Archive for Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter fans off to see the boy wizard for the last time

Fans of the Harry Potter books and movies lined up early for a midnight showing of the last movie Thursday night at the Southwind 12 Theaters.

July 15, 2011

Harry Potter fans, from left, Maame Britwum, Jessica Vanahill, Kelsey Potts, Sydney Gard and Nixi Swedlund, all 13, wait to be seated at Southwind 12 for the midnight showing of the last movie in the series.

Harry Potter fans young and old came in costume by the hundreds to Southwind 12 theaters in south Lawrence to catch one last glimpse of the wizard’s fantasy world.

They were biding their time in the theaters at 3433 Iowa an hour before the midnight showings of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” began.

People were playing cards, watching the old movies on laptops and enjoying being around other fans.

“I’m from Ravenclaw,” said John Stephan, 21, of Lawrence, showing off the blue on his tie peeking out above his wizarding robe to prove it.

“And she’s from Gryffindor,” he said pointing to his girlfriend, Kate Steir, 21.

“I’ve been reading the books since the third grade,” Steir said. “It’s something I feel like I can really share with a lot of people.”

And as for the movie theater staff trying to deal with enough customers to sell out seven screenings of the film?

“Hectic. Crazy. Happy to see everyone,” said a hurried Jon Ratzlaff, the theater’s manager, who was back behind the concession stand dumping ice into soda machines with his staff.

Rhiannon Pearson, a 17-year-old from Lecompton, came to one last midnight showing with her mother, Vauncele Pearson. The pair had seen all the other movies at midnight, too.

But unlike many others at the theater at midnight, Vauncele was particularly excited to see this last movie because she hadn’t read the books.

“So I have no idea what happens,” she said. “No idea.”

Comments

labmonkey 3 years, 2 months ago

It is only marginally acceptable for children to dress up to see the movie, but adults dressing up? Please remove yourselves from the gene pool.

Bob Forer 3 years, 2 months ago

21-year-olds with a Harry Potter fetish? One would think such affliction would be outgrown, like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

number3of5 3 years, 2 months ago

I for one am a 66 year old Potter fan. I don't plan on ever growing out of my imagination.

Danielle Brunin 3 years, 2 months ago

Agreed! They are so magical. I think every generation of my family has read and loved them. My grandma and great aunt, my mom and aunts, me and my brothers and cousins, and now my children and nieces and nephews. Harry Potter is the only book that has inspired "serious" discussion around our Thanksgiving table. Watching old farmers and aspiring young musicians talk about which book they liked more and why, was awesome! That's the true magic of these books.

lionheart72661 3 years, 2 months ago

Now you have to sit and remember when all this started. So 21 really isn't that old to be a fan. Think of the Trekkies or Star War fans. I went with my 18 year old step daughter last night and that was my first Harry Potter movie. Very Very talented cast, amazing acting and special effects. I'm just sorry I missed the the other movies.

he_who_knows_all 3 years, 2 months ago

“It’s something I feel like I can really share with a lot of people.”

Please don't.

rockchalker52 3 years, 2 months ago

Heavens, we musn't behave with such impropriety. The next thing you know, we'll be having a good time & enjoying ourselves.

sally87 3 years, 2 months ago

I thought it was brilliant! I read the books when I was younger and though they're vastly superior to any movie adaptation, I really enjoy seeing the scenes I'd once only imagined now acted out. Though often viewed as only a child's series of fanciful stories, the character development and conflict is utterly intriguing. Not one character can be so easily categorized as a good or bad person. Unwrapping the enigma's of each person has been an adventure in it's own right, and I'm sorry that it has come to an end. My solace lies in that fact that I may re-read the books and watch again the movies I've loved so.

lionheart72661 3 years, 2 months ago

it's OK! Harry didn't really die! LOL

Kontum1972 3 years, 2 months ago

is that what that smell was?

potted meat....?

bevy 3 years, 2 months ago

Why don't all you grouches crawl back into your trash cans! My daughter is 21 and has been reading Harry Potter books since they came out, when she was in grade school. These books re-lit the fire for reading in her generation, bringing millions of kids away from the video games and into the library.

It is no more wrong for an adult to dress up to attend a favorite movie premier than it is to attend a costume party or Mardi Gras. Lighten up, people!

Bob Forer 3 years, 2 months ago

I would think good classic literature--real literature--such as "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" would instill in young people the joy of reading. The Harry Potter trash is hardly good literature.

cthulhu_4_president 3 years, 2 months ago

Ha! you got that right, sycophant. I mean, it's not like tastes in literature and film are subjective, or anything! How dare 300 million people around the world have different entertainment tastes than you!

I see you've got two comments here so far doing nothing other than insulting other people for enjoying these books. Keep 'em coming!!! They obviously haven't learned their lesson yet!

(I'm a Twain fan. Never read any of the Potter books. I bet you haven't either).

Danielle Brunin 3 years, 2 months ago

I have to ask, have you actually read the Harry Potter books?

Kontum1972 3 years, 1 month ago

Grover the grouch lives in a trash can....he loves it....

SpicePirate 3 years, 2 months ago

That 21year old probably started reading the books at 7 or 8. Grown up with it.

SpicePirate 3 years, 2 months ago

@TheSychophant when was the last time you read Huckleberry Finn? Name one aspect of that story that. JKR didn't touch on. Drama, humor, good, evil, trust, betrayal, racism, ethics, despair, triumph... the list goes on. I grew up on Twain. I have a deep abiding fondness for his work. But, had he been around now, I'm almost positive he would be as big a HP fan as I am. Stop being a literary snob and read between the lines.

lionheart72661 3 years, 2 months ago

Kontum1972 3 years, 1 month ago

and when Ms. Emma poses for play b*y.......the world we stop spinning.....