Northeast Kansas is under an excessive heat warning until Tuesday evening. With heat indices expected to reach about 110 degrees this weekend, residents should remember to take extra precautions to avoid heat illnesses. Wearing light, loose-fitting clothing, keeping well-hydrated and staying in an air-conditioned place will help reduce the harmful effects of the high temperatures.
For residents without air conditioning, Douglas County Emergency Management recommends that residents visit one of these public buildings to get a break from the heat.
- Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt.: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday; 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; Noon to 6 p.m. Sunday
- Community Building, 115 W. 11th St.: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday
- East Lawrence Recreation Center, 1245 E. 15th St.: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday
- Holcom Park Recreation Center, 2700 W. 27th St.: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday
- South Park Recreation Center, 1141 Mass.: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday; Closed Saturday and Sunday
- Eudora Public Library, 14 E. 9th St.: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday; 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday; Closed Sunday
- Eudora Community Building, 1630 Elm St.: 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday (building is staffed until 7 p.m.); 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday (building is staffed until 7 p.m.)
- Baldwin City Library, 800 7th St.: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday; 9 a.m. to noon Saturday; Closed Sunday