Archive for Thursday, November 17, 2011

Brownback declares “A Week of Reconciliation,” urges Kansans to settle their differences

November 17, 2011

— Gov. Sam Brownback wants Kansans to settle their differences and forgive.

Brownback on Thursday issued a proclamation declaring this week, "A Week of Reconciliation."

“As we begin to gather with our family and friends this holiday season, I want to encourage Kansans to consider the impact of reconciliation,” Brownback said in a news release.

“Reconciliation involves owning the past and looking forward to the future. As Mahatma Gandhi said: ‘Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.' I urge all Kansans to contact and attempt to reconcile with anyone with whom they are estranged by harsh feelings or anger. When past wrongs are admitted and reconciliation is sought, a stronger relationship can be forged for the future," Brownback said.

Brownback said while it may be difficult, reconciliation can improve human relations.

Comments

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

He might mean his fellow republicans, Many are stunned at his actions. The republican party might be coming awake.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 2 years, 5 months ago

Is that the stance Republicans are taking regarding their bitterness over how the Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act was pushed through Congress? Yeah, I didn't think so.

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

Sam's favorite: "Rum and Koch-a-Kola"!

jackbinkelman 2 years, 5 months ago

So, sam, will you lead by example? Uh huh.. thought not..

TomJoad23 2 years, 5 months ago

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

question4u: Laughed at your reference to Pope Samuel! I think you are on to something, maybe a step toward solving worldly peace. Of all 8 of the "Stan" countries, only one, Brownbackistan is a fundamentally controlled Catholic country; the others: Afghanistan, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Kyrgyzstan are all basically Muslim. Can we use our "Pope" to interact with the other 7 to bring about some holy resolution!

oldbaldguy 2 years, 5 months ago

The old fashion way in Kansas was shootings and lynchings. Let's everybody give each other a big hug except you Yankee abolitionist Redleg Jayhawkers.

Kansass 2 years, 5 months ago

So does this mean I'm supposed to forgive all the people that voted for Sam?

WilburNether 2 years, 5 months ago

Has the Governor had his feet washed recently?

dipweed 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh man, I can't believe this one. Walk the talk Sambo! You've got a lot of reconciling to do with the people of this state.

Kirk Larson 2 years, 5 months ago

Mahatma Gandhi also said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Makes me think of Brownback.

autie 2 years, 5 months ago

HIs current approval ratings must be in the toilet by now. He needs to get out and kiss some babies. And while he is at it, he can kiss my a**.

truman1902 2 years, 5 months ago

Channeling the MAHATMA?? ELVES, ELVES----Fashion a TOGA & SANDALS for the EARL of TOPEKA, Wrap it and place it in MY BAG, whereby I will shimmy down the Governors' mansion & toss it onto his pile of offerings from the Koch family.. (Overheard somewhere atop the North Pole)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 5 months ago

"A Week of Reconciliation"

Translation-- Screw the 99%, and If you don't like it, kiss my Gubernatorial Behind.

Katara 2 years, 5 months ago

"Gov. Sam Brownback urged his fellow Republicans to support the proposed $14 billion state budget that is coming up for a vote later tonight. And Brownback said he didn't want any Democratic votes. Reaching across the aisle for votes "is not the way you want to go," Brownback said to the House GOP caucus. "Show the state of Kansas that Republicans can govern and they can govern as a team," he said. Republicans hold large majorities in the House and Senate." http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/may...

Physician, heal thyself.

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

This from the guy who proclaimed "No reaching across the aisle. We are a team here", or words to that effect.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 5 months ago

I think SB really means it. Notice he is quoting from a "non-believer" instead of the bible? Wait a minute...I think I feel the holy spirit coming over me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a54iqE...

Stuart Sweeney 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't think I could ever reconcile my feeling about King Sam and get that warm fuzzy feeling again!

weeslicket 2 years, 5 months ago

wow. just wow. wow. and wowee. a person just can't make up craep better than this.

anyways. sam is livin' large in the echo chamber. echo chamber eco chmbr ec chmb echm

verity 2 years, 5 months ago

Does this mean Brownback plans to own his past and ask the people of Kansas for forgiveness?

cowboy 2 years, 5 months ago

Since the sensitive moderation deleted my last post I'll reword it politically correct.

If Sam wants to be a preacher let him go and get ordained. It is not the role of the governor to decree this drivel. He seems to relish his role as executive preacher but that is not what his elected responsibilities are constitutionally speaking. In closing is there another governor in America who poses like he does ?

kugrad 2 years, 5 months ago

The user agreement prevents me from expressing my opinion. Suffice it to say Brownback, that I am tired of your hollow rhetoric. I extend a finger in your general direction.

question4u 2 years, 5 months ago

ROME — Pope Samuel I wants Kansans to settle their differences and forgive. The Pope on Thursday issued a proclamation declaring this week, "A Week of Reconciliation."

“As we begin to gather with our family and friends this holiday season, I want to encourage Kansans to consider the impact of reconciliation,” Pope Samuel I said in a news release.

When asked what effect his message might have on state legislators such as Virgil "Murder 'em From Helicopters" Peck, Pope Samuel I answered,"Hey, do you think I can work miracles?"

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

Maybe it would help if we all became simple minded extreme right nuts. Then we would just worship tax cuts to the wealthy.

bobberboy 2 years, 5 months ago

Brownback and his cronies don't have any idea how to run a government. Brownback should stop trying to be a governor and go preach in some backward hayseed church.

Jan Rolls 2 years, 5 months ago

Texas last fall? This idiot was in iowa just the other day with perry campaigning for him. He has time for that but not for helping us. He should apologize to all of us in an open statement published in every newspaper in the state.

cowboy 2 years, 5 months ago

fnord 2 years, 5 months ago

Reconcile, huh? Really? Sure. As soon as he packs his bags & leaves. As soon as he reinstates Arts funding & makes things right again.

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm wondering if Brownback plans to stop after calling every resident of Kansas to apologize for being himself, or will he continue on and dial every number in America.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 5 months ago

I will bet that Governer Hair of Texas sent him this one to thank him for his participation in the great Glory Halleleuya prayer rally last fall. Praise Be!!

thebigspoon 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey, Mr. Brownback, herre's an idea for your ewly minted "Reconciliation Week": why don't you apologize to the Kansas public, as you did to the Indian nations, aboout how you and your cronies have lied, deceived, cheated and generally wrought destruction on the rights and privileges of the people of Kansas? I might be less inclined to believe you will do this than I would be to believe that pigs can fly, but not much.

its_just_math 2 years, 5 months ago

Brownback is responsible for alot of turmoil in Lawrence, and maybe he feels bad about things he's done to upset the Fleabagger crowd too. Maybe he hopes that his call for a "week of reconciliation" will get the Fleabaggers off the bongos and the bongs and out and looking for a job.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 5 months ago

Bitter Clingers (from a source) are having a caniption fit. This could be a result of PTBD (Post Tramatic Brownie Disorder). BigDaddycare may cure this disorder. Doctors need to read BigDaddycare before they treat it though.

its_just_math 2 years, 5 months ago

Phogfan86(anonymous) says…

I came back to read it again. I thought maybe someone had hacked the LJW site and posted a gag story. Nope. It's still here.

No, not a gag. Just SR connecting to Lawrence loons via some low level needling /slash/ button-pushing. SR is just poking fun at his favorite politician's sincere wish. If Sebelius had asked for it, Scott would've held a personal interview with her and it would've been a 3 column/ 3 series story.

plainspeaking 2 years, 5 months ago

When the guv admits that he's wrong about cutting funding for the arts, listening to Koch & Co., and hiring a bunch of nitwits for cabinet secretaries, we'll consider forgiving him.

youngjayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Is SB planning to practice what he is preaching? The dude is unbelievable!

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

Reconcile him; re-elect him to the Senate so we can get rid of him here. Send him back to live with his cloistered C-Street goons. He is an embarrassment to Kansas, but at least when he was 1,100 miles to the east, he was not meddling in the day-to-day lives of the home folks. By-the-way, take Kobach with him, they can join up in Olde Virginny with Klein at Liberty U. for a repression trio.

IgnorantYokel 2 years, 5 months ago

The Governor's office issues literally dozens (if not hundreds) of proclamations each year at the request of various groups who almost always provide the exact text used.

Seriously. This is nothing to make political hay about. It's actually a good message.

Alyosha 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks, Sam. An obviously good sentiment, but why don't you keep your eye on the ball of learning to run the executive branch of Kansas' government, and we'll all worry about our own interpersonal lives, thanks.

You weren't elected therapist in chief or pontifex maximus. Do your actual job and quit wasting our tax dollars on doing things you're not elected to do.

tange 2 years, 5 months ago

A prelude to amnesty, sought?

Eride 2 years, 5 months ago

Is this an early April Fools joke?

worthlessljworldposter 2 years, 5 months ago

"I urge all Kansans to contact and attempt to reconcile with anyone with whom they are estranged by harsh feelings or anger." So I'm to ask Sam for his own recall? Awkward!

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

Brownback is doing all he can to put out a dense smoke and screen because jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs and more jobs are not his forte'.

Meanwhile behind the scenes he is preparing to outlaw birth control..... so I hear.

Jim Williamson 2 years, 5 months ago

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

Jim Williamson 2 years, 5 months ago

What a monumental load of cr@p, coming from this divisive clown.

If you voted for Sam Brownback, see a neurologist. You may be brain damaged.