Archive for Monday, July 18, 2011

Second motorcycle accident reported on Highway 40 west of Lawrence

July 18, 2011

A 47-year-old Lawrence man was injured Monday afternoon when he lost control of his motorcycle on U.S. Highway 40 west of Lawrence.

According to a Kansas Highway Patrol report, John Robert Sinclair was headed west on his 1994 Yamaha motorcycle at 12:30 p.m. when he lost control, and the motorcycle came to rest in the west ditch of the highway. The accident occurred about 6 miles west of Lawrence.

Sinclair was not wearing a helmet and was taken to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka. It was the second injury accident involving a motorcycle Monday on U.S. Highway 40 west of Lawrence after another Lawrence man was injured in a collision with a semitrailer Monday morning.

Comments

gsxr600 4 years, 1 month ago

Are injuries life threatening? Without a helmet.......

puddleglum 4 years, 1 month ago

I hope for the best. please drive/ride with courtesy

trinity 4 years, 1 month ago

not only that-but this freakin' heat, so many seem to be somewhat out of touch with just exactly your body/mind do when they're baking on the asphalt...i've had to park mine for a while, i just can't handle riding in this kind of heat.

trinity 4 years, 1 month ago

oh and seriously, my heartfelt best wishes to both riders in the wrecks today! get well soon.

John Hamm 4 years, 1 month ago

And let's not forget the amount of water on the highways from automobile air conditioners. That on top of a little excess oil and down you go..

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 1 month ago

Any small amounts of water in this heat is evaporated within a minute or so. This is a horrible excuse and reaching at best.

gphawk89 4 years, 1 month ago

How can you be riding on an east-west highway and end up in the "west ditch"?

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 1 month ago

Highway 40 goes north-south in several places.

About January 20, 1974 I almost died on that highway. I was going south when my car started to skid on the ice underneath I-70.

I went into the ditch and collided headon with a tree. I had my seat belt on, but not my shoulder stap. So I was OK, more or less. My head hit the steering wheel, and it was just like being slammed on the forehead with a baseball bat.

Life was not quite the same after that, but there was no apparent injury.

DustyAcres 4 years, 1 month ago

There is nothing wrong with 40 highway but the idiot driver's on it. I have been driving it everyday for more than 25 years. People don't want to drive 55. Plus they try to pass where they shouldn't. Everyone is in a big hurry and their cell phones are glued to their faces.

Cai 4 years, 1 month ago

US-40's designation has changed since they widened the shoulders.

Doesn't make it the safest ever, but its not on the watchlist anymore

Jean1183 4 years, 1 month ago

Probable broken leg and some other injuries but didn't sound life threatening.....thank goodness! BTW, he was headed EAST not west.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh, no.

I know John S. personally and I sure hope that he recovers quickly. He messaged me on July 11, and he told me that he had just gotten his new motorcycle only a couple days before.

So he wasn't really used to it yet, and I'm sure he was very anxious to ride it.

It's terrible to read news reports like this about people that you know personally.