Letters to the Editor

Not a joke

March 18, 2011

To the editor:

Kansas Rep. Virgil Peck might think he was being funny, but his comments are no joke.

Peck told the House Appropriations Committee that it might be a good idea to control illegal immigration the way we control the feral hog population with hunters shooting from helicopters.

Such comments have no place in civil discourse.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time that a legislator has compared undocumented immigrants to animals or much worse. Last year, Pat Bertroche, a candidate for Congress in Iowa, said, “I actually support microchipping them. I can microchip my dog so I can find it. Why can’t I microchip an illegal?” Tom Mullins, a Republican candidate for Congress in New Mexico, had proposed placing mines along the border.

Ironically, Peck’s comment comes just days after the National Council of La Raza (NCLR) launched its Pledge for Respect campaign. It appears it couldn’t have come at a more timely moment.

When Rep. Peck was asked about his comment, he said, “I was just speaking like a southeast Kansas person.” It is despicable that Peck would invoke his Kansan heritage to defend his remarks. I was born and raised in Kansas, and the people I grew up with are hardworking people with close-knit families, good neighbors, and people of strong faith. They do not think that hunting human beings is funny.

Peck might think he was being funny on Monday, but despite his tepid apology, to Hispanics everywhere, his comments are no joke.

Comments

seeker_of_truth 3 years, 1 month ago

Amazing how many total racists and idiots still support this clown. Ever wonder why Kansas has reputation it does?

Lynn731 3 years, 1 month ago

letsgiterdone 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree with ckennedy. He is stupid to have said such thing. And it does make me wonder about the people who voted him in!

xclusive85 3 years, 1 month ago

Janet, I know you are a brilliant woman. Do you agree that illegal immigration is a problem and do you have any ideas for a solution to it? Please, if you do, write a letter about those points. I would be very interested in what you think!

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

Well said Christy....

thanks for dropping by!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

How many linguistically ignorant racists will this letter bring out today?

christy kennedy 3 years, 1 month ago

There is something seriously wrong with Mr. Peck and others like him. One difference is that he's stupid enough to voice his thoughts publicly, not realizing the backlash to what sounds very much like the words of a sociopath. The scariest part is how many people thought he was worthy of public office and voted for him, either because they didn't pick up on his true nature — or they did.

labmonkey 3 years, 1 month ago

What Peck said was abhorrent, but condemnation from the NCLR rings very hollow. This is a case of a racist organization pointing fingers at a racist. Pot, Kettle, Black.