Letters to the Editor

Look at Arizona

January 4, 2011

To the editor:

I open my paper to see that Charles Krauthammer has joined the “Oh my god, the Obama death panels are back” crowd.

The new heath care bill mandates that payments must be made for VOLUNTARY counseling sessions, just as Section 1233 did. Mr. K glosses over this minor fact. Never let the facts get in the way of a good anti-Obama story.

If Mr. K worries about “death panels,” he should direct his attention to Arizona, where the GOP has them in full flower.

Comments

Paul R Getto 3 years, 11 months ago

We have had 'death panels' for years. They are run by the book keepers who work for the health insurance companies.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

You know what? I'd swear that I saw this exact same post on another thread this morning.

Liberty275 3 years, 11 months ago

Thank goodness (and democrats) we are now all forced to buy the product offered by thses companies.

Liberty275 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm not sure I understand all the hoopla. If the doctor thinks I'm going to die in 3 months regardless of treatment, he should tell me and keep me full of morphine so money isn't wasted on treatments that probably will have zero effect on the quality or length of my life. He should also get paid for his counsel.

Also, soylent green is people.

voevoda 3 years, 11 months ago

TomShewmon, Why are you so afraid of allowing people to talk with their doctors about end-of-life options? They could just as easily learn about options for treatments and a good quality of life that they were not aware of. Why do you think that "right-to-life" doctors will to refuse to talk with their patients about end-of-life options? That wouldn't make any sense. Or maybe you are just offended at the idea that doctors get paid for this sort of consultation, and think that they ought to volunteer their time? Or you think that people ought to depend upon the Internet instead to find reliable information? Most people would like to have the option of consulting their doctors, TomShewmon. If you don't want to do so, don't. But don't deprive other people.
Incidentally, the only "death panels" are the insurance company boards that refuse life-saving treatments to patients. That should be the target of your outrage, TomShewmon, not the Obama administration.

jafs 3 years, 11 months ago

Somebody on another story asked why there needs to be a specific billable item for this, which seems like a good question to me.

When we see our doctor, we talk about lots of different things, and pay for an office visit - he doesn't bill separately for each topic of discussion.

Why wouldn't they just spend a little time discussing end of life options, and bill it under the office visit category?

booyalab 3 years, 11 months ago

The death panel stuff is just a straw man argument. Remember, we only hate Obama because he was secretly transported over to Hawaii from Kenya after he was born. Also he's part black.

Ralph Reed 3 years, 11 months ago

Common now, you can't say things like that. Posters from small towns in Leavenworth county ENE of Lawrence might take offense because they resemble that remark.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 11 months ago

Seat belts were once just suggested. Now instead of fighting crime we have our outstanding police and deputies looking for seat belt violators. Big big big time profits for auto insurance companies. Tell a life insurance company you enjoy a good cigar and see what happens.

2015

Grandma, are you coughing again? Hack hack, no sonny, no please don't turn me in the doctor again she already thinks somethings up.

Wolverines!!!

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

The gop puts new meaning in death panels. The democrats just meant talking to a doctor about end of life issues. The republicans in Arizona don't pussy around, they are actually killing them. They say the loss of life is negligible, and that transplants just don't work.