Archive for Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Restaurant owner Bob Schumm to seek another stint on Lawrence City Commission

January 4, 2011

A longtime downtown restaurant owner and former Lawrence mayor has added his name to the mix of candidates seeking a seat on the City Commission.

Bob Schumm on Tuesday launched his campaign for one of three seats on the commission by touting an economic development plan that puts a focus on small, homegrown businesses and creation of a new downtown retail incubator.

“It seems very, very difficult these days to attract a firm from one city to another,” Schumm said. “Those opportunities are so few and far between. It seems like we should make more efforts to create homegrown businesses. Once a company starts in Lawrence, often times they don’t leave.”

The idea of a downtown incubator that would help small retail businesses get started is one way the city could get more involved, Schumm said. He said the city might be able to provide incubator tenants with a “very small” subsidy to help with rent and property taxes while their businesses get established.

Schumm has owned and operated restaurants in Downtown Lawrence for the last 40 years. He currently owns Buffalo Bob’s Smokehouse and The Dynamite Saloon. Schumm, 64, also is a veteran of Lawrence City Hall, winning three city commission elections. He served from April 1979 to April 1981 and then again from April 1987 to April 1993. He served as mayor from April 1989 to April 1991.

On other issues, Schumm said:

• He supports efforts to redevelop the former Farmland Industries fertilizer plant into a business park.

• He wants to promote city planning that does more blending “of residential, recreational and retail space.”

Schumm is the fourth candidate to declare for the race. Former planning commissioner Hugh Carter, library board member Mike Machell and current City Commissioner Mike Dever all have filed for seats. Commissioners Rob Chestnut and Lance Johnson have not yet said whether they plan to seek re-election. Three of the five seats on the commission will be up for grabs. The top two vote-getters will serve four-year terms, while the candidate in third place will serve a two-year term.

The filing deadline is noon Jan. 25. A primary election, if needed, will be on March 1. The general election will be April 5.

Comments

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh God, just what Larryville needs, more Shummbo.

Jim Williamson 3 years, 11 months ago

I'll post it again since it disappeared: I wish Bob Schumm would get a real job and leave us all alone.

Phil Minkin 3 years, 11 months ago

During his first stint as commissioner, Bob was a tool of the C of C and too late realized that it wasn't in the best interests of Lawrence(by his own admission to me) and was defeated for re-election. Later he was swept in with the anti mall commissioners and did a credible job balancing neighborhood and Chamber concerns. He offers a common sense, business approach to gov while realizing it is neighborhoods and the quality of life that make Lawrence a good place to live.

rockchalker52 3 years, 11 months ago

I like his home-grown business stance & would like to hear more about his ideas for facilitating that.

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 years, 11 months ago

I've always heard that "Buffalo Bob" was an ass, skimped out on paying his employees and cheated anyone he thought he could. Never worked for him but had plenty of friends who did, everyone eventually quit after they got screwed enough.

Clark Coan 3 years, 11 months ago

He won't win because nobody remembers him. He was pro-developer, pro-banker and pro- land speculator--a regular Chambercrat who was against the neighborhoods. He dislikes homeless people and sometimes refuses to serve them. Plus, the food in his restaurants was...

BruceWayne 3 years, 11 months ago

if no one remembers him he WILL win. it is those of us that DO remember him that will vote against. like 90 percent of those past and present, he has his own interest at heart. and have a redhhok ale to wash down that plate of grease soaked, soggy, nasty curly fries.

scopi_guy 3 years, 11 months ago

Those have got to be the grossest fries I've ever had in my life.
Plus, they're served ice cold.

gerbaldo 3 years, 11 months ago

Hey Bob,

Not for sure if you read this or not. I'm middle aged and from out of town ( KC area ). Me and my wife used to enjoy going to MASS St. and dining and shopping. Last 2 times we were pulled over and harassed by Lawrence's finest, searching for DUI's.. My wife insists there are cameras watching patrons as they depart their favorite establishment.

Guess why we havent been back in 2 years? We used to go once a month or more. Good luck down your way with your policing and running off customers. Might want to concentrate more on your panhandlers instead of paying customers. Wont be back anytime soon. To bad, huh? : )

gerbaldo 3 years, 11 months ago

What do they use those cameras for downtown then? Hmmmmm, mr. smart guy? Her supposition isn't unfounded.

withchild 3 years, 11 months ago

wasn't Schumm the guy who was stuck in the Clinton outhouse a few years ago?

BruceWayne 3 years, 11 months ago

the guy taht told the cops he was getting his money out he dropped? that guy? his hands were duct taped to his sides and his feet taped together. that guy?

boater63 3 years, 11 months ago

yes it was him iknow the the park ranger that was there when they pulled him out of there

BruceWayne 3 years, 11 months ago

can you provide a link to this "quote"?

shleppy 3 years, 11 months ago

can we make this article the leading story already? Ive seen at least four spots on bob in the last few weeks. thats some serious advertising some people would pay good money for.

farmgal 3 years, 11 months ago

i've been told that he's the #1 reason that gourmet meals on wheels are not allowed in lawrence. that type of food is very popular in a lot of other cities. it's a shame lawrence is so restrictive. i think he didn't want the competition for his greasy spoon bbq place.

repaste 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't know if outhouse story was true, but it is funny. Wasn't he the one that happened to have 10k worth of guns in his pickup and it caught fire while he was target shooting? Did he have another big fire claim as well? I have heard a story about a work party, a waitress, and the bathroom. . .

Paula Kissinger 3 years, 11 months ago

The only bathroom story I know about was the one where his head was shoved into a toilet...

Matthew Herbert 3 years, 11 months ago

as a completely random side note- Buffalo Bob's smokehouse is the worst barbecue I've ever had. I've eaten bbq in 7 different states and probably 100+ restaurants...there are only 3 restaurants that I will NEVER return to. Buffalo Bob's is in that grouping.

JackMcKee 3 years, 11 months ago

How about a City Commission Seat Amber Ale. NOW!!!!!!

JackMcKee 3 years, 11 months ago

Seriously, though. As far as the trust fund babies in Lawrence go, Bob isn't all that bad. I'm more worried about conflicts of interest between certain law firms and city agencies. In particular, so called "republicans" that keep volunteering for tax increasing ballot incentives.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 11 months ago

trust-fund baby?

I remember when he shilled sandwiches door to door to the students, before he had any restaurant.

JackMcKee 3 years, 11 months ago

If you want to know who I'm talking about look up who was the Treasurer of the increase the property taxes for a parking garage campaign, AKA, the Library Addition.

JackMcKee 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh, by the way, if you have a glance at where the Library morons decided to have their celebrations...it was Bob's Jackpot Saloon. Now we have a Library Board Member and Bob running for City Commission. Coincidence?

pizzapete 3 years, 11 months ago

Did Bob buy the Jackpot, I thought it was owned by the Rewind lounge owner.

oliveoyl 3 years, 11 months ago

It's the Replay Lounge. Both The Replay and Jackpot Saloon are owned by Nick Carroll. I think the JackMcKee meant Dynamite Saloon.

JackMcKee 3 years, 11 months ago

And have look at the lawyer that represented the Bowersock Damn and the chummy relationship he had with the City Commission. His name rhymes with price.

JackMcKee 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh and another person in that firm is just too excited, is the President of the Chamber of Commerce, to welcome Doug Compton to take over the public parking garage. Tell me, who is behind the corruption in Lawrence?

JackMcKee 3 years, 11 months ago

oh and if you people at this firm want to know who I am...ask nicely around the clubs the your members belong to. I'll gladly fess up.

Hadley_says 3 years, 11 months ago

Like him or not, I attribute him as the person most acitively involved who stopped that gawd-awful proposal to stick a downtown super mall into the 600 block of Massachusetts. Dolph and the chamber types were all hot for that, and it almost happened. Sure that may have benefited his property interest, but it also benefited the entire community too.

So although some here have accused him of being a chamber-developer type, I certainly don't see him that way. Nor do I see him as a Boog progressive. I would put him in the middle.

That Mall development would have been a disaster for downtown, as well as a disaster for the entire city, and surrounding neighborhoods.

I don't care whit one about his food. Enough people must like it that he stays in business. This is a college town, not a town of fine dining. Numerous restaurant closings over the years teaches us this. Besides that has nothing to do with city commission.

At least he is not a bankrupt developer who hides his assets from the banks while approving every requested exception possible to our development code.

James Sneegas 3 years, 11 months ago

I have worked personally for Bob and he has used our plumbing services for at least 25-30 years.He has never short changed me or even acted like he would. I dislike the rumor mills that get started about people and are never actually proven. Bob is a straight shooter as far as I am concerned and he has my vote.