Letters to the Editor

Violence decried

January 14, 2011

To the editor:

Members of the Lawrence Coalition for Peace and Justice share the deep sense of grief for the victims of the shooting in Tucson, Ariz. We abhor the use of violence, violent language which has its deadly consequences and violent behavior used to achieve political goals and ends. This is most certainly true of the Tucson massacre.

On the heels of a peaceful change of leadership in Washington these savage and senseless murders shake our hope in our political system. The brutal reprisals in the Georgia prison strike constitutes another form of senseless violence which we abhor. Violence against our elected officials as well as against peaceful protesters strikes at the heart of our belief in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We denounce violence as a civic tool or a political statement.

Comments

kansastruthteller 3 years, 11 months ago

Why do these murders shake your hope in our political system? I could understand that comment if the murders in AZ were politically motivated, but they were not. They were committed by a mentally ill person who by all accounts was not political.

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

I think they are talking about the assassination attempt on the congresswoman in Arizona. Do you think it was a robbery gone bad? It is a bit nonsensical to pull the discussion back to rather a political assassination attempt is political. I don't know if the shooter was mentally ill but even mentally ill persons shoot people for political reasons. You might not agree with their politics or reasoning as I don't agree with yours, that doesn't mean your political stands aren't political. I don't even want to know if you define political as nothing to do with thoughts or feelings about government control.

Rich Noever 3 years, 11 months ago

We don't know if they were politically motivated as this guy has not spoke yet about his feelings. He may have started shooting because he didn't like her outfit she was wearing or some voices were telling him to do it. Chill out and have some more tea and cheese!

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

You don't know if it was political? Someone thinks it was a fashion statement. Someone who must be obsessed with fashion. That is an interesting conclusion. I have no polite opinion on your claim. that because the person was probably deranged it had nothing to do with politics. You reasoning that it was not political seems a bit far fetched. but you may be right, it probably wasn't political. Calm down, put the rock down. Right , shooting a congresswoman isn't political, it was probably a fashion statement. Calm down, no one has to get hurt. Fashion was obviously the reason. Calm down,sure, it wasn't political. Complete coincidence that a congresswoman was involved. You don't have to think about it. It must hurt to think and type at the same time.

ignati5 3 years, 11 months ago

Whenever an elected official is harmed in the excercise of his duties, the citizen may have his hope for the orderly conduct of representative government "shaken." Mad or not (and he is manifestly mad) the assassin's notes indicate that he was targeting the congresswoman and that the other deaths may have been incidental. The would-be assassin of Ronald Reagan was similarly deranged and even less politically motivated, if at all, but his act too had a chilling effect on the freedom of public officials. bg

kansastruthteller 3 years, 11 months ago

Why does this shake your hope for the orderly conduct of a representative government? Our political system will not change because of this heinous act. Yes, it will change how our elected representatives move through society, but they will still represent us and our political system is still one of the best in the world.

Liberty275 3 years, 11 months ago

You said it best, Corky. Peaceniks think they are the only ones that care about the victims of violence. They aren't. They do seem to be the first to scream "the sky is falling", nevermind we have had persons of every political office assassinated before, leaving our government intact.

The LTTE reeks of drama and can't break itself away from trying to use the tragedy to advocate for the writer's chosen causes. Generally i wouldn't care, but the this letter writer seems a bit careless with our freedom of expression. I'll take the violence of the people over the government's muzzle 7 days every week.

verity 3 years, 11 months ago

The letter says nothing of "government muzzle."

"We denounce violence as a civic tool or a political statement."

I'd say your comment is a bit more dramatic than the letter.

Liberty275 3 years, 11 months ago

"violent language which has its deadly consequences"

Demonizing something is the first step towards banning it.

verity 3 years, 11 months ago

You're making a really wild jump---again, who is being dramatic?

verity 3 years, 11 months ago

And, no, "peaceniks" do not think they are the only ones that care about the victims of violence. Like I said, your comment is more dramatic than the letter.

jafs 3 years, 11 months ago

"I'll take the violence of the people over the government's muzzle 7 days every week"

Ok - let's hope nobody you love gets killed or seriously injured.

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

It sure reminded me of how deeply shaken and sad I was when Kennedy was assassinated. I was younger and it was terrifying and terrible. I am older and the shootings in Arizona seem terrifying and terrible I don't think my feelings are inappropriate. I don't cower from guns or gun men, i feel terror that someone shoots children in the head and smiles. I don't have as much hope in the political system as you do. i think that faith is misplaced. I place more hope in the American people than I do in politics or corporations. I have some hope in the political system but I trust family and community more. But if you put all your hope in, say the republican party, that is your right. I don't think that way about any political party. Your claim to speak for an entire generation, many who died defending their country is too generous on your part. It is neither weak or amoral to speak against your opinion. It is just someone who disagrees with your reasoning. G, get over yourself.

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

I am sorry you have no emotions about the deaths and shootings. Having emotions is not the same as being ruled by them. Perhaps denying you have any emotions is being ruled by them.

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

First, you imply I am ruled by my emotions by admitting them, then you yell straw man argument when I put it back at you I apologize for thinking you might have some reasoned stand.

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

That post was more reasoned than any you made previously.

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

Who chose to make the shooting of Congresswoman G and the persons attending the meeting a political assassination attempt rather than just another fashion statement or robbery? Any person who isn't in bizarre denial of what the words political assassination attempt means. Who chose to say deranged persons could not be politically motivated? Is that the new political thought, just deny what words mean and that way no real conversation has to penetrate your thinking pan. Was his political reasoning sound, no, probably not.

jafs 3 years, 11 months ago

I think she means the mid term elections.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

Still waiting for any actual evidence that Mr. Nutcakes in AZ was influenced by anything other than his own grass-fueled fantasies.....

Fossick 3 years, 11 months ago

Patience of Job, amigo. I salute you.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 11 months ago

It may not be the case in this instance, but Beck, Palin, Rush, O'Reilly, et al, are nothing, if not persistent. And their barely veiled exhortations to violence certainly have a devoted audience.

Jimo 3 years, 11 months ago

Or as Lincoln said: "Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

Can America hope to be blessed for mistreating its own citizens? Can we expect to reap something other than what we sow?

itwasthedukes 3 years, 11 months ago

When the little guy in the fight who is responsible for starting the rhetoric starts to lose they look for any reason to cry foul. Did any of you really think that after what was done to Bush, the respect for the presidency would just snap back? The left and the right are in a race to the bottom, make no mistake letters like the one above are just rhetoric when they are not based in facts.

The guys was nuts and he killed a Bush appointed judge as well but we just ignore that fact because it doesn't fit the template.

verity 3 years, 11 months ago

Wait, wasn't killing the judge just collateral damage like shooting the little girl was? You can't have it both ways.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

"...violent language which has its deadly consequences and violent behavior used to achieve political goals and ends. This is most certainly true of the Tucson massacre." Why do you think that?

ignati5 3 years, 11 months ago

Has anyone else noticed that, despite efforts to pin the rap on Palin & Co., the usual barrage of rhetoric about "gun control" is less prominent this time around. Perhaps it's because the "alleged" assassin is so nuts people figure he would have found a way with or without a loaded weapon. Perhaps it's because NRA lobbying has done its job well enough that opponents have given up. BG

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

The comparison of the NRA and PETA is spot on.

jafs 3 years, 11 months ago

Really?

I wasn't aware that guns were living creatures, and had rights of any sort.

Liberty275 3 years, 11 months ago

Coalitions for peace do for peace what phelps does for babies.

verity 3 years, 11 months ago

"Perhaps it's because NRA lobbying has done its job well enough that opponents have given up."

Spot on---you're the first person I have seen who actually points out the obvious.

verity 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't know why people are getting in such a bother about this letter. The letter writer is making a statement eschewing violence as a way to solve problems. Maybe we all need to be reminded of that periodically, not just in politics, but in our daily lives---not just physical violence, but verbal and emotional violence. Ratcheting up anger rarely solves a problem. Rather it intimidates and intimidation has no place in a democracy.

Is there anything wrong with making such a statement? Of course violence such as this, against a public official, or violence against those trying to unionize or protest peaceful has a chilling effect. Do you deny that?

verity 3 years, 11 months ago

Sadly, I agree with most of what you said and I doubt that the people from the Coalition for Peace and Justice have any illusions either. I'm not a part of it, but I do know some of them. I don't see any wishful thinking in the letter, just a reminder of what we all need to do.

What would the world be like if there weren't people working for peace and justice? Just because it is unobtainable doesn't mean that it does no good to work for it. Maybe not a good analogy, but I keep trying to get rid of the weeds in my yard even though I know I will never get rid of all of them.

I don't think you are disagreeing with anything I said.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

The issue is the writer's assumption of a causal relationship between Mr. Nutcakes's actions and political speech. In reality, that doesn't seem to exist.

Gareth Skarka 3 years, 11 months ago

The attempted assassination of a political figure is by definition political, even when committed by a "nutcake."

Here's a clue: MURDERERS ARE ALL NUTS. What makes it political is the specific target.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

"Here's a clue: murderers are all nuts." I reject that thesis. Seems to be a very flexible definition of nuts. Seems also to lessen the responsibilty of the individual murderer. Thanks for playing. Better luck next time.

Gareth Skarka 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow. The premeditated killing of another human being isn't nuts to you? That's pretty disturbing.

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

I am sorry spnc what did you say? I wasn't listening to you since you claimed to think a political assassination wasn't political.
Gareth, I think it is a valid position to consider murderers nuts, but that is a very very broad definition of nuts. It isn't my definition, I think there are many motivations for violence, not all mental illness or defect. i doubt if mental defect was the only "motive" involved in the Tuscon tragedy. I think, but I don't know, this political assassin is probably deranged. That doesn't mean the political climate didn't affect his thinking, nor does it mean people have no responsibility in how they conduct their political campaigns. We hold sports figures to a higher standard than we hold political leaders for how they act and what they say.

Daniel Dicks 3 years, 11 months ago

Maybe, just maybe, showing up at politcal rallies with loaded assault rifles and hand guns could give a weak-minded fool the wrong idea. Maybe a targeted map of congressional districts does too. Or saying "don't retreat, reload!" Saying that "Second Amendment Remedies" might be a political solution could give the wrong impression as well. And constantly screaming about "tyranny" and "socialism" calling your polical foes "evil" might not help either. And Sarah Palin can say " taking up arms" means "voting "all she wants. But it doesn't pass the laugh test . IMHO.

Daniel Dicks 3 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, there is a real problem with liberals showing up threatening violence at political events. I've seen this one "knife' example used a lot as a conservative defense. I'll admit, a poor choice of words. But is that all you got? It is wearing thin, like you have a hard time finding other examples. And what else? Maybe something akin to etching "you Lie" on a commemerative Joe Wilson AR-15 receiver? Want to see who can come up with the most egregious example over the last few years? Bring it!

jafs 3 years, 11 months ago

Instead of arguing which side is worse, why not simply advocate that both sides stop?

Daniel Dicks 3 years, 11 months ago

Montel? What public office is he running for? Besides, even libs know he is kind of nuts. Democrats dont let the nuts drive the bus like conservatives.

Daniel Dicks 3 years, 11 months ago

Born Again? That is a leap of reality right there! Get a grip!