Archive for Friday, May 27, 2011

Josh Selby seeks to prove he ‘deserves’ shot

Former Kansas guard proves he’s healthy with 42-inch vertical leap

Kansas guard Josh Selby pounds his chest after hitting a three-pointer against Texas A&M during the first half on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

May 27, 2011

Former Kansas University combo guard Josh Selby, who worked out for the Minnesota Timberwolves on Tuesday and Indiana Pacers on Thursday, has taken a humble, low-key approach into a month’s worth of individual drills with NBA teams.

“The biggest thing I need to show is I deserve to be here like everyone else,” Selby told nba.com after Thursday’s workout with Purdue’s JaJuan Johnson, Villanova’s Corey Fisher, Richmond’s Justin Harper, Michigan’s Darius Morris and Georgetown’s Chris Wright in Indianapolis.

“People were questioning me because of what happened at Kansas. I need to show what happened at Kansas wasn’t the real me. I was going through things, of course the injury (to foot) and suspension (nine games to start season). I’m just trying to showcase my game.”

Selby, who averaged 7.9 points, 2.2 assists and 2.2 rebounds a game during his freshman season, is completely healthy now. He showed that by recording an amazing vertical leap of 42 inches at last week’s NBA combine.

“At Kansas I was about 75, 80 percent. Now I’m 110 percent. It’s a big difference. I didn’t know I’d be suspended nine games. My first game was a great game,” Selby said of a 21-point outing versus USC. “After that, I didn’t know I’d have an injury. It pushed me back farther than I wanted to be. I’m just glad to be back.”

ESPN.com’s Chad Ford believes Selby will be selected No. 17 overall by the New York Knicks in the June 23 Draft. Draftexpress.com has Selby as the the first pick of the second round by Miami. The Pacers have the No. 15 pick in Round One, the Timberwolves Nos. 2 and 20.

“I can score. I will compete. I will play hard. No matter if I am shooting bad or shooting good, I will compete the same,” Selby said. “I am never going to lower my level of competitiveness.”

He said he isn’t quite sure where he’s projected to play in the NBA.

“I don’t know what they are thinking,” he said of NBA officials who grouped him with shooting guards at the NBA combine. “They ask me what I think my position is. I tell them right now I’m a combo guard and I just go from there.”

Comments

Jason Bailey 3 years, 3 months ago

Excuses, excuses, Josh. The KU Selby wasn't the real Selby? Whatever.

thomgreen 3 years, 3 months ago

No need bad mouthing him. I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors. I'm sure everyone, even him, would have wanted things to work out different here, but sometimes you just have to play the cards you're dealt. He's a young man still and hopefully he'll grow into an exceptional person and great NBA player who we, in the Jayhawk nation, can be proud to call one our own.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree with you. In a perfect world, he should have had the option of going straight to the N.B.A. His stop here was forced upon him and our recruiting him was forced upon us. Good luck to him in the N.B.A. and better luck to us as we move forward.

John Kyle 3 years, 3 months ago

In the words of Will Munny from Unforgiven: "Deserve's got nothing to do with it"

Kontum1972 3 years, 3 months ago

hes is no Jacque Vaughn...or Tyrell Reed

Nutflush21 3 years, 3 months ago

What part of the word "injury" do you guys not understand? Selby is a heck of a basketball player and unfortunately we only got to see a glimpse of that at Kansas. I would have loved to see a healthy Josh during the 2nd semester, but Im certainly not going to badmouth him for an injury.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

I used to love the NBA in the 60s through 80s. The veteran talent, big stars like Wilt, mixed in with young college stars and wide eyed rookies.

Young Selby is just a long line of players I would not pay a dime, or turn a channel to watch.

On the other hand some people love the NBA now, and more power to them.

CHEEZIT 3 years, 3 months ago

He sure got healthy fast once the season ended?

professor 3 years, 3 months ago

another example of potential never realized because of greedy agents looking to make a quick buck. anyone in their right mind knows there is no way he is ready for the NBA, no matter how high he can jump.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 3 months ago

If someone drafts him, especially in the first round, I'd say that by definition he's ready for the NBA.

nativeson 3 years, 3 months ago

Top tier basketball programs should take note. Maybe recruiting the top 5 guys must happen, but successful programs that consistently get to the Final Four are not built with the 1 and done players. They are focused on the next level, and any commitment the school they pass through to get to the NBA is passing.