Letters to the Editor

‘World’ focus

March 15, 2011

To the editor:

I think the Journal-World must take “World” out of your name. I was shocked Saturday morning as I went searching for a story on the Japanese earthquake and tsunami. While I recognize it was a busy news day, what is likely to be one of the biggest stories of the year was not on the front page, nor was there any reference to it there. No article anywhere on Section A or Section B. It was relegated to the last page of the classified section. What were you thinking?

As easy-to-develop content on sports is now such a big part of the paper, maybe you should call yourself the Lawrence Journal-Sports.

Comments

Fred Mertz 3 years, 9 months ago

Let's examine this issue from a different perspective - MINE :) As soon as I fire up my laptop I see headline news from MSN about Japan. Breaking news about it was on FOX MSN BC, CNN and all the other news channels. It was non-stop so I had no trouble finding information about it. Also, I receieved lots of tweets about it too.

So, I was glad the LJWorld covered other news. No offense to the paper, but I don't depend on it for national news. I am more interested in local and regional information and it does an excellent job at reporting that news.

My advice is to expand your news sources and don't depend on just one.

Majestic42 3 years, 9 months ago

THANK YOU. Everyone take Fred's advice. PLEASE.

BradLevy 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with the letter to the editor. I subscribed to the Lawrence Journal-World, not the Lawrence Journal-Sports - a decision I'm reconsidering after this past week. I understand the paper's shift to a more local focus, but even local non-sports news (such "minor" issues of little importance, such as $50 million state cuts to education) was relegated to relative obscurity. It is like subscribing to Time or Newsweek and finding Sports Illustrated delivered instead. That is not saying that Sports Illustrated is bad - if it is being sold as (and under the name) Sports Illustrated. To deliver a paper with a primary focus on sports, when the name and history have implied a broader focus (Lawrence Journal-World) is a bait and switch. It leaves me looking for the off switch.

Majestic42 3 years, 9 months ago

What part of LOCAL paper don't you understand?

BradLevy 3 years, 9 months ago

Majestic42, there are plenty of other things besides sports that fit the term LOCAL. With bigger long term impact than a basketball tournament. What part of that don't you understand?

Majestic42 3 years, 9 months ago

Yup, the LJW never ever features anything besides sports. [scans front page] Oh. Homeless Shelter, City Commission, statehouse, Brownback, Health Beat stories, local schools, and one sports story. Fail's on you, Brad.

BradLevy 3 years, 9 months ago

Majestic42, try scanning this morning's LJW (March 28, 2011). Page 1A - nothing but sports. Same for pages 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A, 7A, and 8A. More than 2/3rds of page 1B: Sports.

The fail's on you, Majestic42.