City commissioners will receive a report from the city’s Retail Task Force.
The city-created task force studied for more than a year how the health of the community’s retail industry could be improved.
The report includes a recommendation to create a database that local retailers could access to learn more about the Lawrence market and what type of sales are being lost to other communities. As part of receiving the report, commissioners will consider issuing a request for proposals for consultants to develop such a database.
At 4 p.m., City Commission will meet in a study session with Douglas County Commission to discuss:
• Two proposed amendments to Horizon 2020, the city’s comprehensive plan. One is to include a chapter on environment, while the other would include the Northeast Sector Plan.
• Recognition of “Go Red for Women” campaign.
After a short break, the City Commission’s regular meeting will begin about 6:35 p.m.
• Approve commission meeting minutes of Dec. 14 and Jan. 4.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Pay claims.
• Approve licenses recommended by the city clerk’s office.
• Approve appointments recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a. Set a Feb. 15 bid date for the microsurfacing program.
b. Set a March 1 bid date for airport area sanitary sewer improvements.
c. Award a construction contract for $114,000 to Shelley Electric Inc. for North Final Electrical and Kaw Well Field Electrical Improvements.
• Adopt ordinances on final reading that:
a. Rezone 51.13 acres at the southwest corner of North 1800 Road (the Farmers’ Turnpike) and East 1000 Road (Queens Road, Extended).
b. Amend the city’s Land Development Code related to Boarding House parking standards and their ability to exist by right in certain zoning districts.
• Authorize the mayor to sign an order vacating Perry Street, west of North Seventh Street, in Smith’s Subdivision of North Lawrence.
• Accept transfer of ownership from Kansas University to the city of a manhole and about 341 feet of sanitary sewer in the right of way of 15th Street, west of Naismith Drive.
• Authorize the mayor to execute an addendum to the city manager’s employment contract.
• Authorize issuance of a request for proposals for the Arts Economy Study requested by the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission.
• Authorize the mayor to sign a letter opposing a House bill that, if approved, would prohibit municipalities’ abilities to determine appropriate residential fire protection systems and is contrary to cities’ constitutional home rule authority.
• Consider adopting on first reading an ordinance authorizing issuance of up to $10.5 million in Industrial Revenue Bonds for Lawrence Memorial Hospital to finance various improvements at the hospital.
• Consider authorizing the city manager to execute an engineering services agreement for $394,170 with Bartlett & West Engineers for design services for Iowa Street reconstruction and geometric improvements.
• Receive final report from the Retail Task Force and consider issuing a request for proposals for the retail database information, as recommended by the Retail Task Force.
• Receive staff memorandum discussing possible annexation of the Miller/Wells acres area. Consider authorizing staff to conduct a public meeting with area residents and property owners.