalker 3 years ago

Well, first of all we both know that your reaction would be the opposite of what you're representing now. You've shown little to no impartiality ever on these boards, please don't kid yourself.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

WTF are you talking about? If I were governor, I'd be smart enough to realize that complaining about a high school kid's tweet is just downright stupid.

"Second, please enlighten me as to how this incident has anything to do with the First Amendment."

Jeez, you can be dense. Seeking retribution over a kid making a derogatory comment is a clear violation of the first amendment.

jaywalker 3 years ago

"WTF are you talking about? If I were governor..."

You ask me what I'm talking about when that paragraph has absolutely nothing to do with our conversation? Brrrriiiiillllliant!

"Seeking retribution over a kid making a derogatory comment is a clear violation of the first amendment."

I'm dense. You're the one making things up to prop up your position, but I'm dense. Gotcha. Nobody has sought "retribution" here. A principal has requested a letter of apology. The girls' rights have not been infringed upon in any way. She's free to say anything she wants. She's not free from repercussions that might ensue for those words, though. Joe Wilson was well within his rights to shout "You lie!" at the President. He wasn't immune from the repercussions that ensued, i.e. bad press and a rebuke from the House of Reps.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

"She's free to say anything she wants."

But only if she is coerced to apologize afterward.

You have a funny concept of "free speech."

jaywalker 3 years ago

Sorry, but she's not being "coerced" into anything. She had a choice and she's exercised it.

Apparently you have no concept of 'free speech." Pity.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

Oh, yea, being dragged into the principal's office and told to write a letter of apology isn't "coercion."

Care to mangle the English language any further?

jaywalker 3 years ago

No, it's not "coercion." It's a request. One she did not have to follow. And she hasn't.

jafs 3 years ago

If there are no negative consequences as a result of her failure to write the apology, I agree.

But, if there are, then it's clearly coercive in nature.

jaywalker 3 years ago

So given a choice, if one of the options is more negative that the other, it's coercion? I don't believe it's that simple.

jafs 3 years ago

If somebody other than yourself gives you a choice, but there are negative consequences if you make one of the choices, then that's called coercion.

Your version (which seems rather odd) would mean that if I hold a gun to your head and tell you to give me your money or I'll kill you, there's no force or coercion because you can in fact decline to give me the money, and suffer the consequences.

jaywalker 3 years ago

Gonna have to disagree. Poor decisions often lead to repercussions. In this case it led to a reprimand and a request for an apology to be written. Neither choice the student was offered was particularly attractive: eat crow or risk the incident recorded in her transcript. Sounds like a pretty standard grade school reprimand. And she hasn't been 'coerced' to do jack.
The gun to the head analogy is ridiculous.

Liberty275 3 years ago

I'd just say "Yes, he's a failure". Obama being a poor president is old news and that news hasn't really been worth the effort of cheering for a couple of years now.

Maxwell Butterfield 3 years ago

Yeesh, talk about grasping at straws.

dragonwagon2 3 years ago

If she is 18, she can vote. I hope she IS informed. Chances are she is more informed than some....

ivalueamerica 3 years ago

you do not know her or anything about her.

You are painting a picture void of any reality or fact, making your comments worthless.

bolshavik_vw 3 years ago

This young lady knows what she is talking about, she has been educated and knows that she is upset with him for cutting funding in the arts programs, along with other programs in Kansas. She is not alone.

Sean Livingstone 3 years ago

If she said it in front of the governor during the visit, that's inappropriate. However, as we know about facebook and tweets.... it has no value or whatsoever... why is that principal giving so much bull about it?

Lawrence4Life 3 years ago

Sam Brownback should write a letter of apology to the state of Kansas for wasting time, money, and resources tracking people on twitter. How much time does his staff waste snooping on twitter/facebook for any sign of dissent.

What is democracy, if not enjoying the freedom to criticize our government.

woodscolt 3 years ago

"The part I'm most nervous about is going back to school and facing him." Emma Sullivan

This is the best way to deal with these bullys. You are in the right and to apologize because the bullys have demanded it is pure BS on brownbacks part. Your principal is a coward for not sticking up for you. The guv and the principle are going to get tarred and feathered in the peoples court. If they chose to make it rough on you for your decision, you may be harmed in the short term but they will loose in the long run. You will come out on top because you are in the right. Hold your ground on this one. I predict your the one who gets the apology.

savarulz 3 years ago

First it wasn't the Governors ofice that demanded the apology, it was the principal. Second it looks like you may need to apologize to your teachers for not paying to the part where they tried to teach you how to spell. I do not agree with her having to say she was sorry, it wasn't that bad, what she said. Second, the last 5 years the only bullies have been on the Democrat side. Example: former Congressman Grayson, " The only thing that Republicans want the American people to do is DIE." That is just one of thousands, I can provide.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

"First it wasn't the Governors ofice that demanded the apology,"

(note-- it should be "governor's office)

Maybe they didn't want an apology, but by contacting the principal, it's clear that they did intend to intimidate this girl into shutting up.

But as often happens, bullying backfires.

jaywalker 3 years ago

"Maybe they didn't want an apology, but by contacting the principal, it's clear that they did intend to intimidate this girl into shutting up"

So many comprehension challenged people, so little time. Sontag contacted the organization that sponsored the trip, not the principal. Since that' all they did, your contention of "intimidation" and "bullying" is the worst kind of tripe. Well done.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

Who they contacted changes nothing-- they wouldn't have done it if they didn't expect retribution of some sort.

But I'm curious-- what's with your brownnosing of brownback, anyway?

jaywalker 3 years ago

"Who they contacted changes nothing"

Other than your false contention that they contacted the school, that is.

"they wouldn't have done it if they didn't expect retribution of some sort."

This is pure speculation as neither of us know what they intended, but I suspect informing the organization that one of their charges had made false and disparaging remarks about the governor while in his presence was a natural and prudent action considering the embarrassment it reflected on that organization.

" what's with your brownnosing of brownback, anyway?"

For me, this has absolutely nothing to do with the politician in question. I would hold this same position no matter who they were or what affiliation they held. Much like when I called for the ouster of the moron who shouted "You lie!" during the President's address to Congress.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

"This is pure speculation as neither of us know what they intended,"

No, it's just willful ignorance on your part. And if this had been limited to the 65 close friends who were following this teenager, it would have created zero embarrassment-- any embarrassment that has been created is the result of the overreaction of the so-called adults involved.

"Much like when I called for the ouster of the moron who shouted "You lie!" during the President's address to Congress."

I did no such thing. At any rate, there's a big difference between a tweet by a fairly anonymous 18-year-old that was unlikely to be read by much of anybody, and an elected, supposedly adult, member of congress doing a rather petty bit of political grandstanding while millions of people are watching on television. But it was his right to do so, and to my knowledge, there were no authority figures threatening to punish him if he failed to apologize (which I don't believe he ever did.)

jaywalker 3 years ago

"No, it's just willful ignorance on your part."

Oh. So you can state for a fact exactly what their intention was? I can't. That's not 'willful ignorance', just honesty.

"I did no such thing"

Are you ok? You seem to be having more trouble than usual in the comprehension department. Who said YOU did any such thing? I was referring to myself. And of course there's a difference to the two incidents. It wasn't an analogy, but an example of how one is not free from the repercussions from the dumb stuff they say.

Joe Wilson apologizes: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/09/joe-wilson-apologizes-for_n_281541.html

House to vote for censure: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/house-prepares-for-a-vote-on-rebuking-wilson/

House rebukes Wilson: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/16/us/politics/16wilson.html

woodscolt 3 years ago

"Second, the last 5 years the only bullies have been on the Democrat side."

At least this teenager is more aware of current american affairs than you. Go ahead and pretend to be the spelling marm, you got nothing else to go on. Once again, a republican is completely in the wrong and resorts to fantasy.

Kendall Simmons 3 years ago

How the heck is that comment "bullying"???

Kendall Simmons 3 years ago

(I was responding to savarulz's comment. Sorry...should have stated that in my post.)

woodscolt 3 years ago

Lets see, what was that I said about who would be apologizing? I guess we know who was right on this one, huh savarulzy

woodscolt 3 years ago

"Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically"? My bet is that she doesn't have a clue what Brownback or any other politician stands for " KS

This girl is a million miles over your head ,KS.

KS 3 years ago

She probably has a million texts and tweets to her credit.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

I'm sure she does. The fact is, technology is changing the face of the political landscape all over the world. Take a look at the changes it wrought in Egypt and even China. Luddites like you tried and are trying to stem that tide of change but it didn't exactly work. I'm sure it frightens the hell out of you to be a dying breed but this is the 21st Century. They aren't calling this the "Information Age" for nothing.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

DIST, your three point assessment in your second paragraph is spot on! I am part of the older generation and, although I text occasionally with my family, most of the time I find it just as easy to pick up the phone. I have a twitter account but rarely use it. My children and grandchildren text and twitter all of the time. Social networking is creating an anthropological revolution all over the world the likes of which has never been seen before and our younger generations are in the thick of it. It's creating billionaires of people not even out of their twenties. (If I recall correctly, one of them isn't even able to legally drink yet.) Compared to these young adults in their spiderwebs made up of cell towers I grew up and lived my life in a vacuum.

KS 3 years ago

Oh give me a break! Lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits. Is that all one thinks about? That will fix nothing.

deec 3 years ago

It will "fix" her right, and the right of others in the future, to express a disrespectful constitutionally protected political statement in a school context without repercussions.

KSManimal 3 years ago

Actually, KS, this is EXACTLY the sort of problem a lawsuit WILL fix.

See, it is the JOB of the courts to intervene when another branch of government steps out of line. It's a little thing we have built into the system. It's called "checks and balances."

I would've expected you to understand this, given that politics is your "hobby" and this is a fundamental piece of how our government is organized.

Shelley Bock 3 years ago

And the Daily Mail in London, UK.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

I fully suspect that now that the holiday weekend is over the news services in the US will pick this up and beam it all over the world. It addresses a lot of issues that don't just deal with partisan politics alone; among them generational age, technology and governmental suppression. It may just kick off (horror of horrors!) a "Kansas Spring".

Amy Heeter 3 years ago

Brownback's biggest problem is his staff and PR. Like a noose.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

That 10 million is being paid by the Kansas University Athletic Assc. It's not coming out of state funds or our taxes. It was a bad business investment and as far as I'm concerned doesn't affect me the slightest. The Assoc. is getting what it deserves. It's ironic when we have state of the art athletic facilities while the rest of the university infrastructure crumbles.

appleaday 3 years ago

One has to do with First Amendment rights to free speech and the other has to do with a game played by men in tights.

jaywalker 3 years ago

She's had exactly two opportunities to conduct herself with class in this case and blown 'em both. Sad.

"And I don't know that he would listen to what I have to say."

Aaaah. Don't think that! You were so eloquent and thought provoking the first time, I'm certain any elected official would find it constructive to sit down with you. Their time isn't valuable at all.

savarulz 3 years ago

Unlike Liberals, we Conservatives like to debate, we are the ones with a open mind while you Liberals are closed. When you lose you resort to name calling and violence. Yeah that's mutual respect.

kernal 3 years ago

Depends on who you're talking with savarulz. Over the years I've known both conservatives and liberals who can't have a civil political discussion without throwing in explicatives, having temper tantrums and rants. Mutual respect begins with one person.

Kendall Simmons 3 years ago

You're calling Liberals names right here...and being disrespectful by stereotyping with vast negative generalizations. Does that mean that you lost???

Like it or not, there are many people of both liberal and conservative persuasion who, at least at times, do not debate (which requires a discussion of the topic at hand) but, rather, opt for making personal attacks on the other person. To insult. To stereotype. To call names. To attempt to "win" the argument not by logic but by belittling and demeaning the other person.

To not recognize that this happens on BOTH sides would require an extremely closed mind, indeed.

jaywalker 3 years ago

I'd like my representatives to encourage respectful dialogue with their opponents, Gandalf. But I'm not going to blame them for not finding it productive to converse with someone that behaves in the manner in which this student did. Is that how you'd operate? Would you walk around your work place bad-mouthing the boss and then expect to receive respect from him? If you were conducting a conference and one of your employees decided it a good time to tweet such language about you, you'd seek out that employee and extend the courtesy and respect they refused you?

jaywalker 3 years ago

"You mean like shooting "hogs" from a copter?"

Huh?

"Or shouting "you lie" during a presidential address"

Despicable behavior and I said so at the time.

"PS I told my boss he was nuts several times...then I proved it to him. All my raises came right on schedule and larger than normal"

Yeah, sure you did.

jaywalker 3 years ago

It's sad but revealing that you consider telling your boss he's "nuts" a shining example of talking "man to man."

In other news, still waiting for that first thought provoking post from Gandalf. Posters are advised not to hold their breath.

jaywalker 3 years ago

And loony as tune. But then I wasn't talking about your demeanor and you happily proved my point. Thank you.

jaywalker 3 years ago

So sorry, that should be 'as a toon.'

jafs 3 years ago

Did you see the part about how the governor's office monitors social media for any mention of his name?

I thought you said they weren't doing that.

jaywalker 3 years ago

Are you talking to me, jafs? 'Cuz I've never said they weren't monitoring social media, just that they weren't doing it merely to discover negative comments or to solely monitor what high schoolers were tweeting. Rather that social media is an effective and burgeoning tool for politicians and businesses and has widespread use in such capacities.

bad_dog 3 years ago

Pure speculation on my part, but I'd venture a guess this isn't the first tweet in concurrence with Ms. Sullivan's opinion.

Probably not even the first that week.

jaywalker 3 years ago

Just by looking at this board one would have to wholeheartedly agree with you, dog. I believe the overriding issue and what prompted the governor's office to inform the organization was the fact the student was in an arranged conference with the man.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

So, you're OK with the gov's office being petty, immature and vindictive, but an 18-year-old girl gets held to a different standard.

Vintage jaywalker.

jaywalker 3 years ago

Petty, immature, and vindictive.......

To date, the Governor's office discovered a tweet and informed the organization of the incident. That's it. Nothing else. Haven't said anything else, haven't done anything else. Just informed the sponsor who secured an exclusive conference with the leader of a state that one of their charges had posted false, disrespectful, and immature statements while in the presence of the governor.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

"Gee, I wonder what position you'd be taking if it had been a conservative leaning student behaving similarly while in conference with Sebelius or President Obama."

I'd have done what any adult would have done-- ignored it.

Not that I'd expect you to understand that.

jaywalker 3 years ago

"I'd have done what any adult would have done-- ignored it."

You mean like you are right now?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

I'd say "nice punt," but it went backwards out of your your end zone.

jaywalker 3 years ago

Let's see, I asked you what position you'd take if the party's were reversed, you said you'd ignore it, I pointed out that's not what you're doing right now, and somehow I'm the one that fumbled the ball.

Mmkay.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

That bit of idiocy is all you got?

jaywalker 3 years ago

"That bit of idiocy is all you got?"

Let's see, you asserted that I'd fumbled the ball with a previous post and I simplified the conversation to its essence, proving your hypocrisy. Whew! That is idiotic!

"The controversy here is not the tweet of the girl, but rather the McCarthyesque reaction by the governor, the organization and the principal (and you.)"

Never takes you long to revert to hyperbole. McCarthyesque?! Let's review the facts in evidence:
-Girl tweets lies and disparaging remarks -Governor's office catches it while monitoring social media for business purposes -Office informs sponsoring group of behavior -Principal requests student write a letter of apology

Why, it's the Red Scare all over again!!!

Only one of us exhibiting idiocy here, bozo. And I could have sworn you'd bring a rational and well reasoned argument to the board. Silly me.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

If you pump yourself up vigorously enough, you might pop that brown stain off of your nose.

jaywalker 3 years ago

Nor does it take long for you to completely shrivel and revert back to wholly personal attacks. Can't debate the facts or rebut a thing - just be a bozo. Too predictable.

jaywalker 3 years ago

"BTW it takes more than a lot of words to make a substansive post!"

Sure does. Takes an active and thoughtful mind. What's that say about your dearth of such?

jaywalker 3 years ago

"That I'm wasting time talking to you?"

Heavy sigh. Like I said below, you're one sad individual Gandalf. Maybe one day you'll grow up.

denali 3 years ago

Well, considering the Governor's PR flack said the same thing, I believe she raises a good point.

Lisa Medsker 3 years ago

"Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor's spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan's message wasn't respectful and that it takes mutual respect to 'really have a constructive dialogue.'" I'm looking for any evidence at all that Brownback has any respect whatsoever for anyone or anything other than his own agenda and interests.

"Brownback's office didn't return calls or emails Sunday from the AP."

Uh-huh. Respect, right?

aryastark1984 3 years ago

Yeah. The first amendment. It is such an unimportant issue.

cowboy 3 years ago

He sees you when your tweeting He knows when your awake.....

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

"He knows when your awake....." And on Facebook!

woodscolt 3 years ago

What will be interesting is to see how many people loose their jobs over this. Brownback should be the first but he could just throw Sontag under the bus and say he had no part in this. The principal is a prime candidate for the unemployment line. It will depend on how it plays out from here. Without a doubt, if the bully's keep on bullying than someone is going to loose their job. The state owes Emma a debt of gratitude for standing her ground.

Alceste 3 years ago

Given the "monitoring" going on over at Brownback's office, I trust all with Tweets, Twurts, Facebook, Spacebook, MySpace, whatever have begun to send all manner of Tweets and Twits which correctly finger the Governor of Kansas with "personal salutes"?!

bolshavik_vw 3 years ago

You go girl! Stand your ground and stick to your word. And you will go far.

Alceste 3 years ago

While you're at your Tweeting and Twitting.....email the superior educator/administrator/principal Karl R. Krawitz/henchman at:

eakrawit@smsd.orgp>eakrawit@smsd.org>

Armstrong 3 years ago

And now time for the concequence of your actions phase of the story. What will be interesting to see is the fallout from Miss Know nothings tweet. She just insulted the guy who holds the purse strings for education in the state. She represented her school while insulting the guy who holds the purse strings to fund her school.She embarrassed the principal who could possibly expell her for misconduct

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

So, what you're saying is that the governor and the principal should throw a temper tantrum to beat all tantrums, punishing everyone in the state.

I hope the guv and the principal have more maturity than they've demonstrated so far, and considerably more than you're apparently capable of.

aryastark1984 3 years ago

If I were her, I would say "expel me. Come on I dare you! I DOUBLE DOG dare you."

"Hello, ACLU - I would like to file a law suit. Oh, and while you are at it, could I get Alan Dershowitz to write me a letter of recommendation for NYU. "

Expelled. Oh man. Only if she is lucky.

Armstrong 3 years ago

Wow so brave and profound from those on the sidelines. You must be proud

jafs 3 years ago

Apparently not - he believes in much more serious consequences than the activity involved.

Otherwise, the "eye for an eye" school would have the governor insult her in a little tweet, and that would be the end of it.

bad_dog 3 years ago

Oh yeah?

I'm rubber & you're glue...

your motherwearsarmyboots

Richard Payton 3 years ago

Free speech, now on this forum one must follow the rules or the message gets the boot!

Mary Alexander 3 years ago

I am very proud of Ms. Sullivan for standing up for freedom of speech do not back down. We do not live in a Dictator state Brownback needs to be recalled. I hope they read this one.

kernal 3 years ago

Good on her parents for standing by Emma!

Principal Krawitz, I recommend Prilosec.

keith horinek 3 years ago

I support her right to free speech, however, most everything, if not all she said in her tweet was a lie, said only to impress her friends. How much character does she have, I wouldn't trust her after this event. Also, what ever happened to respecting her elders? She may not agree or like Brownback and that's her choice, but she's only 18 years old. She shows no respect for a person in a leadership role. She's a total loser in my book, and if her parents back her they are completly missing an oportunity to teach this young person a life lesson, which is: treat others how you would want them to treat you. what a shame.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

It was Brownback's office who gave this a bigger life than the 65 followers it would have been limited to otherwise-- 65 people who likely knew that she was joking around, even if it stated her true feelings towards him.

I'm much more concerned about the immaturity exhibited by the governor's office than the words of an 18-year-old girl intended for a very narrow audience.

Alceste 3 years ago

.....but it's just fine and dandy for her to enlist, be given a gun, and go off to war, right? Excellent.

beatrice 3 years ago

You know about a single tweet from this girl, and you call her a "total loser." You are in no position to label someone based on such little information. Based on your comment, it is proof that not all elders should be shown respect.

keith horinek 3 years ago

you only get one chance to make a first good impression in this world. she blew hers....................

Enlightenment 3 years ago

agree with beatrice, age does not warrant respect. I know many adults that clearly have not earned respect. So many older people that believe they have a sense of entitlement without any responsibility.

Kendall Simmons 3 years ago

No...you get countless chances to make a good first impression. After all, there are countless people in the world to meet for the first time.

Plus, believe it or not, even with all of the media attention right now, this is actually nothing more than a tempest in a teapot. Indeed, most people haven't heard of this tweet issue or paid any particular attention to it...and, of those who have, most people will forget all about it. We're here in Kansas, so it's bigger to us...but we, too, will forget about it.

beatrice 3 years ago

So someone is a "total loser" because of not making a good first impression on you? People are given one chance and one chance only, and if they do not live up to your standard of perfection at that moment then that person is a "total loser"?

Gosh, I guess I don't expect others, especially when they are still in their teens, to behave perfectly at all times. I'm also quite sure you never once spoke out in class or sent a note to a fellow student when you were in school. Nice to know we have someone around here who was apparently an absolutely perfect student when a teenager.

Or are you just judging someone you don't know far too harshly? If so, that blowsalot.

bklonnie 3 years ago

Exactly, and as another poster said, age absolutely does not warrant respect. Anyone who thinks that, doesn't get out much in this world.

guess_again 3 years ago

Prefered skills: University of Devonshire degree

beatrice 3 years ago

The story was in the Phoenix newspaper today. It is national.

Lane Signal 3 years ago

Way to go Ms. Sullivan! I think the biggest mistake one can make in these kinds of situations is to keep things private. The principal and the governor's office are shown as the bullies. Perhaps the governor's office will think twice next time they think they can intimidate someone into silence. I think the real villain here is the principal. His comment about this being a "private matter" seem to betray an understanding that his position would not stand up to public scrutiny. He needs to realize that an important part of his job is advocate for his students. He should have been the one to protect this student's right to free speech. If he wanted to express disappointment or concern about what she did, I think that would be fine. He might also have told her that he was notified about the incident so she could be aware that the governor's political machine is watching social media and are quite petty. But he did not have the courage or wisdom to see the limit to his authority. I think he should apologize and I think he needs to work on a better understanding of his role as principal.

gphawk89 3 years ago

Way to go, Emma, for not backing down! Hopefully - in the future - when you have a job and make disparaging comments about your management - and continue to do so after receiving verbal and written reprimands - and refuse to apologize - things will work themselves out in a similar fashion. Kinda doubt it, though.

guess_again 3 years ago

So, we all "work" for the Governor???

I don't think so.

jafs 3 years ago

Very odd.

The governor works for us, not the other way around.

The same is true of the principal of the school.

gphawk89 3 years ago

It's been a while since I was in high school but I distinctly remember the principal having some authority over the students. I don't ever remember feeling like I had the right to tell the principal (or the teachers) what to do.

jafs 3 years ago

Both the governor and the school principal are public employees, who work for the taxpayers.

We don't work for them, and they're not our bosses.

They work for us, so in a sense we are their bosses, if you want to frame it in that way.

gphawk89 3 years ago

I agree that we are Brownback's "boss". But aren't law enforcement officers also public employees? So we're their bosses too, right? Next time you meet up with a couple of LEO's in a dark alley and they repeatedly tell you to take your hands out of your pockets, ignore their commands and tell them to $#&#% off and leave you alone. They'll apologize and leave - after all, they work for you, right?

jafs 3 years ago

You're mixing up a few things there.

LEO's are also public employees, and work for the public.

They have a number of rights that we have given them, through our legislation and court system, that are unique to them.

In addition, they sometimes abuse their power, and act incorrectly, just as principals and governors do.

Your example is interesting - what do you think gives the officers the right to tell you to take your hands out of your pockets if you're simply walking through an alley?

They don't have unlimited authority to tell people what to do just because they feel like it, you know.

You seem to think that we're in the army, and they're our commanding officers or something - that's not the situation at all.

beatrice 3 years ago

Where did she tell the principal what to do? She has simply refused to apologize for practicing her right to free speech. She did not tell the principal what to do, just what she wouldn't do.

woodscolt 3 years ago

Can you explain to me why the guv apologized? It couldn't be because emma is right

heygary 3 years ago

Great example ... get your 15 minutes by bad mouthing an elected official!

guess_again 3 years ago

Whose example? Emma tweeted to 65 friends. Sherriene Jones-Sontag is the one who made this national news. Yup, great example.

johnny5 3 years ago

I say RECALL BROWNBACK and oust the principal. We don't need elected officials or individuals with authority suppressing the peoples voice.

This world needs more free thinkers.

I'm not a registered democrat or republican. I don't vote party lines. I guess that makes me an independent. I like to be thought of as someone that can think for themselves.

Oh and while were at it, why don't we recall other state/federal elected officials that are working for their special interest groups (deep pocketbooks) instead of their constituents. And why all the bickering in D.C.. Can we all NOT just get along and get the job done.

And too think that this economy is going to get better anytime soon with our current congress - you're not fooling me.

bklonnie 3 years ago

Wow. The idiotic comments on here from people who call themselves conservatives are just off the charts. You people are a disgrace to your own party.

Armstrong 3 years ago

Liberal speak for I have nothing of substance to say

bklonnie 3 years ago

Good job there; you're one of the idiots I was talking about. You're a typical neo-conservative. You stand by "your guy" regardless of what he does, constantly turning a blind eye. Got news for you buddy, this is the United States of America, and we're protected by a little thing called free speech. If you don't understand what that is, then maybe it is you that should have paid a little more attention in school. Maybe you should take your buddy, Brownback, and he on over to China.

Armstrong 3 years ago

USMC '82 - '02. Don't tell me about protected speech. You should really stop making comments about posters you know nothing about. Semper Fi

bklonnie 3 years ago

That makes you look even more stupid, since apparently you didn't quite understand what you enlisted to protect. So not only are you giving conservatives a bad name, you're also tainting the Marines. I'm sure your fellow jarheads are proud. I can tell you one thing, the jarheads I know would be ashamed of themselves for making the comments you've made on this article. Then again, they're all much smarter than that.

beatrice 3 years ago

From what I can see, there are several conservatives making rather intelligent comments here. Most are not taking Brownback's side.

bklonnie 3 years ago

I was not referring to all of them, just people like Armstrong. The more he talks, the more it becomes apparent that he's a very confused person.

Armstrong 3 years ago

You're really not worth my time to respond to. Bye

bklonnie 3 years ago

But you responded anyways. So lame.

bklonnie 3 years ago

And by the way, I'm not a Liberal. But nice try. Come again.

beatrice 3 years ago

Actually, no party or ideological bent is immune to making unsubstantiated accusations about the others' lack of intelligence. No reason to say it is just a liberal thing.

Lawrence4Life 3 years ago

"Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor's spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan's message wasn't respectful and that it takes mutual respect to "really have a constructive dialogue." Brownback's office didn't return calls or emails Sunday from the AP."

I'm sure she's referring to the respectful way that the Governor's office reached out to Ms. Sullivan directly to discuss her choice of words. Oh, wait...that's right, they didn't do that, they pressured her school district to silence the troublemaker.

Mutual respect, my ass, they're worried about being shown up by an 18 yr old HS student.

What is democracy, if not enjoying the freedom to criticize our government?

I think we live in 1984...

deec 3 years ago

Hey guys, you can quit worrying about Brownback's feelings now. He apologized and admitted his staff was at fault, not Emma.

Eileen Jones 3 years ago

That principal is ignorant. He should be using this to remind students that they have certain freedoms in this country, guaranteed by the Constitution. Free speech is one.