Archive for Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Jefferson County residents voice opinions on proposal for strip club

Lawrence businessman, owner of Paradise Saloon, wants to open new venue near Meriden

January 5, 2011

A Lawrence businessman’s proposal for a strip club just outside Meriden city limits has sparked a furor among Jefferson County residents who don’t want to see adult entertainment next to their schools.

More than 100 of those residents, many in opposition of the idea, gathered at Oskaloosa Middle School on Tuesday night to voice their opinions before the Jefferson County Planning and Zoning Commission.

“We’re just kind of devastated,” area resident Pearl Raugewitz said. “We’re a fairly small community. We have schools there and churches, and they want to bring in trash.”

The applicant is Zach Snyder, owner of the Douglas County gentlemen’s club Paradise Saloon, which sits just north of Lawrence. Snyder is asking for a conditional use permit for a sexually oriented business that serves alcohol and is a private club. The strip club would go into an existing building already along Kansas Highway 4 just east of the Meriden city limits.

The strip club would be about 900 feet away from Jefferson West High School and within 800 feet of Jefferson West Middle School. If approved, the club would share a property line with the Jefferson West Unified School District. Area resident and parent Alan Hein said he didn’t believe the club was something kids needed to see.

“I’m not opposed to them having the right to do this,” Hein said. “It’s just the location.”

Along with the two schools, Jefferson County planner Duane Buscher said the strip club would be close to a day care and homes.

Tuesday’s meeting was a continuation of a public meeting last month. In that time, Jefferson County Citizens Group has collected more that 660 signatures in opposition of the strip club.

Daniel and Pat Shimmin attended the meeting but admitted to being in the minority. Pat said she estimated 80 percent of the attendees were opposed to the proposal. The Ozawkie couple said they thought the issue was being blown out of proportion.

“What kids see outside that building is 1/16th what they can go home and watch on television or online,” Daniel said. “They’re making a mountain out of a molehill, and the poor mole’s been dead for 20 years.”

Paul Johnson, a member of the planning commission, said another continuation is scheduled for Jan. 18 at 7 p.m. and likely would be at the middle school. Johnson said he thought a recommendation would be reached at that meeting and presented to Jefferson County Commission for a final vote.

Comments

thebigspoon 3 years, 3 months ago

If you don't want to go to it then just stay out of it... It is a free country no body is forcing you to go to it.

luv2bsxy 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm a dancer in this area and I want to say that I don't agree that a Club should be placed anywhere near a School or a Church.....Sexual Clubs are for adults not children though I do think we can't hide it from the children and the children should be talked to about clubs I do not think they need to encounter them till they are older. As a dancer I will say this it's not all about being a slut or a whore though some of the girls are it's about the money and making the customer feel better about themselves when they leave. It's not all men either it's couples and sometimes just women by themselves. I like making people feel sexy, making them feel like someone actually likes them in a sexual manner even if I really don't. Think of it as Therapy in ways. Though sometimes there are slime balls and I can't stand them, but sometimes they are really gentlemen who are kind but just have trouble getting up the courage to talk to women so they come somewhere where the women are guaranteed to talk to them.....Men are fragile and scared like children sometimes even if they don't look or act like it all the time.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 3 months ago

I am willing to be realistic; 'adult entertainment' has, and will always be part of our society.

One thing the federal government is great at, is finding (often very complicated) ways to tax everything and anything. Why is there no 'sin tax' on adult websites, magazines, books, videos and strip clubs?

Carol Bowen 3 years, 3 months ago

Why does a potential business have more rights than the community? Businesses do not have constitutional rights. People do.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

having finished high school in Jefferson County, I know of a couple women I went to school with who worked at these places. I also know of a couple of my female classmates who did really big things in life. I saw the high school drunkeness, the high school pregnancies, the overzealous bisexual school teachers who snowed the unknowning people of said town where I lived and wasn't dismissed until after I graduated. The look the other way morality bit that passes in these communities is always blown up by the blindsiding of reality. It's like William Faulkner putting the whole south up for scrunity again.

shamanator 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, bad things happen everywhere. We can only do so much to protect kids and those on the road, after that it is up to the individual to make the right choice. Which includes teaching our kids to make good choices, hoping and praying each time they venture out they will come home unharmed. Everyone should know right from wrong but people disappoint, its human nature. As I mentioned, I have no idea what hours these clubs operate, but I do know they are open at least by 5 pm, so guys on their way home from work can enjoy a few drinks with a view.
Strip clubs will exist, its a fact, this one just needs to reconsider its location. And yes, most crimes against children are committed by a trusted adult-parent, teacher, relative, etc. But they are also committed by strangers.
Again, just pick a more appropriate location. I can't figure out why this business owner wants to go through all this garbage to open in the first place. I would guess just owning a gentlemens club has enough drama without putting it in a school zone. As for the drinking and driving and/or under the influence of whatever, I would hate to guess how many are on the road impaired whether its from alcohol, drugs, or prescription drugs. I could name about 200 people who do it daily, its messed up. Most are commuters, living in rural areas but working in the city. So putting a strip club in town will not stop that.
True, once the media gets a hold of something there are facts that will be left out or ones that will be exaggerated. Remember the song 'Dirty Laundry' 'dirty little secrets and dirty little lies, we need dirty laundry' (condensed) Or..the club owner is playing a card he knows he cannot win, but...it gets his name out there, it draws attention to the fact that he will open a club in that area and people like us will follow this story to the end and know where the establishment will in fact open...free advertising, marketing....just a thought

shamanator 3 years, 3 months ago

The problem seems to be the location. Someone posted that it would help to eliminate drunk driving accidents for those 'gentlemen' who travel to and from the Topeka clubs. Is this proposed club going to be a juice bar? I am clueless on the hours the clubs operate, but I can see where this is really an inappropriate location. Worst case scenerio's are that some 'gentleman' gets his drink on, gets 'interested' (not sure what 'safe' word to use here) and can't get what he is after in the club, but there goes your 12-14 year daughter old trotting home from school past the place.... Another...some 'gentlemen' gets hammered and drives drunk through the school zone hits a kid, whether its during, before or after regular school hours or during a school function often held in the evening hours.
Another...dude gets drunk and doesn't live in Meriden, still has to drive say to Valley, Nortonville, Oskie, etc. So he might be a little closer to home than Topeka, he is still driving under the influence... The Paradise, the Dirty Bird, All Stars and the Outhouse (only ones I personally know of) all seem to be located either on the edge of or out of town. Fine, have the strip club, but find a more appropriate location, not next to a school, thats not even using good sense, but thats just my opinion.

ralphralph 3 years, 3 months ago

The free-speech alternative to outlawing the place = Set up web-cams next door showing live shots of all the customers/johns coming and going (so to speak), with close up shots of the license plates.

catfishturkeyhunter 3 years, 3 months ago

So much for America being a democracy.

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

Did you know that children are made from sperm and an egg? Wow, I just found that out maybe if I had a strip club down the road from me as a child, i would know how things work. I have been taught that naked bodies are evil in fact, I close my eyes when I shower. I am a much better person having had my parents shelter me so much as a kid I mean if they would have allowed me to look at the outside of a house of ill repute I could have grown up to be a killer or something. That is ok i still have my faith in the lord above and I know that man and dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time

Tact 3 years, 3 months ago

It is sad that comments above poke fun of this topic...Bring your daughter to work day, Field trips...really? I'm assuming that the comments above, in favor of this business in this location are not residents of Jefferson County, if so then where were you when asked for speakers to speak in favor of this establishment, but you will post a comment, so that no one knows who you are, then you must not be very certain with your opinion...the only speakers in favor of were NON JF county residents and ALL that spoke in favor of would benefit financially from this business being established. Not one JF resident spoke in favor of this establishment. This type of business doesn't belong in the middle of a small town and for sure not next to a school and daycare...

Fossick 3 years, 3 months ago

"A proper-functioning strip club is a place for a mature man of wealth to help a young woman work through her daddy issues.” - Maurice Honey

Clark Coan 3 years, 3 months ago

The problem with strip clubs is it amounts to mutual exploitation. The men exploit the women and the women exploit the men.

sissezz 3 years, 3 months ago

oh u all are tooooo funny today!! I cant wait to come back tomorrow!!

greenworld 3 years, 3 months ago

I heard the grainery (apple valley) just closed. thats out in the middle of nowhere, whats wrong with that site?? Or would that piss off to many people that live in lakeside village(slums)

Ray Parker 3 years, 3 months ago

Improve your community. Shut down a strip joint or smut shop today.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

Call it a Vocational Education satellite building.

TomKat 3 years, 3 months ago

If you want to pay for high priced beer and to look at women I have no problems with a strip club. But I've seen one too many drunk men pull into and out of the Paradise. I'd prefer not to read a headline about a crash with a high school student and a drunk man. And yes there are cars there in the early afternoon and for those lucky ones, left overs from the night before. With the construction on 24/40 in front of the paradise, most of the orange cones are taken out in front. Disrespect for others safety or too drunk to notice pulling across the road? Good luck to you Zach...I just hope it's not by a school. I hope you are a better man than that.

macon47 3 years, 3 months ago

the road the meriden is bad enough during the day i would hate think of a bunch of drunks trying to make it home to lawrence from there after dark

Jimo 3 years, 3 months ago

Cause nothing says 'Kansas Appalachia' like a strip club next to a school.

At least it will make career counseling easier.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 3 months ago

"OK, so was it asking what Anna's opinion would be that got my post pulled?"

The LJW has always protected Anna for some reason. I didn't see anything that violated the OTS.

none2 3 years, 3 months ago

It amazes me that if the topic was about smoking restrictions, then we would have so many fanatical posts from the right about how private property rights are being taken away. However, if you change the topic to adult entertainment, then all of a sudden the number of people supporting private property rights goes way down.

I guess it goes to show that private property rights were never absolute.

Kash_Encarri 3 years, 3 months ago

OK, so was it asking what Anna's opinion would be that got my post pulled?

Steve Miller 3 years, 3 months ago

It would appear that the problem with the location is that the locals want to go there, but they are afraid that their neighbors would drive by and see there vehicles parke in front of the establishment. Thats why they like the locatino to be in the " outback". Just saying..

MacHeath 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, I finally know the name of the shyster that ruined the Paradise Saloon....not that I would ever go to a place like that... Actually, I don't go there any longer, and it is because Synder took it over, and established more of a "Stalag" atmosphere then it had before. I got tired of giving my business to a guy that treats his customers, and his employees, like trash. Don't worry folks, he can hardly keep the Paradise running, he won't have a chance establishing a new business.

pooter 3 years, 3 months ago

Think of the kids, and think of the costs.

If approved, the schools wouldn't even have to load the kids onto buses for a field trip on career day.

gbulldog 3 years, 3 months ago

Four reasons to support a Strip club in Meriden 1) reduce deaths on K 4 caused by drunk drivers driving from stip clubs in Topeka, 2) performers and customers maybe healthier than those in Topeka thus less chance to become infected from extracraticular activities, 3) less chance of getting caught for illegal activties by law enforcement, and 4) able to attract the upstanding citiizens in Topeka and Lawrence to be able them to do things that they would not due in their hometown. Ever see the movie Porky's,

estespark 3 years, 3 months ago

"The strip club would be about 900 feet away from Jefferson West High School and within 800 feet of Jefferson West Middle School."

If approved, the club will be within the boundaries of the schools' drug free zone.

But I'm sure drugs won't be an issue at a gentlemen's club....

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

If they share a property line, then that's too close to a school. Common sense dictates that the club be place somewhere else.

justforfun 3 years, 3 months ago

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 3 months ago

Kash_Encarri 3 years, 3 months ago

jimincountry 3 years, 3 months ago

Places like this should be located in the woods or at least away from homes and schools......and in no case should it be in my backyard.

Charlie Sabotage 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't see the problem. First of all, the kids at these schools aren't old enough to get in (the majority). Second, drive your kid on 24-40 or down North second and they're going to see the "girls, girls, girls" buildings anyway. I mean, any kid in high school is probably old enough to drive and can go past any establishment they please. And if we are going to "things that are bad for children" let's keep them out of conveinence stores too, there are cigarettes there. Might give a kid an idea to smoke.
Leave them alone and let them do it. If te surrounding communities are so against then they have the choice not to attend the venue.
And why are we having board meetings against this being NEAR a school IN the school of concern? Isn't there a barn out there big enough to fit this discussion into? there are many clubs all over the world, this isn't going to be the only one these kids will ever see in their lifetime.
And I do believe it is up to the parents of the students to explain what that building would be if needed, but many of these parents can't even explain sexual education to them.
Leave them alone, if you want them gone so bad let them open up and then give them no business. I think people are just scared of what they don't know and since this is new to them it's time to get our pitchforks and go witch hunting

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 3 months ago

"Besides, strip clubs discriminate against ugly women. Won't someone think of the uglies? "

I take it you haven't been to The Outhouse.

Keith Richards 3 years, 3 months ago

Paying to see women naked is called dating Mr Right Wing. You just do it differently. You took a woman to a movie, maybe dinner, and the tried to get her naked. Difference? Oh, she had feelings for you, I see please keep legislating your morality.

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

"Alan Hein said he didn’t believe the club was something kids needed to see."

It is a frickin building bub. Your little kiddies eyes will only see bricks and maybe a sign that will say the name of the club. If that is too hard for your little one's eyes than you should be worried more about your child being afraid of a building than the building itself. The problem is in the people's minds as you can not see through the building only think about what is going on in it and that is their problem not the clubs or its customers

Booyakasha!

Fossick 3 years, 3 months ago

rickyricard40 3 years, 3 months ago

Now Now Children, let's not fight over a mole that's already dead.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 3 months ago

perverts club, really? I'm really sorry that the thought of a woman's nude body is scary for you. I bet the whole adam/eve situation just makes you writhe in your seat.

While you are correct in one aspect; around here, there aren't a lot of gentlemen gracing the clubs, but to call them all perverts is, well, so very Puritan.

Also, this entire thing about saving the children "oh lord, the children, what will they do??" Maybe they'll grow up and not be prudish tools.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 3 months ago

I always laugh at this term "gentleman's club" You're not going to find one "gentleman" anywhere near these other desperate male losers.

Let's be more accurate....perverts club!