Letters to the Editor

Shelter heroine

March 25, 2011

To the editor:

It was a black day for Lawrence and the shelter animals the day Midge Grinstead resigned.

My husband and I have lived in Lawrence over 56 years and can tell you the shelter was in sorry shape before Midge took over. She was instrumental in having two new buildings put up over her years and was a wonderful and dedicated fundraiser. She was threatened many times over her efforts to stop merciless dogfighting and any inhumane treatment of animals.

We adopted four pets from the shelter and, to us, the shelter was all about Midge Grinstead. I don’t mean to negate all the beautiful, compassionate people that both work or volunteer at the shelter. They all are guardian angels. But, to us, the humane society could not have been the success that it was without her devotion. She was always there at the benefits with a big smile and appreciation for the donors.

Yes, indeed, we’re afraid there are dark days ahead for the poor throw-away animals at the shelter. We lost a truly devoted, compassionate heroine in Midge Grinstead. My husband and I thanked God every day for people like her!

Comments

vlivs 3 years ago

Centerville - gravely ill is understandable for euthanasia, but "aging" pets often find new homes and are some of the best success stories from the shelter.

pace 3 years ago

I appreciate Mike Wildgen for taking the job. I think he will do good service until a new manager if found. I thank him for his time.

Centerville 3 years ago

The more you''re dedicated to 'no kill' the more money you have to 'grub'. Don't be childish and pretend that caring for ill and aging pets is free.

Bob Forer 3 years ago

Its a shame that people welfare oesn't draw the same passion as animal welfare. I guess its safe to be for animal rights and keep one's lips firmly planted on the buttocks of billionaires.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years ago

The couple who wrote the letter, the Chaney's then will remember the Meltons. What I am sure the Chaney's remember are people who worked and served on the board of directors then. Where are they now? Dead!, many of them. No one remembers.

After the departure of the Meltons, the board had a change of membership and so much infighting began. Not much has changed since then.

The shelter was better off, when it had not so much money. I know that a local warehouse operation used to provide bags of cat food and dog food that had gotten damaged(the bags got torn) and the shelter told the business donating that they couldn't accept broken bags.

So what's wrong with the Shelter? Who made that dumb decision?

Lynn731 3 years ago

I wonder if her replacement will be armed? I also wonder what happened in November as it is definitely connected to her departure. She was always nice to me every time I went out there. Thank you, Lynn

vlivs 3 years ago

I share the concerns of posters above about how our wonderful shelter will change. Midge made ours a no-kill shelter. I fear something is amiss with the board of directors. If the payroll issues were the problem, they could have hired another person to be responsible for that aspect of the work. Midge was the heart of a shelter with an enormous heart, and she has educated many people along the way.

msks 3 years ago

Midge was an extremely dedicated director. Her family helped her and volunteered countless hours as well. I don't know what happened, but it makes me very sad that she had to leave without the appreciation she deserves. In my experiences at the shelter, she was always trying to do the best she could with less than ideal resources. The town has lost a treasure. Seeing someone treated this way may make it hard to get another great director.

consumer1 3 years ago

I do know Midge quite well. She was the life blood of the shelter. It will now change and become much less about the animals and more about fund raising and money grubbing buracracy. I would be willing to be she could open a new shelter and put this one out of business. She knows so many people who would support that idea. I too have live here during the previous shelter. Midge made this shelter into what it is. Sorry to see you go Midge.

TJ_in_Lawrence 3 years ago

I don't know midge. But I have heard this about her from people I know. She sounds like a great person. I hope the shelter is fortunate enough to find an equally dedicated person.