Archive for Saturday, May 28, 2011

Words can hurt

May 28, 2011

To the editor:

Recently, there have been two reports cited in the Journal-World, if juxtaposed, that say something about the tension and, sometimes, confusion, about gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered individuals. On the one hand, there was a report from a Gallup poll done on May 23 that showed for the first time that a majority of those polled said that marriages between same-sex couples should be recognized as valid by the law with the same rights and traditional marriages (53 percent to 45 percent). In 1996, the same kind of polling from Gallup found 68 percent saying that such marriages should not be valid.

Later, it was reported that the pro basketball player Joakim Noah, frustrated by the taunting of a fan, turned to him and bellowed an anti-gay slur. Given what little I know about him (as a public figure) I don’t think that Noah is prejudiced. That isn’t the point, anyway. The point is how easy it is for anti-gay remarks to come tripping off the tongue in a moment of anger or frustration.

As a former faculty adviser to GLBT student groups on two campuses, I can tell you that these kinds of comments, no matter what provoked them, hurt and cause a variety of anguished feelings, including for a few, a tragic kind of self-loathing. For many of these students, just beginning to come to terms with their sexual orientation, such comments can really sting, and they throw an unnecessary monkey wrench into the process of self-development and self-acceptance.

Comments

rtwngr 3 years, 1 month ago

So, what you are admitting is that they have psychological issues because of their inherent guilt for living a sexually deviant lifestyle. A lifestyle they know is wrong but the liberal left continues to perpetuate as socially acceptable and within the norms of natural law.

jafs 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow.

Nope.

He's saying that attitudes like yours create a lot of difficulties for gay/lesbian/etc. folks.

Imagine how you'd feel if you were bombarded with messages like yours about your own sexuality (I assume you're straight) - that you're wrong, evil, sinful, etc. for being straight.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 1 month ago

So how about we all take this opportunity to make a promise to ourselves to knock off all the vitriolic banter that we all think is just so clever.

jafs 3 years, 1 month ago

I've been advocating that for some time.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to last very long, and/or doesn't get many takers.

Let's hope you have better luck with it.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 1 month ago

Well, if you see me slip. please feel free to call me on it.

jafs 3 years, 1 month ago

I haven't seen you make any posts I would "call" you on - you are one of the minority of posters who expresses themselves without need for insults.

As I am, I would hope.

Although I can't restrain myself from a bit of sarcasm here and there.

Armored_One 3 years, 1 month ago

So when did you choose to be straight?

I don't remember choosing. It just kind of worked out that way.

I definately think people need to stop applying weight to words. Can't be insulted if you aren't willing to accept it. I can't believe I am going to paraphrase 'Roadhouse', or all movies to use for reference.

"They are words designed to elicit a specific response."

But there is nothing wrong with being nice, especially when it doesn't actually cost you anything. But you wanted a response, and I did give you what you wanted, but in truth, people with your view are slowly being bred out of existance. Thankfully, but not quickly enough.

Gay, straight, it shouldn't matter. We are all Americans, and as such, should be equal in the eyes of the law. Otherwise, we're right back where we were before the Good Doctor marched to D.C.

sr80 3 years, 1 month ago

I am sure that israel will give the GLBT a little section of land. When are you leaving ??

begin60 3 years, 1 month ago

Enlightened Larryville Libs must be mythical creatures. I myself have not been lucky enough to meet any. In fact, people in KS have been raised to be extremely aggressive and to have no reservations about approaching complete strangers and getting up in their business in offensively personal ways, including ways that involve unconscious, if not actually intentional,discriminatory harassment on the basis of perceived/actual protected identity. This hardly represents liberal politics or even decent respect for equal rights. It's threatening and offensive and involves unwanted and inhibiting attention.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 1 month ago

"Love the sinner, hate the sin."

If I truely am going to 'love the sinner' (of which the Bible says each and every one of us are; especially ME) I'm not going to be calling hurtful names; if I do, I'm not a good testimony as a "Christian" AND I'm just as bad as Fred Phelps and his circus of idiots.

Loretta James 3 years, 1 month ago

rtwngr

is your life so boring you have nothing better to do than talk trash are they bothering you if not leave them alone besides god will be their judge not you thank god. my grandson is gay i love him no matter what his life his business.