Archive for Monday, July 18, 2011

Dillons submits modifications of design for Mass. Street store to Lawrence City Commission

Dillons has provided new renderings to the city of Lawrence for what they expect their redesigned Massachusetts Street store to look like. They've redesigned the west side, which can be seen in the upper picture, from what it looked like when it was originally submitted, the lower picture.

July 18, 2011

The redesigned Dillons on Massachusetts Street, just north of 19th Street, will be located right along the street. City leaders say it will be a significant change in the way that part of the street feels.

A new design for a proposed Dillons store on south Massachusetts Street soon will get its day at Lawrence City Hall.

City commissioners at their July 26 meeting are scheduled to consider new renderings for a 43,000-square-foot Dillons that will replace the aging grocery located on the site.

The new design has added windows and a beige color scheme to the southwest corner of the building. Previously, city commissioners had commented that earlier designs didn’t include enough architectural details to fit Lawrence’s expectations for commercial property. The height of a screening wall that is part of the store’s pharmacy drive-thru lane also was increased slightly in the new design.

The new set of renderings gives the most detailed view yet of how the store will alter the streetscape of Massachusetts between 17th and 19th streets. Previously, the City Commission approved variances that allow the store to be built closer to both Massachusetts and New Hampshire streets.

“That stretch of street will be much more a part of the downtown fabric,” said Scott McCullough, the city’s planning director. “It will replace some saw-tooth, angled parking with a wide sidewalk, awnings, a seating area. It is going to be a completely different feel on that stretch of Massachusetts Street.”

If commissioners approve the site plan next week, the project will be cleared to receive a building permit from the city. Previously, Dillons officials have said it will take nine to 12 months to build the new store.

Comments

the_realest_mccoy 2 years, 9 months ago

I guess 20 years of hearing that dump called "Dirty Dillons" finally got through to 'em.

lunacydetector 2 years, 9 months ago

this old grocery store has been in the same location for 50 years and wants to remodel. it takes a year to get the city to approve the design.....which is way too long. then it takes a year on top of that to build it.

this is so wrong....the way this city acts and treats businesses.

somedude20 2 years, 9 months ago

Sharon is one of the nicest people ever. Stop by and say hello to her as she works at the customer service desk (just watchout for the super mean blond that works there, she'll rip you lungs out jack)

BorderRuffian 2 years, 9 months ago

Lawthorn wrote: "Previously, city commissioners had commented that earlier designs didn’t include enough architectural details to fit Lawrence’s expectations for commercial property."

Does this mean that Dillons should adopt decor to match old tire shops and the delapidated buildings that are nearby?

kugrad 2 years, 9 months ago

I live in the neighborhood and I'm really glad they are finally going to update the eyesore. It will be great to be able to get a full selection of food without having to drive to 23rd street.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 9 months ago

I bet if Doug Compton owned Dillon's, the renovations would have been rubber stamped.

Ward 2 years, 9 months ago

The petite Store Front & Entry looks crammed between vacant spaces. Should the design match the vacant appearance of current Massachusetts? It will fit right in.

Lawrence Morgan 2 years, 9 months ago

I agree with the above postings. The new front of the store is quite good, and it will add a completely new dimension to that part of town. More stores should listen to their communities' suggestions!

But I still feel a large store, with well-done features, would do well at the old Farmland site. When people enter Lawrence from I-10, they would often stop off there before going into town itself.

worden747 2 years, 9 months ago

Dillons on Mass when they last remolded helped bus Babcock and other elderly to their other stores so they would not be inconvenienced or have to use public transportation to get to another store.

cczvyun 2 years, 9 months ago

I tide fashion Good-looking, not expensive Free transport

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 9 months ago

I know a few will disagree, but I believe Dillon's has been a good community partner and corporate citizen during this planning process. I shop at this store sometimes, and find this store's personnel to be amongst the friendliest and helpful I have met in town. I hope they are accommodated during this transition period.

It would have been very easy for Dillons/Kroger to abandon this location. I applaud their commitment to stick with the process and create a plan which I think many people in the area will be very pleased with. I am also pleased with the aesthetic improvements made as reflected in this article.

I also want to commend Dillon's for their decision to rebuild in Joplin. I know this was up in the air for a week or two after the tornado, but they have committed to rebuild, which will give hope to their previous Joplin employees.

irvan moore 2 years, 9 months ago

so why don't we get rid of the sawtooth parking downtown?

Currahee 2 years, 9 months ago

I really like the design. It feels more "modern" ...