Letters to the Editor

Ripe for repeal?

January 22, 2011

To the editor:

Let me get this straight. Conservative Republicans want to slash government programs and regulations. Yet our newly elected secretary of state, Kris Kobach, wants to establish the new requirement that everyone must show state-approved photo ID in order to vote. And this to stop voter fraud, which is reported to have averaged fewer than 10 cases per year in the entire state.

Maybe the idea is to institute this regulation so that the governor’s medieval-sounding Office of Repealer (another new state agency) can then repeal it, and use that as an example of how good they are at cutting back government.

Comments

Richard Heckler 4 years, 5 months ago

Not anymore stupid than wasting time and money on Voter ID.

ignati5 4 years, 5 months ago

The title of this new office should be amplified, for it falls on the ear as abrupt and ambiguous. As it stands, it sounds like something out of an old Bob and Ray radio routine, and lends itself to a slight mispronunciation which would suggest a GOP bureaucrat hopping down the state capitol dome holding onto a bungee strap. It needs something more official-sounding, more commensurate with the nomenclature of the other state agencies, to give it some class. How about “Repealer-General” or “Secretary of Repulsion?”

Steve Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

More name calling from Tom...how predictable.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

I guess Brownback thinks that the potatoes weren't peeled good enough the first time. So now he has a Re-peeler on staff.

tomatogrower 4 years, 5 months ago

Since Governor Brownback and his buddies are expanding government, I guess they are creating jobs. And maybe these new employees will demand that KPERS is fully funded, so they can get a pension too. This comic says it all. http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/

somebodynew 4 years, 5 months ago

Thank you !!!! Not only for this one, but the link is great for future entertainment.

sr80 4 years, 5 months ago

stupid is as stupid does and life is like a box of chocolates that is what forest told me.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm wondering if maybe some of you don't understand. Your state drivers license is all you need. If you don't drive, then yes you'd need to go get a Kansas ID--same place people get their DLs. Besides voting (if this goes into effect) there are plenty of other reasons to have a valid state ID many places won't take your check without a picture ID.. If police ever want to talk to you about something they are most likely going to want to see some identification; if you don't have any you're going to have to go through a huge hassle to prove your identity; it's a whole lot easier to just have the card! It's only a minority of people who would actually need a state ID anyway...if you've got a licence, you're already covered.

parrothead8 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm wondering if maybe you don't understand. What is the point of creating legislation (that not only costs time and money to create, but will then cost time and money to enforce) to combat something that hasn't even been a problem?

monkeyhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

It's not really about ID, is it now? It is about getting as many votes for the welfare party as possible. Some don't really care how that is accomplished just as long as their guys are in there to control the masses.

"Ride that bus." "Don't eat that." "No smoking, no balloons, no waving, no circus ....." (Elites are totally excluded.)

We pay for your health care, so we own you and you will damn well do what we want you to do ---- and your kids will too (if we allow you to have them.)

average 4 years, 5 months ago

Um, a driver's license has nothing to do with citizenship. Doesn't even prove legal residence in the country. Foreign KU students get fully valid DLs all the time, and they're good for six years, even if their student visa expires in the interim.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm not really for or against this proposal. I'm just surprised by some reactions; it's sounding like some people think (if this were to go into effect) you'd have to go get some special $50 voter identification card with tons of paperwork and all (that I'd be opposed to.)

I'd guess 95% of us already have what would be required. I have an ID with me at all times, just because I always have my wallet...in case I need to buy something, or if I need to get cash I've got my bank card. If I need to pick up a prescription I have that card as long as I have my wallet. To me it's just automatic...but I guess it isn't that way with everyone.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 5 months ago

I say it is better to keep local people on the payroll. In spite of what some powers that be and our governor think it is NOT good for our local economies to lay people off or terminate them. We need people to keep money in our LOCAL banks and credit unions.

The fewer people working in our community and state the more likely our fees and taxes are to increase.

Let's encourage our elected officials to keep people on the payroll. EVEN if we need to pay a little more.

Does anyone reading this want to be without a job?

monkeyhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

"Yes I would rather my taxes be spent on keeping people in Kansas on the job rather than my taxes being spent to afford tax cuts for the wealthy or to big government corporate welfare."

I seriously doubt that your paltry contribution keeps anyone in a job. Stop trying to snow us.

For those who are not quite in favor of showing ID to vote - remember the mantra "elections have consequences. You lost."

You should have voted more often in Nov.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 5 months ago

somebody new, I agree, for some reason this topic is kinda fun.

1. Nobody has proven it will cost a dime more to have citizens show I.D. I have come over to the side which over the course of time we can offer free I.D. cards to needy elderly. Always feel bad for folks using WW2 pictures in obits.

I.D. for homeless is already a free service.

1. I'd bet a hunert bucks if Kitty Kate Sebelius was trying to do the same thing as Brownback/Kobach conservatives would be fighting the no I.D. fight.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 5 months ago

Starlight, The first thing folks try to do with homeless is establish I.D. Reason, hopefully another agency dealing with them will take on the expense. Most homeless will toss I.D. in the trash.

A good analogy would have been how we make I.D. disappear.

Learn me different Starlight.

ignati5 4 years, 5 months ago

On what basis do you say, "Most homeless will toss their I.D. in the trash (sic).?" Or, as an earlier post maintained, what evidence is there that mere homelessness is a criterion for getting a state ID without paying twenty bucks? In the phenomenological world, which too few right -wingers acknowledge, the Kobach proposal smacks of a poll tax. And that, of course, is banned by consititutional amendment. BG

Scott Morgan 4 years, 5 months ago

ignati5 From experience mi amigo, from experience.

Take a trot, or bike, take the T down to any homeless center, or better yet just call a tax based (you and I pay, if you pay taxes) or volunteer social service agency and ask them if they try to establish a home base for our less fortunate.

Many, a majority of homeless folks do not wish for any help, except the money you give them through begging. Bet you bought into the saving up to call mommy stories. The least they wish for is to be excused from all the horrifying talk of working an 8 to 5 job, or even an 8 to 8:30 job.

Look at the intake person with loving bugged out "we can help the world eyes" asking them if our homeless have to pay for an I.D. card. Good grief, they know they can get through life not paying anything.

Of course they ditch I.D cards as fast as we can print them. Why would they wish New York to know good old Lawrence Kansas tried the same help me programs without success.

ignati5 4 years, 5 months ago

For your information, I have done considerable volunteer work and contributed food and money to the Lawrence Homeless Shelter. I also pay income and property taxes. Nothing like actually doing some of the things you so dismissively suggest to dispel the stereotypes you purvey above. Nor are my eyes "bugged out" with mawkish good intentions; there are no poster children down there. "Homelessness" is a challenge to public policy which citizens ought to address through government. Disenfranchement due to their poverty or one's own ignorance of the situation should not be part of the formula. BG

Mike Ford 4 years, 5 months ago

the state of Kansas has fought tribally issued license plates from Kansas in the past while tribal tags from Oklahoma, South Dakota, Minnesota, North Dakota are allowed. This state has a love affair with Dumblicans doing fiscally and intellectually stupid things. Such is Kansas.

notajayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't the ever-growing size of that chip on your shoulder make you walk crooked, tuschie?

mr_right_wing 4 years, 5 months ago

We're living in a society where proof of identity is becoming more and more important. If you work a job that has some sensitivity to it, most likely you've had to start wearing an ID. Requiring someone to prove their identity is one step against identity theft. It's just an unfortunate sign of the times we live in; we don't live in a world anymore where you can trust who someone says they are...

Jimo 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes, sort of like the GOP running on a (very, very, very vague) platform of reducing the budget deficit yet immediately turn around and manufacture billionaire welfare give-aways to dramatically increase the deficit.

You'd almost think they weren't being honest with you.