Letters to the Editor

Menu choices

November 7, 2011

To the editor:

In regard to your articles on attracting retirees to Lawrence, I have a complaint. Many retirees are on limited incomes and cannot afford Meadowlark Estates and their opportunity to provide three meals a day. I know Lawrence does not like “chain” restaurants. However, there is a need for reasonably priced breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night pie and coffee after grandchildren’s activities in the northwest area of Lawrence.

There are several places on South Iowa and 23rd Street, but what about the rest of the city/county? Suggestions are a Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel, Mimi’s, Village Inn, Panera or Einstein’s. I feel like the northwest part of the city is the orphan for restaurants with under $10 menus.

Please take into consideration those of us who have lived here for any period of time who chose to retire here for the many other benefits Lawrence has to offer. The lack of reasonable restaurants is why some drive to the Legends or Topeka to eat.

Comments

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

shoo-fly a bit sweet for me. My grandmother once made a mock apple pie out of soda crackers cause she thought I might need to know how. It was very good. I miss the peanut butter pie from the old Campus Hideaway.

texburgh 2 years, 5 months ago

Pace: You forgot shoo-fly pie.

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree with one point. There is a need for good late night pie. I also like morning pie. I don't agree a chain restaurant will deliver. The cafes and good restaurants in this town need to hire good pie makers. You don't have to have them on all the time. A good pie maker can make 10 or 20 pies in a morning. I like fruit pies, but I appreciate the need for your cream pies. It is an old fashioned talent but one that is appreciated when kids, oldsters or even a business man get real pie. I like rhubarb, just straight no strawberries. I like a cherry pie with a dash of ginger. I like sour cream raisin and pumpkin, sweet tater, apple, and pecan pie if made right. I remember when some of my kids teenage friends tasted their first real home made rhubarb pie, quite a few converts. Crust is a must,

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't think she cares what you people think.

Jimo 2 years, 5 months ago

"Many retirees are on limited incomes and cannot afford ..... However, there is a need for reasonably priced breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night pie and coffee after grandchildren’s activities in the northwest area of Lawrence."

Be definition, those whose limited incomes that are serious enough to play the "limited incomes card" will not be eating out much at all !!

Sorry but having a limited income implies someone who can't afford frequently eating out at some $7/lunch + tip chain restaurant. Limited income means: I cooked from scratch at home and spent my $7 on food enough for 3 meals. Or at most, a Subway sandwich once a week after church.

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Now, bea. A decent buffet has servers & fancy folks from the kitchen carving prime rib & hams. There are nice casseroles & jello dishes & fish filets. even brussel sprouts if you want them. The gravy comes in creamy chicken or brown beef & the rolls are crescent or whole wheat with enough spreadable butter to spackle a window. Just keep slidin' that tray down the line & noddin' your head at every offering.
Don't forget about dessert.

Besides, fine dining & eating for $10 are mutually exclusive unless you're talking about the gratuity.

Katara 2 years, 5 months ago

How about just making your own pie?

Or you could just watch the grocery store circulars for pie sales and stock up on them for when you want pie & coffee. It is certainly much more budget friendly.

This is an odd thing to complain about.

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

Boy, they get the only McDonald's with an indoor play area for grandkids and they complain.

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Gimme a nice, long buffet with some decent sit-down space & roving coffee carts. Furrs was the bomb.

Stain 2 years, 5 months ago

This letter strikes me as completely phony. It doesn't make any sense.

1. Several of the chain restaurants she mentions DO exist in Lawrence. And I promise you they are a LOT closer to where she lives than Topeka or Legends.

2. Most of the restaurants downtown DO have menus where one can get a meal for under $10. If she had tried any of them she's know that.

3. Nobody who was trying to pinch pennies because of a fixed income would be eating out so much.

4. Nobody would spend the cost of fuel and turnpike fees to drive to Topeka or the Legends to save two dollars on a meal. The math doesn't work out.

I wondered, which developer put this person up to this? Which chain restaurant is about to try to push its way into Lawrence with tax subsidies for developers?

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

Judy one more thing. The Lawrence market is flooded. Guess you will need to accept the new junk food plaza in the front yard of Meadowlark Estates because no else would come... it's that simple. Don't forget the extra sales tax while eating in the Junk Food Plaza.

Have no fear there is rush of old folks coming to Lawrence. All of this talk about seniors is nothing more than a scam to keep building for no reason other than to increase our taxes and user fees.

colicole81 2 years, 5 months ago

First of all, most restaurants in Lawrence, regardless of what side of town they are on have meals for under $10. Try Henry T's, Johnny's West, Applebee's, El Mezcal on Wakarusa, even Famous Dave's...need I go on. Second of all, retirees are most likely more financially able to eat out than most families of four with two working parents. After considering gas cost for both parents to get to and from work in addition to the cost of daycare average retirees have way more disposable income! Not to mention any additional costs such as diapers, formula, clothes, extra curricular activities, educational cost etc. Give me a break! Furthermore, if you can afford to go to the Legends for any reason you can afford to eat out once in a while.

oneeye_wilbur 2 years, 5 months ago

Lawrence is not going to attract retirees until Lawrence has a true retirement community. The existing so called communities are a way station to death.

observant 2 years, 5 months ago

Seems that it's as the right wing nutcases keep screaming, it's the free enterprise system at work. If there was a market for them there, they'd be there.And anyone who will drive 35 miles to avoid a 5 mile max drive across town has some other problems between their ears.

GardenMomma 2 years, 5 months ago

Seems to me if you don't want to drive five miles across town for a cheap post-grandkids activities pie and coffee, why would you prefer to drive 35 miles out of town to the Legends for it?

Gandalf 2 years, 5 months ago

Sorry Judy. Lawrence does not want all retiree's Only affluent ones.