Letters to the Editor

Rivalry bias

November 2, 2011

To the editor:

I understand the media advantages of a rivalry, but please do not express your pro-Free State bias at the expense of the hard-working athletes. Yes, the students get competitive, but the next day we are still students, peers and friends with our cross-town “rivals.” Referring to the Lawrence High School football team sans Strauss as “declawed” is insensitive, yet typical of the Lawrence Journal-World’s high school sports page. I don’t remember reading anything about the clipped-winged Firebirds after losing Jake Walter in last week’s soccer game.

It is the adults, not the students, who make these remarks and facilitate this exaggerated rivalry. Any member of the LHS football team, including Brad Strauss, will tell you that one person does not make a team. The friendly jersey exchange between Hunter Pierce and Johannes Reiber epitomizes the incredible level of sportsmanship that these athletes have. Both sides practice strenuously, and both sides battle on the playing field. Both sides want to win. Both sides respect each other. Please follow the example of these high school students and refrain from letting your personal biases influence your coverage of high school sports.

Comments

Spagett 2 years, 5 months ago

Alyssa makes a great point. I have many friends at Lawrence High and though I’ll root for my own high school Free State first, I don’t have anything against LHS. I’ve also noticed that biases and so called “rivalries” usually begin more through adults and media than students themselves. If the students don’t have a problem with each other, I’m not sure why this kind of coverage has to. And just to throw it out there, please ignore ‘mustrun80’. Giving them a reaction to their trolling only adds fuel to the fire.

Vaildini 2 years, 5 months ago

Well lets be real on the bias. LHS went into our football game missing many players we count on each week, therefore "declawed." Her example of Free State having there "wings clipped" because Walters was missing is totally different. Sports teams often play without a player or two and in this instance,Walters got hurt during the second half of the game. So it's not even like they were without him. The headline seems pretty appropriate to me. Even our own coach was stating over and over about be real shorthanded for the game. It's what the article was about.

yzar41 2 years, 5 months ago

Who would have thought that a very thoughtful, well written letter by one of the most intelligent students at Lawrence High would turn into a political debate revolving around The Lord of the Rings? That could only happen in Lawrence, Kansas!

atiopatioo 2 years, 5 months ago

Lawrence didn't need this wisdom when Chesty was the only game in town.

Vaildini 2 years, 5 months ago

hahahaha Yes Gandalf I'm sure she will be able to also.

Gandalf 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow, must have stirred the teapubs up! :) I sure never knew that only teapubs worked, I thought most everybody did. Some even work nights! Plus some have retired.

I'm pretty sure Alyssa can tell by reading the posts which people follow which political ideologys.

BTW rtwngr, Gandalf did die after defeating the Balrog. He was returned from the Blessed Isle to finish his job. The is no inner eath. That's from Edgar R Burroughs

Gandalf 2 years, 5 months ago

Alyssa , I hope you are taking notes of the differences between, republican, democrats and independents. You could write a term paper! :)

orbiter 2 years, 5 months ago

thank God to LJ World for printing this very important letter! I too am micro-aware of my own little world and am constantly imagining slights. I might just have to write a letter!

horsegirl 2 years, 5 months ago

Great letter Alyssa! And very true!

UNIKU 2 years, 5 months ago

....for the record, the article didn't just mention Strauss being injured...they were also without their top running back, a top lineman, a top linebacker and their 2nd & 3rd string QBS.....if that isn't somewhat declawed it is at the least seriously trimmed back...

mustrun80 2 years, 5 months ago

Jeesh, all this because a writer at the paper used the phrase "declawed."

Alyssa's going to have a long difficult life if something like that actually bothers her this much. Not surprising though, she probably got trophy's for showing up at sports games and thinks that "declawed" is a slight no human being should ever, ever have to suffer.

Do yourself a favor, when you graduate just stay home in lawrence close to mom and dad. Because if you left for NY or something you'd never make it.

Gandalf 2 years, 5 months ago

Great letter little lady! There may be hope for the US after all. :)

Getaroom 2 years, 5 months ago

Good letter Alyssa and superb points! Some athletes do play the game for higher goals than winning, or beating another team. We all like to win, but mutual respect goes far amongst opposing teams and even amongst fellow team members. Thanks for offering your thoughts to the community Alyssa, it takes maturity and guts to post anything on this blog because it is often a harsh and cruel environment.