Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, May 24, 2011

No one injured in house fire Monday; fire started by overheated extension cord

Nobody was injured in the single-story residential structure fire at 303 W. 13th Street on Monday evening.

May 24, 2011

Advertisement

Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical investigators said Monday’s fire at a house near 13th and Kentucky streets was an accident caused by an extension cord that overheated.

The fire occurred at the one-story house, 303 W. 13th St. around 5:30 p.m. Monday, and it caused an estimated $72,000 in damage, said Division Chief Eve Tolefree. No one was injured.

Jane Blocher, executive director of the Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross, said the fire displaced three men living there. The Red Cross provided funds for food and clothing for the men, who all have other places to live, Blocher said.

Comments

tyson travis 3 years, 7 months ago

My longer comment got posted in the gallery, due to my error. This was a prime venue for Lawrence stamp collectors in the 1950s and 1960s when Ida Mason had her stamp shop in the front and lived in the back. I've been an avid collector for almost 60 years, I learned a lot in this place, hope the building can be saved as a memory of neighborhood businesses of the past which have largely vanished. T. Travis, Pine Bluff, AR

Commenting has been disabled for this item.