Archive for Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vote on former Kansas Attorney General Steve Six’s federal appeals court nomination delayed again

June 23, 2011

— The U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee has delayed a vote again on former Kansas Attorney General Steve Six's nomination to a federal appeals court.

Six's nomination to the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, based in Denver, was on the committee's agenda Thursday. But Chairman and Vermont Democrat Patrick Leahy announced it was being held over because some committee members want more discussion.

Six was appointed attorney general in January 2008 when his predecessor resigned over a sex scandal. Six lost his race last year to keep the office.

Comments

Horace 4 years, 2 months ago

Pat Roberts - The Senator responsible for making sure September 11 didn't happen. How this creep can show his face is public is beyond me.

somedude20 4 years, 2 months ago

Yeah old Pat is really something. Last week the LJW had an article about Mr. Six and the reporter asked old Pat and Jerry if they would support him (Mr. Six). Of course they said no but gave no reason or should I say they could not offer a reason. I am happy that these jagoffs are so open minded. Does not matter if Jesus came back to earth to be a civil servent because if he had a "D" next to his, those jagaloons still would never listen.

Joseph Jarvis 4 years, 2 months ago

I know multiple people have written Sens. Moran and Roberts and asked them to explain their opposition. To my knowledge, neither has.

It does not shock me that a politician would try to politicize the judiciary. It does shock me that one wouldn't offer an explanation, even a flimsy one.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 2 months ago

From the article; "Anti-abortion groups hope to derail the nomination of Six, a Democrat, over how criminal cases involving abortion providers were handled while he was attorney general.

Kansas' two senators, Republicans Pat Roberts and Jerry Moran, have announced their opposition to his confirmation."

See 3 key things and all your questions will be answered. Anti-abortion groups Six is a Democrat Roberts and Moran are Republicans

Ralph Reed 4 years, 2 months ago

Just sent this to both Senators. I expect crickets.

"Sir, Quite frankly sir, I'm writing this with little hope of your reading it and even less of receiving a reply.

You do not support former Kansas Attorney General Steve Six's nomination to a federal appeals court. Yet, you decline to provide a reason or reasons.

What reasons do you have other than the facts that he is a Democrat, you are a Republican, and anti-abortion groups oppose his nomination?

v/r"

appleaday 4 years, 2 months ago

I wrote to both of them and in both cases got an automated e-mail non-reply.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 2 months ago

Back in the day Roberts was a pretty damn good Represenative and early on a Senator. He has fallen prey to what they ALL do become whores of DC. Brownback is no different other than he is more refined and adept at his ulterior motives. It's really a shame these creeps captiulate to the evils and power and money DC offers.

Bob Forer 4 years, 2 months ago

Absolutely absurd. Six is by no means a left winger, and has the ideal personality, intellect and pedigree to sit on the federal bench. Moderate and sensible republicans are a dying breed.

Carol Bowen 4 years, 2 months ago

Senator Roberts' website, June 16: "WASHINGTON, DC – Senator Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) released the following statement today on the nomination of former Kansas Attorney General Steve Six to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals:

"After thoroughly reviewing Mr. Six’s record and his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, I will not support his nomination to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. I have urged my colleagues on the committee to vote against his nomination."

The Senate Judiciary Committee is scheduled to vote tomorrow on Six’s judicial nomination to serve on the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals."

Senator Moran's website: No statement

William Weissbeck 4 years, 2 months ago

Do the local Kansas new organizations actually question our elected representatives, or do they just print their press releases? I realize there is a fine line that you don't want to antagonize elected representatives and be cut-off entirely, but there is also a duty to inform the public. There are likely some old war horses in Flint Hall whose heads are exploding over this lack of journalism by our state papers.

Joseph Jarvis 4 years, 2 months ago

@WWWW: I have mixed feelings about blaming the media. Could media coverage be better? No doubt. Sometimes when I read reporting on an event I attended, it seems so different that I wonder what event the reporter attended. But the media is also a mirror to society. Reader/viewership of reliable media is down. Americans are less educated about civics. And media outlets are generally for-profit businesses selling what people will buy.