Archive for Thursday, November 3, 2011

Reports of coyotes in Leavenworth prompt study

November 3, 2011

Leavenworth city officials are considering ways to reduce the number of coyotes inside city limits, possibly by including the animals in an ordinance designed to control the urban deer population.

City Manager Scott Miller said he has received reports of coyotes in city yards as well as in the county and neighboring Atchison County.

Miller told the Leavenworth City Commission during a study session Tuesday that the state allows municipalities to set their own policies for regulating coyotes, which are not a protected species, The Leavenworth Times reported.

"Certainly we don't want to be shooting coyotes, you don't want to be shooting guns off in the city limits," he said. "Traps, you don't want that either."

He said the city could add coyotes to its management plan for urban deer, which allows licensed bow hunters to take deer on city property and on other properties with written consent from the landowners.

Resident Jesse Jones told the commission he sees coyotes regularly and he's concerned about the safety of children in his neighborhood.

"If one of those coyotes is rabid and jumps over that fence and gets a child, it's not going to make a difference to them," he said of the coyotes.

However, Mayor Mark Preisinger, who lives near Jones, said he did not think the city had a coyote problem.

Miller said state officials told him there are no recorded coyote attacks on humans in Kansas.

The commission decided to consider the proposal for a final vote at a future meeting.

Comments

Steve Miller 2 years, 5 months ago

People need to worry about the deer population more than a measily old coyote. How many deer vehicle hits are happening each day causing a hell of alot more dollars than a coyote picking off the neighborhood cat ?? Get real, this is a waste of time conversation..

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

Them dang coyotes is smart. I had one swing by one of my deer feeders the other day, a site with a high-dollar covert trap camera on it. He (she, it, whatever) sensed things weren't right, eyeballed the camera (I hadn't been there for 9 days), clouded over and hauled hiney right on out of there. I have absolutely no doubt that a thousand (or two) years from now that coyotes will rule the earth. They're already working on it.

catfishturkeyhunter 2 years, 5 months ago

I love it how everyone is all the sudden a wildlife biologist when it comes to topics like this. To deny that urban spawl is not one of the main reasons for the population spikes in deer, coyotes, turkeys or what ever it may be, is foolish and absurd. Yes there is an abundance of easy un checked meals available for these animals. But humans are to blame, not the animals. People love to see these cute furry animas in there back yards, and who could resist feeding a doe and her fawn? Those are indeed the biggest contributing factors to this problem plain and simple. Everyone wants there house and 10-20 acres in the country or in a subdivision and they could care less about what its doing to the environment. It is eliminating hundreds of thousands of acres of land that would otherwise hold sustainable and healthy populations of wild life. It is allowing wild life to shed its fear of humans. Its eliminating thousands of acres of land that would otherwise be huntable by use of firearms or archery. While a coyote would certainly probably take down a person the chances of that are probably about as good as someone winning the power ball. "Coyote jump the fence and eat a kid" Are you serious? That is one of the most ridiculus things I have ever heard of. Obviously that person has never had the pleasure of being in the outdoors. Coyotes do eat on farm animals and if there was one bad thing you could say about them it would be that. New born calves covered in afterbirth are the most vunerable. After that a coyote would be a fool to tangle with a cow and decent sized calf. If anything, coyotes are probably doing Leavenworth and the surrounding area a favor by mopping up and eating all the rodents that would otherwise be problematic. Rodents are a staple in a coyotes diet. Also, coyotes aren't pack animals and its rare to see more than 2 at a time. The only time they gather in groups larger than that is when they are pups, and usually by 6 months they have parted ways. They are for the most part individuals who only keep company when breeding and raising pups. It might sound like a pack, but its usually individual coyotes communicating with other coyotes over a large area. So please people, all you suburbanites who think you know about wild life, get your facts straight. Reasearch the animals you are so quick to eliminate. Read about them, I do. I love to hunt and fish and read all I can about my quary. Everything from where they live, where they go, what they eat, to what they do on a daily basis, and the probelems they face to the problems they create.

kernal 2 years, 5 months ago

I've seen them early in the morning when out walking and they've never bothered me. They've been sighted in various neighborhoods for years, but since they roam the streets when most people are home in their beds, no one's made a big deal of it.

Maybe Leavenworth should contact the City of Chicago and see how they handled the coyote packs in the Windy City.

Katara 2 years, 5 months ago

Leavenworth just needs to buy some Acme products for the coyotes and that will solve their problem.

Antonym 2 years, 5 months ago

They will soon fall victim to those who wiped out the rabbits in my neighborhood.

Coyote Recipe 2-4 lbs of coyote meat 16 oz of apricot preserves 1 bottle BBQ sauce 1/2 purple onion diced 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper 1/2 tsp garlic powder Instructions: Throw all the ingredients in a crock pot and let them cook for about 8 hours. Bon appetite.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 5 months ago

"Its those fricking rabbits that are scary , there is a whole rabbit gang outside my house. They sneer at you and make gang signs to each other. Kill the wabbits"

I have that problem with squirrels. I leave the alone, but they still mock me. And that damn owl that lives within 50 yards of me will do nothing about them or the wife's ankle biter. I need to get a new owl.

cowboy 2 years, 5 months ago

Leave the coyotes alone , they don't want to be near you.

weiser 2 years, 5 months ago

Time to call in the roadrunner!

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 5 months ago

If this was cougars, me and my buddies would grab some beer, load up and go get us some!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

That was some good shooting (and some luck) there, Roe.

oldbaldguy 2 years, 5 months ago

their there because of the food and no one is out there thinning them out because you cannot hunt cougars in California. Coyotes multiply if they have ample food and nothing killing them.

oldbaldguy 2 years, 5 months ago

Used to shoot them all the time on the farm. They do kill calves and lambs. Hell on chickens too. Trapping and poisoning would impact the population but there are too many harmful side effects, like children and pets stepping in to traps or taking poison bait. Coyotes come in to town because there is easy food, not because you are building in their backyard. There are reports every year, particularly Southern Cal. about coyote attacks on little kids.

horsegirl 2 years, 5 months ago

A coyote killed my chihuahua just a few weeks ago right next to La Petite on 23rd Street. The problem with increased numbers of coyotes in town is not because of urban sprawl. After all, how much rural land is in Kansas? The problem is towns provide easy sources of food supply. Trash cans, small pets, etc. And no predators at all. In the country they are kept in check by farmers when they get close to their herds and simply lack of food. But there is never a lack of trash in towns. And no farmers to shoot them. I love animals, but coyotes do need to be kept in check.

lunacydetector 2 years, 5 months ago

the fine city of leavenworth, ks.....where you can build a swimming pool and not be required to install a fence for safety. i'd be more concerned about a child drowning in a back yard pool than a rabid coyote attacking a child.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Racoons and skunks are the most common carriers of rabies in the US with coyotes number 8 of the top ten. Bats are responsible for close to half of all human cases of rabies. Domesticated cats that live mostly outdoors are also common carriers.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 5 months ago

-- "I'm not a hunter, but I very much support hunting," he said. "I do believe that coyotes probably do form some ecological purpose, they're somewhere in the food chain, do something necessary."

Thank you for clearing that up for us.

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

How dare those callous creatures occupy our lands!! I do not even have children but the mere thought of those satanic buggers eating my children is going to make me go all American on their furry bums! We, as humans are part of the 23.9876453827152437847565960% that have thumbs and the coyotes don't. Lets occupy their spaces I mean this is your land, this is my land but this ain't their land!!!! I bet they are liberal coyotes as well!!!

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

The only time I ever shot at a running animal was a coyote that had been in with cattle that were spooked. It was close to 500 yds, the coyote was at a dead run so I held him at the 4:30 position in my 8x Weaver scope. Only figured on scaring it anyway so when the shot rang out I proceeded to put the rifle away. My B-I-L said "You got him!". We drove the truck over there, found a blood trail and after tracking him for over an hour in falling snow found him about 1/2 mile away. That 115 gr. deer load out of my .243 Winchester ruined the hide on that one.

prospector 2 years, 5 months ago

Woof

Woof

Protect the trade routes. Two to the body, one to the head.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 5 months ago

The increase in coyotes is because of the decrease in trap-door prairie squids. They never should have reintroduced the ferrets. Messed the whole food chain up.

autie 2 years, 5 months ago

the real threat is from all the burmese pythons released into the sewers. They will come up through your toilet and eat your children.

Gandalf 2 years, 5 months ago

Heck, I saw a coyote in a neighbors yard a couple of weeks ago. And one over by LHS about a month ago.

I've also seen rabbits, squirrels, possums and raccoons in my yard and a few bats flying at night. I don't know if rabbits carry rabies but the rest can.

Can I go bow hunting? Pretty please??

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

In Canada a couple of years ago, coyotes killed an adult woman in a park. That's very unusual behavior but it does happen.

hujiko 2 years, 5 months ago

Urban sprawl = Less habitat

Where else do you suppose these animals are going to go when you encroach on habitat that's been open for centuries?

Hide yo kids....

08Champs 2 years, 5 months ago

Live outside town less than 2 miles - and the coyotes have been much more visible (audible) this year than in any year I can remember. One of the worst sounds I have ever heard is a pack of coyotes.

tolawdjk 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes, JImo, there coyotes and people live in Colorado.

However, several towns in the Denver area have had recent issues with coyotes attacking people, particularly children. No, they have not been rabid, but there have been attacks.

His story is a bit far fetched, but I do think it is smart to address the issue.

Jimo 2 years, 5 months ago

Somebody needs to take a chill pill.

Humans have lived near coyotes for some time. There's over five million people living next door to them in Colorado alone. Heck, coyotes have been found on Manhattan in NYC! I don't recall the breathless newsreport about the rabid coyote that attacks a child in a backyard.

The odds of your child being attacked by a rabid coyote in your backyard are about as high as your child being molested .... by a dozen different people, on a dozen separate occasions!

Good Lord, why don't you worry about something with at least 1:100,000 odds, like your child being addicted to prescription pain killers or developing schizophrenia before the age of 18? Those are serious nightmares, not a marauding rabid coyote out of a Stephen King story.