Letters to the Editor

Shelter heroine

March 25, 2011

To the editor:

It was a black day for Lawrence and the shelter animals the day Midge Grinstead resigned.

My husband and I have lived in Lawrence over 56 years and can tell you the shelter was in sorry shape before Midge took over. She was instrumental in having two new buildings put up over her years and was a wonderful and dedicated fundraiser. She was threatened many times over her efforts to stop merciless dogfighting and any inhumane treatment of animals.

We adopted four pets from the shelter and, to us, the shelter was all about Midge Grinstead. I don’t mean to negate all the beautiful, compassionate people that both work or volunteer at the shelter. They all are guardian angels. But, to us, the humane society could not have been the success that it was without her devotion. She was always there at the benefits with a big smile and appreciation for the donors.

Yes, indeed, we’re afraid there are dark days ahead for the poor throw-away animals at the shelter. We lost a truly devoted, compassionate heroine in Midge Grinstead. My husband and I thanked God every day for people like her!

Comments

Terry Jacobsen 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't know midge. But I have heard this about her from people I know. She sounds like a great person. I hope the shelter is fortunate enough to find an equally dedicated person.

msks 3 years, 9 months ago

Midge was an extremely dedicated director. Her family helped her and volunteered countless hours as well. I don't know what happened, but it makes me very sad that she had to leave without the appreciation she deserves. In my experiences at the shelter, she was always trying to do the best she could with less than ideal resources. The town has lost a treasure. Seeing someone treated this way may make it hard to get another great director.

vlivs 3 years, 9 months ago

I share the concerns of posters above about how our wonderful shelter will change. Midge made ours a no-kill shelter. I fear something is amiss with the board of directors. If the payroll issues were the problem, they could have hired another person to be responsible for that aspect of the work. Midge was the heart of a shelter with an enormous heart, and she has educated many people along the way.

Charles L Bloss Jr 3 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if her replacement will be armed? I also wonder what happened in November as it is definitely connected to her departure. She was always nice to me every time I went out there. Thank you, Lynn

Bob Forer 3 years, 8 months ago

Its a shame that people welfare oesn't draw the same passion as animal welfare. I guess its safe to be for animal rights and keep one's lips firmly planted on the buttocks of billionaires.

Centerville 3 years, 8 months ago

The more you''re dedicated to 'no kill' the more money you have to 'grub'. Don't be childish and pretend that caring for ill and aging pets is free.

pace 3 years, 8 months ago

I appreciate Mike Wildgen for taking the job. I think he will do good service until a new manager if found. I thank him for his time.

vlivs 3 years, 8 months ago

Centerville - gravely ill is understandable for euthanasia, but "aging" pets often find new homes and are some of the best success stories from the shelter.