Archive for Monday, November 7, 2011

SRS launches adoption initiative

November 7, 2011

— Kansas is launching an effort to increase the number of children adopted through the state system.

Social and Rehabilitation Services Secretary Rob Siedlecki says his agency is starting a $300,000 marketing campaign to find adoptive homes for 420 children who don't have other prospects, such as adoption by relatives. The funds for the campaign announced Monday come from a federal program.

Siedlecki says the effort will focus on who are 8 years old and older, who may belong to a minority group, have a disability or belong to a sibling group that wants to stay together.

Siedlecki said 761 adoptions were finalized through the state in the fiscal year that ended June 30. He said 178 adoptions have been finalized through the state so far in the current fiscal year.

Comments

Katara 3 years, 9 months ago

Marketing campaign?

These children are not just some products that need better advertising.

And the $300,000 comes from a federal program? I thought that the state of Kansas wanted nothing to do with federal funding - you know- too many strings attached and all.

Confrontation 3 years, 9 months ago

Brownback brags about how he adopted two of his own children. Yeah, but foster care kids weren't good enough for him. He did the more fairy tale sounding international adoptions. I think it's great that these foster care children might find good, permanent homes, but Brownback is beyond fake.

Janet FitzGerald 3 years, 9 months ago

Confrontation,

Have YOU adopted a child? Before you go talking about "fairy tale" adoptions, take a look at the processes and see how easy it is to adopt domestically. It is not. Clearly, it's easier, and often less expensive, to adopt internationally. I know, because I have two children from China who are very real and dear to us.

costello 3 years, 9 months ago

I HAVE adopted, and no it's not cheaper to adopt internationally. My sister adopted a child from Russia. Price tag: $30,000. I adopted a child from foster care. Price tag: $0.

Furthermore, after the adoption my sister and her husband got no support from anyone. I continued to receive an adoption subsidy and Medicaid to help defray the costs of supporting a child with serious emotional problems. My sister's son has emotional problems very similar to my son's, but they had to bear the full cost themselves.

It is not cheaper to adopt internationally.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 9 months ago

We explored both domestic and international adoptions. You're absolutely correct that the international way is more expensive. But after hearing all the horror stories with domestic adoptions, we decided to invest the extra money and go the China route. The problems with domestic adoptions is that the biological parents keep coming back and the courts have frequently sided with them. I met a couple in California that twice had a infant in their home only to have a biological parent come back within a six month window that the law allows. I can't imagine how a person would feel having their baby taken from their home, twice. I heard of another case where the biological father came forward after five years and argued successfully in court that his 6 month window should not begin until he found out about the child. That child was taken out of the adoptive home. The reason many go the international route, the more expensive route, is to avoid the complications of domestic adoptions.

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

The $300,000 will probably go to some advertising group in Texas. Someone who gave a whole lot of money to Brownback's campaign.

ylime3499 3 years, 9 months ago

I would love to adopt/foster! I have a fear though about our work schedules. No matter what anyone thinks about Brownback, whatever helps children is either worth it or at least worth a try!!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

$714.29 per child, among hard-to adopt groups.

that's money well spent in my book.

besides a marketing campaign, try: active recruitment; tax benefits; creative thinking RE the process of adoption.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

and, they should restart the whole KFFK initiative including phone number and website. that's all gone now, a big mistake.

one example of one page on that site: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4179/is_20000102/ai_n11738375/

I followed KFFK.org very closely in the '90s and early 2000's.

it was very well done.

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

Good ideas bearded_gnome, but they probably won't hire you to help out unless you live in Texas or Florida.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

TG, in case it wasn't obvious, I do support the 300K being spent this way. I hope it'll be spent effectively. then some other features of a multi-vector effort to increase adoptions including some of my points.

because after all it really is the kids, not the social engineering and the sexual preferences of the parents, not the hatred of Brownback, nor the natterings against republicans, etc.

it is the kids that matter here. without a plan as Costello describes below, you get hundreds of bordwalk arsonists coming out of foster care. and even more kids who never got the love and parental care they should've had.

costello 3 years, 9 months ago

I find it amusing that this article is juxtaposed next to the story about "reforming" Medicaid. And it follows the story about referring fewer kids to residential treatment by only a week or two.

As a person who adopted one of these hard to place children a few years ago, I think I have some insights into what helps make such a placement work. My son was nearly 13 when he came to me. He had serious emotional and behavioral problems. And he's a racial minority. He's the kid Mr. Siedlecki is talking about here.

I could not have afforded the mental health services if the state had not provided me with a medical card for my son. In addition, my son was placed in residential treatment twice. Had that not have been available, the adoption might have disrupted, because he was so out of control and I was so worn down.

Whenever I see one of these stories about cuts to the services which were so vital in helping me continue to parent my son to adulthood, I think, "Thank God, I'm not adopting in this environment!"

meggers 3 years, 9 months ago

Will same-sex couples be allowed to adopt?

oldbaldguy 3 years, 9 months ago

This may be a good thing. I have represented kids over the years who stayed in the system until they aged out because nobody wanted them.

Alceste 3 years, 9 months ago

This "thrust" is simply a comment on the dismal, utter failure of the state's foster care and child welfare system; it's vendors; and the people paid big bucks to work with problemed families. It is also a condemnation of The Adoption and Safe Families Act (ASFA, Public Law 105-89) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption_and_Safe_Families_Act ) which became the law of the land in 1997.

SRS has failed to embrace the concepts of family preservation and remains mired in a "...we've always done it this way itis....".

All of these children languishing in foster care drift due to the acceleration of the termination of parental rights process (TPR), which is an integral aspect of the Adoption and Safe Families Act.

The refusal of SRS to shoulder the responsibilities it creates for itself when it chooses to terminate parental rights (TPR) is disgusting. The "lawyers" who zealously go for the jugular in this TPR "process" whilst in court, disappear into the sliminess of "the law" and move on to the next victim as in their feeble brains, they've "won". Thus, the state of Kansas has exactly how many children "available" for adoption???....the bulk of the children being "special needs" children who will remain in state custody, for the most part, until they turn 18 when the state simply sets them out on their own.....aims them towards homeless shelters.....and washes their collective hands of the crime that has been committed.

Federal law mandates each and every child in foster care have written into the suppossed individualized "case plan" (NOT....it's a boiler plate template) a plan for "independent living". The privitized foster care vendors in the form of wealthy fat cat pimps like B. Wayne Sims' Kaw Valley Center operation take these teenagers to McDonald's; buy them french fries; then return them back to the foster care provider. Great planning along with a great plan.

Siedlecki can grandstand all he wants. He'll accomplish diddly boo. Watch.