Archive for Friday, July 15, 2011

Dangerously hot weather’ expected; NWS extends excessive heat warning to Wednesday

July 15, 2011, 8:35 a.m. Updated July 15, 2011, 3:31 p.m.

An excessive heat warning covers all of northeast Kansas as well as adjoining areas of Nebraska and Missouri. The warning is in effect from Friday, July 15, 2011 at 1 p.m. until "at least" Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at 7 p.m.

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

3:31 update

The NWS has just extended the warning. It is now in effect until at least 7 p.m. Wednesday. For those who are keeping track at home, that's six days straight of temperatures in the high 90s and low 100s.

1:07 p.m. update

With the heat expected to stick with us for several days, The Douglas County Emergency Management office has released a number of tips for staying safe when the temperatures are elevated.

Among the tips:

• Drink plenty of nonalcoholic fluids, but avoid extremely cold drinks, as those can lead to stomach cramps.

• Stay indoors, in an air-conditioned building. If you don't have access to an air conditioner at home, here's a list of community buildings you can visit.

• Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.

• Never leave a person or a pet in a parked car.

• If you are outside, take frequent breaks, reduce exercise and remember to protect yourself from the sun with hats, sunscreen and sunglasses.

• Although anyone can suffer from heat related illness, pay special attention to infants and young children, anyone age 65 or older, people who have a mental illness and people who are physically ill.

8:35 a.m. post

Lawrence and all of northeast Kansas will spend another weekend sweating under temperatures so high as to cause the National Weather Service to issue an excessive heat warning.

According to the weather service, warm and moist air in combination with sunny skies will lead to high temperatures of about 100 degrees, with heat indices above 105 degrees through Tuesday. Accordingly, an excessive heat warning goes into effect at 1 p.m. Friday and will not expire until "at least" 7 p.m. on Tuesday.

The weather service urges everyone to be mindful of strenuous outdoor activity, and to reschedule being outside to early morning or late evening hours, when possible.

You should also check on family members and neighbors, especially the elderly. And remember not to leave pets without shelter or water.

Comments

berkman 3 years, 5 months ago

Glad I'm in Antarctica right now. I'll take cold over hot any day.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm jealous. Neither my husband nor I tolerate heat nearly as well as well as we do cold. He's always said that if they ever did a Survivor season in Prudhoe Bay he would be first in line to audition.

Kontum1972 3 years, 5 months ago

ok all u running fools get out there now....!

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 5 months ago

I'll be running tomorrow morning. Nice long one. 10+ miles.

domino 3 years, 5 months ago

I mean this with the utmost respect - you're nuts!!! I'll be inside in the air conditioning!

rockchalker52 3 years, 5 months ago

I might do that! Doubtful, cuz I was gonna do it at 6 this morning & it didn't happen.
hawkman has it right, though.

Bunny_Hotcakes 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm running tomorrow too...earlier in the day, wearing a water belt, a visor, and shades. Probably won't set any speed records, but I need to get used to the heat or the Warrior Dash might kill me.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 5 months ago

Slow and steady, and early. That'll be my philosophy. And drink lots of fluids.

xfitter 3 years, 5 months ago

Train crossfit if you want to prep for the warrior dash

Ewok79 3 years, 5 months ago

I won't be running, but i will be biking on a trail in the heat. So bring it! I love the heat.

CardHawkFan 3 years, 5 months ago

I did my running earlier in the week, but alas, the lawn, she will be needin' a mowin'. As far as embracing the heat mentioned earlier, I will do the same... 12 ounces at a time. just be careful out there you other running fools. It's going to be a hot one after another!

rockchalker52 3 years, 5 months ago

Nah, macho ain't it. it just feels good if you embrace it. Still, you have to be sensible. Thanx for the pet reminder, though. That is important to remember, indeed.

hawkman8950 3 years, 5 months ago

it helps me lose weight, i love this free sauna treatment! lol

Ewok79 3 years, 5 months ago

That's true, it is great beer drinkin weather. If Gin & tonic is what you preffer, i'll toast the welcome weather with a beer.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

There's an old saying; you can always put more clothes on. There's only so many you can take off.

childhoodsurvivor 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes, I don't know why LJWorld doesn't warn people more about pets.

Heat stroke is very serious and when it starts you don't have much time.

Keep cool fresh water outside at all times, hose them down a few times a day, make sure they have adequate shade. DON'T leave them in your car. DON'T take them on a fishing trip in a boat (this is huge especially if you don't bring cold water, and don't let the dog jump in the water. Your just making them suffer)

Personally, I don't know, or don't understand why people leave pets outside. Yeah Yeah I hear "I don't want my furniture to be destroyed" or "I don't have time to clean up messes" or "I don't want pet hair on my furniture" (there are ways to keep pet hair off the furniture...but really? get over it.) or "my landlord doesn't want them inside" Well, to the last one, if your landlord woud just require you to have your pets spayed and neutered in the lease agreement with proof there wouldn't be any spraying or "messes" that they'd have to be concerned with. Pet deposts are good too. However if these are your problems... maybe you shouldn't own a pet.

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

My lab stays in her kennel in this weather. I run a mister in this hot weather and she likes it. You can run a mister 12 hours a day and use very little water -provided you have no leaks.

childhoodsurvivor 3 years, 5 months ago

I forgot to mention that running your dog on the streets or sidewalks when its this hot burns their pads. So please refrain from doing this until the sun goes down and the streets cool down a bit.

And ......would you want to sit in a kennel for 12 hours? not able to do anything? Try it sometime.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 5 months ago

It was in the warning from the National Weather Service.

fugue137 3 years, 5 months ago

"Use air conditioning"? Won't that just make the problem worse? Unless your air conditioner is powered by renewables...