Letters to the Editor

Cart not needed

November 12, 2011

To the editor:

In this space last week Warren Corman called for the exercise of some common sense in the way we manage our trash (as have others, though not in so many words); I heartily second the motion.

Similar to Warren, our 25-year-old, 30-gallon, $9.99 trash can is on track to outlast us and, like him and many others, we recycle at Walmart, compost everything (we do not send our garbage to the sewer treatment plant) and we use all our yard waste as mulch, kindling or firewood. Our can is set out for pickup no more than 20 times a year (so why would we want to pay monthly rent on an even larger cart?) We have no space to accommodate a 45-gallon cart — much less two of them — and the idea of the city spending $1 million on 22,000 carts (thus sending the existing 22,000 cans like ours to the landfill) is profligate in the extreme.

Everyone compares this “Great Recession” to the Great Depression; well, having experienced the latter (though not quite as much of it as Warren), I can assure you that we didn’t weather it by spending, rather by exercising common-sense frugality. We are still exercising it and we highly recommend it to other individuals, institutions and governments.

Comments

Abdu Omar 2 years, 10 months ago

Perfectly worded and the right thoughts. I third the motion.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 10 months ago

Bill's letter is hard to speak against however most trash cans do not last a lifetime. It is the principle of the matter.

The receptacles that the city offers or similar ones can be purchased online or maybe through the local hardware stores. Animals do not get into these as easy.

Keep our solid waste pick up local.

If one wants to see the benefit of a beautiful recycled yard waste yard check out the yard of Bill Mitchell near KU.

Then again one might want to check out the beautiful yard waste wildscaped yard at Oak Hill and Prairie in the Brookcreek neighborhood.

Then again I am an advocate for Pay As You Throw. Not only would the big users pay their fair share it would likely encourage recycling. Keep recycling pick up vendors local!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

"The receptacles that the city offers or similar ones can be purchased online or maybe through the local hardware stores."

They would have to be almost exactly identical in order for the mechanized systems that actually do the heavy work of lifting them will work.

It's very difficult for me to imagine that it would be worthwhile to buy one online, considering the shipping cost for something that large, and the fact

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

that I was told the cost is only $72 for the trash cart in the 90s. (whoops!)

pizzapete 2 years, 10 months ago

It may be more efficient, but so what? Why should I have to rent a cart at $5 a month? I would be willing to buy a new cart for $20, but I shouldn't have to rent anything. Having us rent a cart is a total scam, we'll all be paying in rent 100 times what the cart is worth in just a few short years.

sunny 2 years, 10 months ago

Forcing us to 'buy' something. Hmmmm It's wrong on all levels. Most that are against the city forcing them to buy a simple trash can are in favor of the govt forcing Americans to 'buy health coverage'.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

"Forcing us to 'buy' something."

Car insurance and property taxes so that city services are available are the first things to come to mind.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

I just now learned something! When you click post, what is actually posted is NOT what is in the "Comment preview"!

Instead, what is posted is what is in the "Edit comment" box below it!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

Maybe the letter writer has a point. He could stand beside the curb waiting for the city trash truck to show up, and then he could heave his "25-year-old, 30-gallon, $9.99 trash can" way up and into the truck himself while the workers that would otherwise pull the lever to do it watch him heaving his own trash.

(But I wonder if he is tall enough to do it, he is going to need to lift it what, about 10 feet?)

And, since his "25-year-old, 30-gallon, $9.99 trash can" is on track to outlast him, he can hopefully look forward to many years of waiting beside the curb to get his exercise!

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 10 months ago

We like Mr. Bill (sorry) havn't room to store these critters, maybe the city will build me a shed at no extra cost to store these babys in---yew I will hold my breath

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't store my container inside a shed , just put it by the compost bin in the back yard. Then roll it out where the crew hooks it up to the truck and dumps it. I use the small one. I wish I could put my recyclable in one rather than driving them across town, I don't have a lot of recyclables, mostly paper but I only go to Walmart once or twice a year, but I am not a big shopper. I do appreciate Walmart and 12th. st. for recycling, I appreciate drop off sites, but I would appreciate curbside collection more. Curbside collection makes the most sense for the most homes and life styles. If the world was designed around me, there wouldn't be any liquor stores. I am blessed by living in an older well treed neighborhood, There is wild life. I like the bin the city provides, it is easy to use, It is a safer cleaner system to use the carts. Curbside collection of recyclables would keep a lot of usable materials out of our trash, sent down the road to a landfill. Curbside collection makes the most sense to me. I don't like the idea we should invest our future based in the theory we want to hold on to our old cans, old system. I am not afraid of change, I am afraid of not changing when it makes sense.