Letters to the Editor

Fan decorum

January 29, 2011

To the editor:

I am a regular season ticket holder for Kansas football and men’s basketball and am dismayed at the lack of civility on display by fans in non-student sections in recent seasons.

First, I am embarrassed that, at every KU game, some fans insist on ending the National Anthem with “home of the Chiefs.” I don’t like this word substitution at Chiefs games, let alone a Jayhawks game. Moreover, this is the National Anthem. Fans disrespect our country and our men and women in uniform with this base behavior.

Second, the complete lack of decorum on display by fans at both football and basketball games this season is troubling. Yes, I want the Jayhawks to win every game too, but I and everyone else in attendance need to remember that these are 18- to 22-year-old student athletes playing for both teams. They don’t deserve to have anyone screaming obscenities at them or calling them “punks” or telling them to “never show their face on the court again.”

I witnessed this belligerent, hostile, rude behavior most recently at the Kansas-Texas game. If you can’t conduct yourself with some modicum of decency, then stay home. Fans would also do well to remember that Coach Self does, in fact, know how to coach a basketball team; a national title and six consecutive conference titles prove it. Support our team, but do so with class.

Comments

friendlyjhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree with you, sir. Too much hostility from the mouths of the "adult" fans is immature and uncalled for.

JustNoticed 4 years, 3 months ago

As the Empire crumbles we become the barbarians we once so decried.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 3 months ago

Blame in on Atlanta...I think the whole thing started with..."...and the home of the, BRAVES!!" (Somewhere back before I was ever born I suppose it was novel.)

Southerners; always messin' stuff up.

Wouldn't it make more sense to say "Jayhawks!" if you are completely intent on defacing the national anthem anyway? "Chiefs?!"

There is some stuff you shouldn't mess with.

Meatwad 4 years, 3 months ago

I completely agree with Nicola. It is very embarassing and I enjoy going to games much less if I'm sitting in close proximity to someone like that. There is absolutely a way to cheer on your team against another team without stooping to that level. Unfortunately a lot of people weren't raised by their parents to be sportsmanlike. Parents need to set a good example for kids.

Abdu Omar 4 years, 3 months ago

These events take place just at a game? No. This is the demeanor of students and adults alike everywhere. Civility and manners don't count any more because we have become a relaxed and aloof country., When I attended college in the 70's, we never considered for a second to wear our pajamas or a warmup suit to class. We had self respect and thought to attract the opposite gender with class not our pajamas. Oh, well. I hope that this, too, shall pass.

Judgesmails 4 years, 3 months ago

Alot of sports fans behave like complete idiots at games.

Probably one of the reasons the NFL is struggling with attendance.

Betty Bartholomew 4 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately, it's not just the realm of college and professional sports. I was at a high school volleyball game a few months ago and the fans for the "other" team kept chanting, "I like it, I love it, I want some more of it," from the Tim McGraw song, seeming to forget the prior line is, "I don't know what it is about that little gal's lovin'". I thought it was inappropriate for an event featuring teenage girls, but maybe that's just me.

In any case, they were exceedingly loud and rude in their cheering, and that was at a high school game with players in the 14-18-year-old category. Criminy, they're just kids, most of them playing because it's fun, and some of them to try for college scholarships. The vitriol from the adults was insane.