Letters to the Editor

Bus system fan

May 11, 2011

To the editor:

With the price of gas going up so much each week, public transportation seems like a great idea to me. I love our bus system. It is always on time (except in bad weather). We have the best bus drivers; they are all friendly and will help you out if you need it. It also costs $1 to take a trip and $2.75 for a day pass to ride unlimited trips all day long. Also a month pass only costs $34. That is a lot cheaper than filling up your car to drive around and be held hostage at all of our stoplights that are out of sync.

Also if you are on reduced rate, that amount is cut in half. It is a safe and efficient way to get around the city. And it has been full each and every time I have ridden. The only time I have ever seen it empty, is when they have dropped off people downtown and have not had the chance to regather more passengers.

I love our bus system, I support it and I was glad to see it when I moved back to Lawrence. Before, back the dinosaur days of living in Lawrence, public transportation was a taxi cab. So before you put down, or decide against supporting our wonderful public transportation system, why don’t you do the environment and your wallet some good; hop on and take a ride on the T.

Comments

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 7 months ago

"By Sherry Ford, Baldwin City "

Did I miss something? Is Baldwin now contributing towards the T or did Baldwin get their own transit system?

Mike Ford 3 years, 7 months ago

No we work in Lawrence and I have to take the Bus around once I get to Lawrence. We carpool so we can do what some people do not know how to do. We save $.

jafs 3 years, 7 months ago

Actually, the vote that increased funding for the T was a sales tax increase.

justforfun 3 years, 7 months ago

1) "That is a lot cheaper than filling up your car to drive around and be held hostage at all of our stoplights that are out of sync."

2) "And it has been full each and every time I have ridden."

Time to vote for most ridiculous comment of the day SO FAR.

Pick #1 or #2

somedude20 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, the lights are really bad. I cannot tell you how many times I have been stuck at every light from 15th and Kentucky all the way up to 9th and Iowa. That is not a claming device. God help you if you are on Havard wanting to cross Iowa as that light takes 5 minutes to change

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 7 months ago

I think it's a very good idea to have a public transit system in place for anyone that has difficulty driving a car, such as the elderly or the disabled.

If you have no sympathy for the elderly or disabled, I will refrain from commenting on my opinion of your character because that would be a violation of the TOS.

And there is another difficulty also. If someone loses their driving license for DUIs, tickets, and wrecks, they still do need to get around to various other locations, such as work and the grocery store, among others.

So, if no public transit system in place, obviously it should be absolutely against the law to restrict anyone's right to drive a car simply because they consistently get tickets, get DUIs, have wrecks, run over pedestrians, and run down bicyclists.

justforfun 3 years, 7 months ago

"obviously it should be absolutely against the law to restrict anyone's right to drive a car simply because they consistently get tickets, get DUIs, have wrecks, run over pedestrians, and run down bicyclists."

Wow that didn't last long YOU WIN RON!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 7 months ago

Yup, you're right! We need a transit system!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 7 months ago

It's so common for people who should NEVER be driving to keep on doing it until a disaster happens. If they had some alternate availabe, they would have no excuse to keep on doing it.

Just from reading the paper, you should know that a lot of terrible wrecks happen while the driver has a suspended driver's license.

Mike Ford 3 years, 7 months ago

I do both walk and ride a bike plus ride the bus.

George Lippencott 3 years, 7 months ago

I am glad that some of you find the 'metro" helpful - makes me feel better when I pay my taxes. I would hope, however, that those of you who find it so can acknowledge that it is not always THE SOLUTION. For some it would be much more costly in time and money.

jafs 3 years, 7 months ago

It is, clearly, a time-waster, given the poor scheduling and routes we have.

But, it seems to me it saves money - given, if you don't have a car, you have numerous expenses that you've eliminated, like insurance, taxes, tags, maintenance, repair, etc. as well as gas money.

How would it cost more to use public transportation?

George Lippencott 3 years, 7 months ago

Simple JAFS, you already have a small car. Paying the small operational cost to get to work can easily exceeed the small cost for the bus and it may be a lot quicker. Time is money to many busy people.

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 7 months ago

I guess the T is a start, but have never before had to deal with drivers who can't drive and are at least as likely to behave with discrimination and bias toward riders as not. Plus, the buses are outdated and one is quite like to have unpleasant if not hair-raising experiences with other riders who apparently think they are being friendly when merely insulting and aggressive. I have stopped using the T for these reasons, though public transportation is something I've always appreciated.

youarewhatyoueat 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't know when you last rode the T, but there are new buses on most routes now and also management changed a year ago, so calling in a complaint might be worthwhile.

Mike Ford 3 years, 7 months ago

It is a lot better, and this Letter has gotten ALOT of Positive Feedback from people that I told about it. I am sorry some of you are shallow and lost, And need to come into the real world, what would you do if you were in bigger city such as Chicago,New York etc, and had no other way to get around, well nothing, I think you would have to take a Bus.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

The T is indeed imperfect, and it would be great if ridership would increase.

But the major problems this country faces are not caused by insufficient ridership on public transit. Not even close. The amount of fuel wasted by largely pointless trips in single-occupancy vehicles far exceeds that used by the T.

jafs 3 years, 7 months ago

I'd like to see some numbers.

Buses generally get about 3-6mpg - our old cars get about 20mpg.

And, when we drive, we drive directly to our destination, unlike the bus, which often goes out of it's way.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 7 months ago

Wasn't this increased sales tax supposed to go towards a hybrid bus or two...where are they??

We've seen the smaller buses, which was deffinately a step in the right direction.