To the editor:
The Affordable Health Care Act will:
• prohibit denial of health insurance to persons with pre-existing conditions.
• eliminate lifetime and annual limits on essential benefits.
• cap annual out-of-pocket expenses, including deductibles and co-pays.
• prohibit insurance companies from rescinding coverage for persons who have major illnesses.
• ensure health plans provide certain preventive services at no cost to consumers.
• provide refundable and advanceable credits to make premiums affordable.
• create nonprofit, member-run health insurance cooperatives to provide affordable, quality health insurance.
The law is not perfect, but it is definitely a step in the right direction.