Archive for Thursday, November 17, 2011

Brownback declares “A Week of Reconciliation,” urges Kansans to settle their differences

November 17, 2011

— Gov. Sam Brownback wants Kansans to settle their differences and forgive.

Brownback on Thursday issued a proclamation declaring this week, "A Week of Reconciliation."

“As we begin to gather with our family and friends this holiday season, I want to encourage Kansans to consider the impact of reconciliation,” Brownback said in a news release.

“Reconciliation involves owning the past and looking forward to the future. As Mahatma Gandhi said: ‘Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.' I urge all Kansans to contact and attempt to reconcile with anyone with whom they are estranged by harsh feelings or anger. When past wrongs are admitted and reconciliation is sought, a stronger relationship can be forged for the future," Brownback said.

Brownback said while it may be difficult, reconciliation can improve human relations.

Comments

Jim Williamson 3 years, 1 month ago

What a monumental load of cr@p, coming from this divisive clown.

If you voted for Sam Brownback, see a neurologist. You may be brain damaged.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

Flap Doodle 3 years, 1 month ago

How many threads did you spam with this same text today, merrill?

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

He doesn't take up any more space than the many zombies.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

thebigspoon 3 years, 1 month ago

How many times must we be subjected to irrelevant Merrillisms here. I thought the new LJW internet czar said there would be no toleration of posts that were not relevant to the discussion. Agree or disagree with Merrill, this type of post detracts from the discussion and makes it less desireable to participate.

Alex Parker 3 years, 1 month ago

I never said such posts would not be tolerated, but in this case, it does appear to be irrelevant.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

I enjoy and appreciate Merril's posts. I find the endless drivel about how Snap and others feel about a person boring. Don't read his post, and yes you have a right to not like them, but don't consider such posts as useful to discussion. That may be your point, you don't like real argument and like the distraction, and like the focus to be on your or snap's drivel. I think people who constantly post only personal remarks, should be warned, then kicked off as trolls. You have a right to opinion, but to fill comments with non topic drivel is boring. I don't know if you have other options, perhaps a blog about your emotions. I also think you resent Merril's energy. You guys are jealous, and you should be.

Jim Williamson 3 years, 1 month ago

I came back to read it again. I thought maybe someone had hacked the LJW site and posted a gag story. Nope. It's still here.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

Brownback is doing all he can to put out a dense smoke and screen because jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs and more jobs are not his forte'.

Meanwhile behind the scenes he is preparing to outlaw birth control..... so I hear.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 1 month ago

'zat from your usual source? (from a source)

Eride 3 years, 1 month ago

Is this an early April Fools joke?

Alyosha 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks, Sam. An obviously good sentiment, but why don't you keep your eye on the ball of learning to run the executive branch of Kansas' government, and we'll all worry about our own interpersonal lives, thanks.

You weren't elected therapist in chief or pontifex maximus. Do your actual job and quit wasting our tax dollars on doing things you're not elected to do.

IgnorantYokel 3 years, 1 month ago

The Governor's office issues literally dozens (if not hundreds) of proclamations each year at the request of various groups who almost always provide the exact text used.

Seriously. This is nothing to make political hay about. It's actually a good message.

Hadley_says 3 years, 1 month ago

This does not appear to have been requested by any external group.

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

Reconcile him; re-elect him to the Senate so we can get rid of him here. Send him back to live with his cloistered C-Street goons. He is an embarrassment to Kansas, but at least when he was 1,100 miles to the east, he was not meddling in the day-to-day lives of the home folks. By-the-way, take Kobach with him, they can join up in Olde Virginny with Klein at Liberty U. for a repression trio.

Kim Murphree 3 years, 1 month ago

No...someone needs to go to him and appeal to his HUGE ego...say "Sam, you are the savior--only YOU can lead the Republicans to victory in the Presidential election...QUIT the Governor's job and go on the campaign trail...QUIT so that you can give it your all.. you KNOW you are the ONE" That's all it would take to get rid of him....and then, well, we will have more of a circus to watch...

youngjayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Is SB planning to practice what he is preaching? The dude is unbelievable!

plainspeaking 3 years, 1 month ago

When the guv admits that he's wrong about cutting funding for the arts, listening to Koch & Co., and hiring a bunch of nitwits for cabinet secretaries, we'll consider forgiving him.

overthemoon 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm thinking this isn't a two way process, plainspeaking. He's wanting us to admit we're wrong about everything and just shut up and let him Corporatize and Catholicize the whole state.

thebigspoon 3 years, 1 month ago

Hey, Mr. Brownback, herre's an idea for your ewly minted "Reconciliation Week": why don't you apologize to the Kansas public, as you did to the Indian nations, aboout how you and your cronies have lied, deceived, cheated and generally wrought destruction on the rights and privileges of the people of Kansas? I might be less inclined to believe you will do this than I would be to believe that pigs can fly, but not much.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 1 month ago

I will bet that Governer Hair of Texas sent him this one to thank him for his participation in the great Glory Halleleuya prayer rally last fall. Praise Be!!

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm wondering if Brownback plans to stop after calling every resident of Kansas to apologize for being himself, or will he continue on and dial every number in America.

fnord 3 years, 1 month ago

Reconcile, huh? Really? Sure. As soon as he packs his bags & leaves. As soon as he reinstates Arts funding & makes things right again.

cowboy 3 years, 1 month ago

Jan Rolls 3 years, 1 month ago

Texas last fall? This idiot was in iowa just the other day with perry campaigning for him. He has time for that but not for helping us. He should apologize to all of us in an open statement published in every newspaper in the state.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

Maybe it would help if we all became simple minded extreme right nuts. Then we would just worship tax cuts to the wealthy.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

I was feeling down when I posted that. I certainly agree the divisiveness has hurt our country and our state. I feel very cynical about Gov. Brownback. I was watching scenes of an peppersprayed old woman, a nice old woman. then a scene of a NY legislator who did not address the OW issues except to denigrate them as people. I thought for decades, I have heard and observed how corrupted the congress and senate is through lobbyists and big money. Then facing the new Kansas laws, that I see as gerrymandering our right to vote, even in some states to limit voices to encourage people to register to vote. I consider my remarks as contrary to my own goals, that people from the different sides must work together to make economic and human rights important enough to override corruption. I just felt mean about it.

question4u 3 years, 1 month ago

ROME — Pope Samuel I wants Kansans to settle their differences and forgive. The Pope on Thursday issued a proclamation declaring this week, "A Week of Reconciliation."

“As we begin to gather with our family and friends this holiday season, I want to encourage Kansans to consider the impact of reconciliation,” Pope Samuel I said in a news release.

When asked what effect his message might have on state legislators such as Virgil "Murder 'em From Helicopters" Peck, Pope Samuel I answered,"Hey, do you think I can work miracles?"

kugrad 3 years, 1 month ago

The user agreement prevents me from expressing my opinion. Suffice it to say Brownback, that I am tired of your hollow rhetoric. I extend a finger in your general direction.

cowboy 3 years, 1 month ago

Since the sensitive moderation deleted my last post I'll reword it politically correct.

If Sam wants to be a preacher let him go and get ordained. It is not the role of the governor to decree this drivel. He seems to relish his role as executive preacher but that is not what his elected responsibilities are constitutionally speaking. In closing is there another governor in America who poses like he does ?

verity 3 years, 1 month ago

Does this mean Brownback plans to own his past and ask the people of Kansas for forgiveness?

weeslicket 3 years, 1 month ago

wow. just wow. wow. and wowee. a person just can't make up craep better than this.

anyways. sam is livin' large in the echo chamber. echo chamber eco chmbr ec chmb echm

Stuart Sweeney 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't think I could ever reconcile my feeling about King Sam and get that warm fuzzy feeling again!

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 1 month ago

I think SB really means it. Notice he is quoting from a "non-believer" instead of the bible? Wait a minute...I think I feel the holy spirit coming over me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a54iqE...

riverdrifter 3 years, 1 month ago

This from the guy who proclaimed "No reaching across the aisle. We are a team here", or words to that effect.

Katara 3 years, 1 month ago

"Gov. Sam Brownback urged his fellow Republicans to support the proposed $14 billion state budget that is coming up for a vote later tonight. And Brownback said he didn't want any Democratic votes. Reaching across the aisle for votes "is not the way you want to go," Brownback said to the House GOP caucus. "Show the state of Kansas that Republicans can govern and they can govern as a team," he said. Republicans hold large majorities in the House and Senate." http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/may...

Physician, heal thyself.

verity 3 years, 1 month ago

"Physician, heal thyself."

That summarizes it very nicely.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

"A Week of Reconciliation"

Translation-- Screw the 99%, and If you don't like it, kiss my Gubernatorial Behind.

truman1902 3 years, 1 month ago

Channeling the MAHATMA?? ELVES, ELVES----Fashion a TOGA & SANDALS for the EARL of TOPEKA, Wrap it and place it in MY BAG, whereby I will shimmy down the Governors' mansion & toss it onto his pile of offerings from the Koch family.. (Overheard somewhere atop the North Pole)

Kirk Larson 3 years, 1 month ago

Mahatma Gandhi also said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Makes me think of Brownback.

dipweed 3 years, 1 month ago

Oh man, I can't believe this one. Walk the talk Sambo! You've got a lot of reconciling to do with the people of this state.

dipweed 3 years, 1 month ago

Sambo is governor to all people of Kansas, not just governor of Republican voters.

jafs 3 years, 1 month ago

That's clearly not how he, and many others, think about it.

WilburNether 3 years, 1 month ago

Has the Governor had his feet washed recently?

Kansass 3 years, 1 month ago

So does this mean I'm supposed to forgive all the people that voted for Sam?

oldbaldguy 3 years, 1 month ago

The old fashion way in Kansas was shootings and lynchings. Let's everybody give each other a big hug except you Yankee abolitionist Redleg Jayhawkers.

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

question4u: Laughed at your reference to Pope Samuel! I think you are on to something, maybe a step toward solving worldly peace. Of all 8 of the "Stan" countries, only one, Brownbackistan is a fundamentally controlled Catholic country; the others: Afghanistan, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Kyrgyzstan are all basically Muslim. Can we use our "Pope" to interact with the other 7 to bring about some holy resolution!

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

Sam's favorite: "Rum and Koch-a-Kola"!

Hong_Kong_Phooey 3 years, 1 month ago

Is that the stance Republicans are taking regarding their bitterness over how the Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act was pushed through Congress? Yeah, I didn't think so.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

He might mean his fellow republicans, Many are stunned at his actions. The republican party might be coming awake.