Letters to the Editor

Part of the 99%

November 2, 2011

To the editor:

They use to call me a hero and give me hollow “thank you for your service.” Now they call me a parasite and a drag on the economy.  I am a disabled veteran and part of the 99 percent.

Comments

rockchalk1977 2 years, 5 months ago

ACORN Officials Scramble, Firing Workers and Shredding Documents, After Exposed as Players Behind Occupy Wall Street Protests.

Shocking that Obama's defunct little organization is behind the flea party thugs.

rockchalk1977 2 years, 5 months ago

"We go from having a peaceful movement to now just chaos," protester Monique Agnew, 40, said early Thursday. Protesters also threw concrete chunks, metal pipes, lit roman candles and molotov cocktails, police said.

The spoiled children are not playing nice anymore! Didn't see this coming.

rtwngr 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't think you're a drag on the economy, Bruce, just a drag. Why is it other disabled vets are able to overcome their disabilities and lead meaningful, productive lives? Does the world owe you something, Bruce?

The reason we served, Bruce, was to protect a way of life called freedom. Some of us returned unharmed physically and some of us didn't. None of us returned unchanged. Freedom carries an expensive price. Some of us gave more than others. Some of us never stop giving.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

Face it Bank of America should be subject to an FBI investigation and Grand Jury probe over the home loan scandal. Goldman-Sachs should also.

The banks should be nationalized and executives sent to prison!

10 reasons NOT to bank with Bank of America http://www.truth-out.org/ten-reasons-not-bank-or-bank-america/131

Where did the Bush/Cheney/Paulson Bailout Money Go? Not much is known... http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10/good_billions_after_bad_one_year

Move Your Money - To local institutions and do your community a large favor.

A database to assist those wishing to move their money out of big banks that took taxpayer money and used it to pay themselves large bonuses:

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 5 months ago

The letter writer is lacking in 'moral hazard' that Barack and his wall street cronies has. Barack and his cronies moral hazard is making them a ton of cash. Albeit, fiat cash, but still it's cash that pulls the wool over the eye of the general public's good will.

jafs 2 years, 5 months ago

If disabled vets are part of the 47% who don't pay federal income taxes, perhaps that's where the letter writer is getting his idea.

Many on the right castigate that group as being slackers, etc.

I don't know whether veterans benefits and disability pay are exempt from federal taxes, although it would make sense for them to be - anybody know?

edjayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

It's Obama's fault. Right Rockchalk 77?

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm part of the .00001% that isn't rich and isn't jealous of what other people have. You aren't a parasite. You are a victim of politicians that put you in the line of fire and don't care if you live or die now. Wall street doesn't owe you, America owes you. Of course, you could go to DC and try knocking on the right doors, but they'd just have the latest models of yourself point their bayonets in your back and escort you to the sidewalk you fought to protect.

tomatogrower 2 years, 5 months ago

And maybe if the billionaires who run the businesses would be happy with 1 billion instead of 2, and pay the single mom a living wage, she wouldn't have to work 2 jobs.

its_just_math 2 years, 5 months ago

Wonder how many single moms working two jobs and raising a couple of teenagers have time to go Occupy and represent the 99%. I bet they just work hard and do the best they can.

Fact is, a large majority of Fleabaggers are just losers, ie, a drain on society. But the Obamamania screwball media loves 'em. Just like they love Teabaggers, only in a different way.

God Bless.

Lauralnk 2 years, 5 months ago

Gee folks, I have a revolutionary idea, how about we all grow up and quit calling each other names or insulting people. As my grandmother use to say, "If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all." Quite honestly it seems that some people act like they are still in grade school.

irvan moore 2 years, 5 months ago

the writer deserves thanks and respect

its_just_math 2 years, 5 months ago

Everyone, including myself knows and states who "most of the Fleabaggers" are.....never lumping them into the same exact group. Many are just losers, and Bruce you're not one of them. Thanks for your service Bruce, and I don't mean for that to sound hollow.

The Tea Partiers, to my recollection, were never afforded that opportunity----for some to be not grouped into whatever name the left was calling them and we all know what they called them and said about them. Again, not all OWS'rs are bums, but a large cross section I feel are, and that's merely my opinion.

jaywalker 2 years, 5 months ago

Sincerely appreciate your service and sacrifice, Mr. Johanning. But nobody is referring to you as a drag on society or a parasite. And we're all part of the 99%.

BornAgainAmerican 2 years, 5 months ago

As a disabled Vet myself, I have never been aware of anyone accusing me of being a drag on the economy and VA currently rates me at 80%. I sill work, and I am still productive. I do not know what your circumstances are Bruce, but I have no doubt this is more about your politics than it is about any illusions you may have concerning others' viewing you as a "parasite and a drag on the economy". Somehow it bothers me that you would use your disabled vet status as a political tool. There may be others who feel that your whines bring dishonor to the "wounded warriors" who served and sacrificed for their country. Has anyone taken your veteran benefits away? Have people stopped thanking you for your service? No matter how hollow it feels to you, they do not have to say it. Evidently, you are not a Viet Vet, otherwise you would know what it means to be disrespected.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

In other occupy news: "NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The Occupy Wall Street movement, which says its goals include improving the economic lot for 99 percent of Americans, may have some explaining to do to some cafe workers now out of a job. Mark Epstein, owner of the Milk Street Cafe at 40 Wall Street, just let 21 employees go. The reason? The barricades police have set up throughout Wall Street as a consequence of the ongoing demonstration..." http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/01/milk-street-cafe-owner-sacks-21-employees-as-consequence-of-occupy-wall-street-demonstration/

Brock Masters 2 years, 5 months ago

Is the letter from the same army officer that was profiled in a LJW video about voting. Google his name and find the video - adds a different element to the letter.

grammaddy 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you for your service. I'm so sorry that it cost you so much.Your bravery is appreciated.

mustrun80 2 years, 5 months ago

This LTE writer must have had a major head injury in order to come up with this little jewel. Nobody, and I mean Nobody thinks or suggests that disabled vets are parasites and part of the problem.

Does the LJW staff have ANY standards for these LTE's. This is the dumbest strawman yet. Please put a little effort into these things libs.

From a fellow vet.

Alceste 2 years, 5 months ago

Bruce W. Johanning, Lawrence:

You forgot to include the part where they were happy to send YOU into it and not their own kids.....Oh yeah....and let's not leave out the part where they refused to provide armour once the great need for the commodity was identified.

Yeah....them "Mission Accomplished" types....swell group of guys and gals, eh?

Gandalf 2 years, 5 months ago

Sorry buddie, I know what you mean. Teapubs have no use for vets once the fighting is over.