Opinion

Opinion

Twisted ideals

March 4, 2011

Mr. Burkhead’s March 1 letter reminded me of all I objected to concerning organized religion. I feel organized religion too often leads to prejudice, intolerance, obsession and sometimes fanaticism. Also, too often it promotes ignorance due to a rejection of science because facts may contradict the Old Testament or the Koran.

I believe the true meaning of what Jesus actually stood for has been corrupted. The Jesus I know preached love, compassion and tolerance, not hate. People like the Phelps family and Mr. Burkhead illustrate what I mean by the corruption of the meaning of Jesus. Mr. Burkhead refers to the sin of our people and country for accepting gay rights. The real sinner, Mr. Burkhead, is you because of your hate and intolerance, and the terminal cancer you refer to is the ignorance you promote in your spiteful letters! You should repent for your twisted ideals!

Comments

75x55 3 years, 9 months ago

Good grief, whose actually twisting things in this letter? To lay the sins of a few on all of organized religion... almost looks hateful and narrow-minded.

cato_the_elder 3 years, 9 months ago

"Almost?" I'd say that this letter is about as hateful, bigoted, and narrow-minded as you can get.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 9 months ago

It lays the sins of a few onto those few who bastardize organized religion, not on all organized religion. To say otherwise is a red herring, and misses the point of the letter.

cato_the_elder 3 years, 9 months ago

The point of the letter is quite clear from the start. It preaches hate and bigotry against, and intolerance of, all organized religion.

mom_of_three 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with the Captain about the letter. As someone who follows organized religion, you, of course, are offended because you feel it refers to you, which it most likely does not.

I agree with him about some organized religions. I was forced to go to narrow minded church and have some narrow minded relatives, and have a minister uncle who doesnt like other religions. His interpretation of the Bible isn't necessarily the right one, but you can't tell them that.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 9 months ago

Clearly you've inserted your own point of view.

grammaddy 3 years, 9 months ago

Organized religion always excludes a large group of people.It's also responsible for more death and destruction than any war in history.

Larry Miller 3 years, 9 months ago

interesting opinion. Where are the facts?

Jimo 3 years, 9 months ago

Let's just agree that the death and destruction of those using "religion" as the basis for their chimp-like warmaking is as bad as those who use "science" as the basis for theirs. (And be grateful they've killed off only a few hundred million people in the last century rather than a few thousand million people.)

scary_manilow 3 years, 9 months ago

Crack open a history book sometime, Lar.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 9 months ago

"love, compassion and tolerance, not hate" ++++ Wait a minute!

I preach those things. I hang out with prostitutes. I'm an OK carpenter.

COuld it be...? Yes!

I am the Christ.

Check me out! Dig it!

Larry Miller 3 years, 9 months ago

OK, die on Friday. then we'll see you in church on Sunday.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 9 months ago

Tried it once already. You know, died for your sins and all.

Sarah Palin? Really?

Better get to church. I'll see you there.

Larry Miller 3 years, 9 months ago

The big difference is that the Topeka group lies about God's character. Carl does not do that.

BigPrune 3 years, 9 months ago

If it wasn't for sola scriptura, which isn't mentioned in the bible, there wouldn't be the divisiveness would there?... unhistorical, unbiblical and unworkable

flame on, and good night