Archive for Monday, March 14, 2011

Officials identify body found in creek as 21-year-old Lawrence man

March 14, 2011

The Douglas County Coroner’s office Monday identified a 21-year-old Lawrence man as the body found a day earlier in a wooded area in central Lawrence.

Coroner’s investigators confirmed that Jakson McTaggart’s body was found at 1:20 p.m. Sunday in the wooded area and creek bed just west of the 700 block of Michigan Street.

Lawrence police did not release additional information about the case Monday, but Sgt. Matt Sarna, a police spokesman, said officers do not suspect foul play in the man’s death although an autopsy is ongoing.

The cause of death was not available Monday as a coroner’s spokeswoman said the autopsy was not complete pending toxicology results.

Lawrence police have asked anyone with information in the case to call the department at 785-832-7650 or Douglas County Crime Stoppers at 785-843-TIPS (8477).

According to McTaggart’s death notice, graveside inurnment will be 4 p.m. Wednesday at Hardy Oaks Cemetery in Jefferson County. Warren-McElwain Mortuary is in charge of arrangements.

Comments

Deja Coffin 3 years, 1 month ago

My thoughts and prayers go to this young man's friends and family. It is so nice to see such wonderful comments about him and it looks like the world lost a really great guy. We lost a family member at a young age also and I wish no one had to go through that experience, especially twice. Words cannot express how deeply sorry I am for your loss and I will be praying for your family.

lfsswimmer 3 years, 1 month ago

I went to school with Jackson from 7th grade until we graduated at Free State. He was always a fun guy to be around and just a great guy. Losing his older brother last year was enough for this family and now this is just way to much for a already grieving family. I am very sad to see former classmate to pass away. my high condolences go out to the McTaggart family and I pray the best for this family and hope that no more tragedies fall this them.

Andrew B.

ctone33 3 years, 1 month ago

I worked with Jakson and got the chance to know him. The guy was as real as it gets and I feel bad that we lost a guy at a young age. My thoughts and prayers are with him and the family at this horrible time. RIP Jakson!!!! You may not be here with us, but you're still here in spirit bro.

~Carlton.

vjr0512 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree, thank you for your condolences. It is warming to know that he had so many friends. He will be missed. Aunt Vanessa

sharronmct 3 years, 1 month ago

Thank you all for your condolences. It has been a difficult year as we lost his brother, Will, last summer also as a result of injuries from a car accident. They were both too young to die. Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated. I will pass them along to the other family members. Sincerely, Aunt Sharron

redneck111 3 years, 1 month ago

jakson was a good friend to me and my sister. he was always fun to be around. my prayers go out to the family.

mattfrost22 3 years, 1 month ago

I was Jakson's 9th grade social studies teacher; he was always a very genuine and kind young man. I am so sorry to read this today, my prayers are with his family especially his sister.

Morganna 3 years, 1 month ago

Jakson was a wonderful young man - he will be missed. Rest in peace young man. My heart goes out to his family.

redmoonrising 3 years, 1 month ago

Condolences to this young man's family. So sad to see a life gone so soon.

pagan_idolator 3 years, 1 month ago

What an utter nightmare. I am sending condolences and prayers for the family.

Armored_One 3 years, 1 month ago

Jackson was a brave young man who will be deeply missed by his family and friends. May peace be with all of them.

hujiko 3 years, 1 month ago

I knew Jakson barely. He was a nice guy, I wish I had gotten to know him better. Condolences to the family.

stephstew85 3 years, 1 month ago

His family has been through so much in the last year. They could use everyone's thoughts and prayers during this time. He will be greatly missed.

Amy Heeter 3 years, 1 month ago

What a shame. Condolences to his family.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow - 21 years old. Way too young to die. Condolences to family and friends.