Letters to the Editor

Unfair fee

June 16, 2011

To the editor:

Have you ever been bumped from an airlines flight because they sold more tickets than they had seats? Oh, they do usually make it up to you by offering you another flight and usually a voucher for a future flight. That seems fair but it still does not make any sense. How can they sell 205 tickets for a plane that holds 200? That is just wrong.

So does it make sense that Stouffer Place at Kansas University charges a single mother a $35 application fee in June 2011 then contacts her a week later to tell her that all of the units were “already assigned back in April 2011; thanks for your interest”? (And thanks for the $35.)

If all of the units were taken two months ago and they knew it, I feel this information should have been shared with the applicant before Stouffer accepted the $35 fee. It does not make any sense to me and I think it is just wrong, but maybe the Stouffer Place administration took lessons from their neighbors at the KU Athletics ticket department.

Comments

hujiko 3 years, 6 months ago

Did you even read your housing application before filling it out?

"This is an application for housing, not a housing contract. This application must be accompanied by a $35 fee (please see payment instructions below), refundable only if your admission to Ku is denied. Don’t delay: Although your application will not be complete until you have been admitted to Ku, you need not wait until your admission is final to send a housing application."

Next.

tonytman 3 years, 6 months ago

Hujiko what does that have to do with his point . he is write if they were already full why wast the time and chage some one for a something you know you cant provide.

xclusive85 3 years, 6 months ago

Because, some of the applicants may not have been accepted to KU so they would be next. They should have told her, but that is the reasoning behind taking more applications than apartments.

jafs 3 years, 6 months ago

Except it says that all of the units were already "assigned" when they took her application.

And, it was just a week later that she was told there were no openings.

So, 2 months after the units have all been assigned, they take her application. Then a week later, they tell her that fact.

Sounds fishy to me.

May Soo 3 years, 6 months ago

This happened to me once in Hutchinson, KS. I paid my deposit and first month's rent and two weeks later, I moved all my things there, that's when the apartment told me that the unit has already rented out to someone else two days ago.

1029 3 years, 6 months ago

I feel bad for the kid if $35 is this important to the parent.

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 6 months ago

You think it's okay for people to pay $35 for something that the payee already knows they won't be able to provide? You have $35 to waste on nonsense like that? I sure don't, and I'm not even a student or a single parent. How would you feel if you pre-paid to enter a parking garage but there were no spaces available, and sorry, no refunds.

Darrell Lea 3 years, 6 months ago

Simple solution - the proprietor at Stouffer Place should disclose that all units have previously been assigned prior to accepting the $35.00. They should be absolutely clear with the applicant that what they are applying for is a place in the stand-by line and not a vacant housing unit.

This kind of disclosure would require a level of honesty not usually found in today's business world, but it seems to be the right thing to do in this instance.

seriouscat 3 years, 6 months ago

College admissions boards are doing this as well. Making millions!

bevy 3 years, 6 months ago

I'll bet the fee is non-refundable, too. You know, if I went into a store and paid $35.00 for an item, then asked for it and was told "We ran out last week, and you can't have your money back." I would be furious! It seems obvious that the housing folks knew all their units were assigned. By the info provided from a later poster, that seems to mean that they had filled all units with students who had already been accepted to the University. NOT that she was on a waiting list, etc.

Oh, and for those of you making snide remarks about $35.00 - this woman is trying to raise her child and further her education. $35.00 is a lot of money to some. Heck, it's a lot to me and I have a full time job. Show a little compassion and respect. She is trying to help herself, she doesn't need jerks like this taking advantage of her.

jmadison 3 years, 6 months ago

KU is a public institution. They should be required to report how much money is obtained from application fees for non-available housing.

rockchalker52 3 years, 6 months ago

If anyone wishes to rent my basement just contact me at scammerpirates-dot-arrgh. The $50 application fee is non-refundable in case your housing needs actually interfere with my plans & I have to take the time to tell you so.
The lady got jobbed.

pizzapete 3 years, 6 months ago

Yea, it sounds like a total scam to me, too.