City commissioners will decide whether to close a portion of Massachusetts Street to accommodate a hot-rod car show.
Organizers of the Rev it Up Hot Rod Hullabaloo want to close the portion of Massachusetts Street from North Park Street to South Park street for much of the day Oct. 8. City commissioners previously expressed concern about closing a portion of Massachusetts Street on a Saturday. Event organizers now say they have looked at moving the event to a Sunday, but they believe it would significantly hurt participation totals. Organizers also have explored putting up barriers on the portion of Massachusetts Street to allow show cars, traffic and pedestrians all to access the street at the same time. But the city’s public works department is recommending against that option, unless the barriers are fully approved concrete barriers.
• Proclaim June 13 to June 17 as Dad’s Days.
• Dedication of Pink Fire Truck to Guardians of the Ribbon, Inc.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from May 10, 2011.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the City Commission meeting.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Set bid opening date of June 21, 2011, for the purchase and installation of a new computer fiber line to service South Park Center and the Community Building.
b) Set bid opening date of June 21, 2011, for the repair and resurfacing of the parking lot in Broken Arrow Park.
c.) Set a Bid Opening Date of July 5, 2011, for Bid No. B1132, Kaw Water Treatment Plant Sludge Collector Drive Replacement.
d) Award bid for Project No. PW1020, City Bid No. B1130, Bob Billings Parkway, Kasold Drive to Crestline Drive (westbound lanes), complete pavement reconstruction, to King’s Construction Company, Inc. in the amount of $637,310.
• Receive quarterly report regarding the status of fundraising and construction progress for the Lawrence Community Shelter’s new permanent facility.
• Receive the Bicycle Parking in Downtown Lawrence Inventory.
• Authorize the City Manager to enter into a performance agreement with Plastikon Healthcare, LLC, in conjunction with Douglas County, for economic development incentives.
• Receive request from MD Management, Inc. for a Neighborhood Revitalization Area for a proposed project on the northeast corner of 27th and Iowa Streets.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Consider accepting Historic Preservation Fund Grant for the development of Oread Neighborhood Design Guidelines in the amount of $30,005 in association with developing overlay zoning districts; and consider authorizing the City Manager to enter into a grant agreement with the Kansas Historical Society for this project.
• Consider approving the closure of Massachusetts Street from North Park Street to South Park Street on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. for the Rev it Up! Hot Rod Hullabaloo.
• Consider approving Comprehensive Plan Amendment, CPA-2008-7, amending Horizon 2020 to include Chapter 16 – Environment.
• Consider a motion to recess into executive session for approximately 40 minutes for the purposes of consultation with attorneys for the body which would be deemed privileged in the attorney-client relationship and then to discuss matters relating to employer-employee negotiations.