More than 1,000 Westar Energy customers lose power in Douglas County

November 2, 2011, 11:08 p.m. Updated November 3, 2011, 8:35 a.m.

More than 1000 Westar Energy customers in Douglas County lost power last night. Most outages appeared to be along Iowa Street between 23rd and 6th Streets, according to an outage map on the company's site.

A company representative was unable to provide an estimated time for when power would be restored, but said employees would work as long as it took to fix the problem. Power was restored early Thursday morning.

Kansas University dorms on the 1700 block of Engel Road, and surrounding neighborhoods are among residences affected.

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

fstcarkid 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the welcome. I am a new user. Not much going on today, home with a sick kid. Yay.

The reason I commented on this particular article is because it reminded me of a funny memory. One of my uncles is a retired lineman at a rural electric in Texas. I remember very vividly being at a family reunion years ago and saying almost the exact same thing to him that vocal posted. It had never even dawned on me that if there's no power to the house, there's no power to the meter. Anyways, his advice to me at the time was to stand outside and keep track of my usage the next time the power went out. Like the dummy I am, I actually did it. I am proud to say that it only took me several minutes to figure it out. Lol.

RidgeRunner 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't know why, but I sometimes look at the registration date and first post of a LJW user to see what brought them out of the woodwork, so to speak....Curiosity, I guess, but that first post can say a lot about that user I have noticed. Personally, I do not have to look to remember what got me to register. PIGS, the oink oink kind and a Mr. Richardson.

fstcarkid's first post... or a new user name.

Welcome! I hope ya hang around.. but I must admit, you sound somewhat familiar imo. And not in a bad way I might add.

K... Back to thinking to myself instead of out-loud on a keyboard (damn journals).

webmocker 2 years, 5 months ago

fstcarkid (anonymous) says…

"webmocker, of all the charges you listed, I think the customer charge is the only fixed charge per month, ... FYI - I didn't read anything more into vocal's comments other than usage and getting credit for when it's not available. I didn't see anywhere that they were talking about the other charges/taxes on the bill, and I wasn't commenting on that. :-)"

Fair enough. Sorry for snarkiness. I was tired due to waking up to the various chirping appliances during the power outages we had last night.

fstcarkid 2 years, 5 months ago

webmocker, of all the charges you listed, I think the customer charge is the only fixed charge per month, so that one probably could be pro-rated or whatever during an outage - I could be wrong, it's been a while since I last studied my electric bill. The rest of the charges you mentioned are based on the usage for the month.

webmocker 2 years, 5 months ago

fstcarkid (anonymous) says…

"vocal, you're only charged for your usage, which is measured at your meter. I'm fairly certain that if the power to your house is out, your meter isn't turning. :)"

Cute, but not accurate. The "Energy Charge" on a recent bill was $34.13 while the bill added up to $65.24, including a "Transmission Charge" which one might argue should be discounted when there is no transmission of electricity to one's home. And the "Customer Charge" might qualify as being refundable during an outage. The other various charges could be argued, as well.

fstcarkid 2 years, 5 months ago

RidgeRunner 2 years, 5 months ago

I see I spoke too soon. Left this morning around 0600, just got back to find that powers been out during that time, and on top that I had to fsck a drive that didn't come back online correct..

Nice! So much for spouting off at the mouth with "Well Done"...

Kim Murphree 2 years, 5 months ago

Methinks that these people should get CREDIT on their bills when there is no electricity...AND if that happens at high volume times (from the Smart technology results) then they should recieve credt or reimbursement at an increased rate! After all, we shouldn't have to pay for something we are not receiving, right--and if we are going to have to pay higher rates during increased usage times...then the credits for NOT being able to use the electricity should also reflect those higher rates...

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years, 5 months ago

My power went out briefly yesterday morning at 9am before the rain even started haha

nephidelong 2 years, 5 months ago

If you are going to be a news reporter on the Internet, the World Wide Web (www), please use correct English or problems can occur in interpretation of the news reported. The Kansas City dorms were among the residences "Affected" by the power outage. "Effect" is a noun, a result. The verb is "to Affect" and the passive voice (not tense) of the verb you are trying to use is "were affected."

Christine Anderson 2 years, 5 months ago

The problem is, folks, they have an idiot as their project manager for the supposed "improvements" they are making through 2013.

toe 2 years, 5 months ago

Third world Westar. Smart meters, indeed.

parrothead8 2 years, 5 months ago

On Westar's outage map, I love how it says, "If you are experiencing an outage, login to your account to report your outage and for any available information regarding the cause of the outage and the estimated time your power will be restored." What do they think my computer and modem run on? Hamster wheels?

jackpot 2 years, 5 months ago

been out almost 24 hours? "November 2, 2011, 12:00 a.m. Updated November 2, 2011, 11:08 p.m. "

Bob_Loblaw 2 years, 5 months ago

All because of wind (tree limbs etc.)?!.....wow that's fragile.... Westar's slogan should be "Because of snow or rain or heat or gloom of night or squirrel fart or etc...you'll lose power"