Archive for Sunday, July 3, 2011

Police identify boy who drowned at Lone Star Lake

Douglas County Underwater Search and Recovery Team members search the swim beach area at Lone Star Lake for a missing seven-year-old Kansas City, Mo. boy on Saturday, June 2, 2011. The crew suspended their search for the night due to darkness and will resume at first light on Sunday.

July 3, 2011

Douglas County emergency personnel, standing, console the parents, of a missing 7-year-old Kansas City, Mo., boy, Sunday morning July 3, 2011. Douglas County search and recovery divers found the body about 8:30 a.m.

The search for a missing 7-year-old Kansas City, Mo., boy, ended Sunday morning July 3, 2011. Douglas County search and recovery divers found a body about 8:30 a.m.

The search for the missing 7-year-old ended Sunday morning at Lone Star Lake after Douglas County search and recovery divers found the body about 8:30 a.m.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman, identified the boy as Osiris M. Lumanyika. His parents are Clement Lumanyika, father, and Rashi Edmond.

A diver found the body outside a dock separating the shallow water near the beach from the rest of the lake, according to Lewis.

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

Hug_It_Out 2 years, 9 months ago

I have 3 boys, the youngest is 7, I cannot and do not want to know the devestation these parent are feeling. I know how quickly they can get away from you and I have all my prayers with you and hope you can live life without the quilt.

angel4dennis 2 years, 9 months ago

My condolences to the parents and family of this little boy. May God wrap you all in His arms during this time of sorrow and sadness.

cheeseburger 2 years, 9 months ago

Poorly written article, Mr. Hong.

Clara Westphal 2 years, 9 months ago

I LOST MY OLDEST SON THREE YEARS AGO. IT IS THE DEEPEST KIND OF HURT YOU CAN IMAGINE. I HAVE LOST MY PARENTS AND ALL OF MY SIBLINGS BUT LOSING MY SON WAS THE MOST PAINFUL.

SO SORRY FOR THE FAMILY OF THE CHILD.

Clara Westphal 2 years, 9 months ago

I LOST MY OLDEST SON THREE YEARS AGO. IT IS THE DEEPEST KIND OF HURT YOU CAN IMAGINE. I HAVE LOST MY PARENTS AND ALL OF MY SIBLINGS BUT MY SON WAS THE ABSOLUTE WORSE.

SO SORRY FOR THE FAMILY OF THE CHILD.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 9 months ago

What a sad day for the family, the 4th of July will not be a good day for them from know on, I lost my father several years ago on Christmas eve, so Christmas to me is not fun, even to this day.So sorry for this young family.

independent_rebel 2 years, 9 months ago

What a tragedy. My heart goes out to the family. I can't imagine any worse feeling in life than losing a child.

lovemybabies 2 years, 9 months ago

I am so sorry for your loss! I can't imagine what you must be going through, but I know if it was my family I would be so devastated! There is nothing worse than a child losing their life. My thoughts and prayers are with your family through this tough time!

justme2 2 years, 9 months ago

Prayers for this family. I cannot even begin to imagine what they have and will continue to go through.

Caller Hunsaker 2 years, 9 months ago

Father God, grant these parents the strength to get through this difficult time. Give them peace in knowing there son loved them and knew their love for him. Comfort them and show them your love. Help them through council to live the rest of their lives without guilt, help them financially to pay for the bills that will come with this death. Be with them always and help them to find strength through you. In Christ - Amen

mutualrespect37 2 years, 9 months ago

Too sad! I had hoped and guessed this beloved little child of God would be discovered alive!

Courtney87 2 years, 9 months ago

I am sooooooo sorry for this family's loss, I couldn't sleep all night thinkin about what they must have been going through, I think we were all praying that there would be a happy ending in this situation. I have swam im Lone Star before and I believe that if the child went under the dock (like a lot of kids do) no one would have saw him if he was fighting to stay above water, and there's not a lot of free space between the dock and the water! I believe a life guard should definetly be placed on duty, and there should be a safety net to keep kids from going under the dock!!!!! No one sould EVER have to experience a loss like this......goes to show you just how precious life really is!!!!

Confrontation 2 years, 9 months ago

This is really sad! My thoughts are will this family. I hope that the LJWorld staff seriously monitors the comments that will pop up here today.

edjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

It doesn't say how, why, and when he ended up there.

ToniD 2 years, 9 months ago

Of course, we are sending all of our thoughts and prayers toward this family for their loss. Is there anything we can do to help this family as a community?

ksb 2 years, 9 months ago

I was thinking about this boy and his family all night, and I am so deeply sorry to learn of this news. My thoughts and prayers are with the family, especially his mama.

markoo 2 years, 9 months ago

I am so sorry for this family. My sincere thoughts and prayers to them. I was just out there a couple of hours before this tragedy occurred. There were a lot of people out there, including a bunch of kids both in the shallow area enclosed by the deck area as well as in the deep area. Perhaps it would be something to consider in hindsight to have a lifeguard here after all, considering how deep that lake is.

Again, I'm so terribly sorry.

grammaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

This is so sad.Parents hug your kids tightly today and every day. You never know when it may be your last chance to do so. My condolences to his family and friends.

captainzeep 2 years, 9 months ago

Absolutely heartbreaking. My family's thoughts and prayers go out to the grieving family.

none2 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm so sorry for the family of the little boy. I will not say I know what they are going through, because I don't. Each of us deal with grief differently, and most of us are fortunate enough not to have lost children. I have heard that divorce and death are the worst things to deal with in life, and the hardest death to deal with is the death of a child. None of us want to loose siblings, spouses, friends, parents, etc. but as we age, we know that we may loose some of our loved ones over time. Most days I think of my grandmother whom I loved dearly. However, she did live just 3 months short of 100. She could have lived longer, but she was near the end of her life no matter what emotionally I like to think. However, it is against human's nature to think of a healthy child dying.

I just hope the parents know that most around here will have them, their family, their friends, and most of all their beloved child in their thoughts and prayers today and in the days to come.