Archive for Friday, February 25, 2011

Heard on the Hill: Pell Grants facing cuts; KU football assistant coach Chuck Long facing foreclosure in San Diego; KU Bookstore offering ink refills; new KUMC-Wichita position to help transition

February 25, 2011

Your daily dose of news, notes and links from around Kansas University.

• The U.S. House has passed a measure that would cut funding to the Pell Grant program, which provides funds for low-income students to attend college.

Under the bill, the cuts would trim the maximum award from $5,550 to $4,025.

That will have a major impact, as I reported back in 2009.

For every $100 that the maximum award is raised, that means an additional 130,000 students take advantage of the program, according to the liberal group Campaign for America’s Future.

Whether or not that figure is perfectly accurate, I think it’s as good as any information I’ve been able to find (please let me know if you know of better information).

And I think it’s clear that those kinds of cuts would mean a whole lot fewer students attending college across the nation.

• KU football offensive coordinator Chuck Long is apparently facing a foreclosure proceeding in San Diego, where he served as head coach of San Diego State University.

That’s according to the San Diego Union-Tribune, which outlines the situation pretty well.

Long bought the four-bedroom home in Poway, Calif., for $1.38 million, though it’s now valued at $830,000 today.

The foreclosure was news to Long, he told the newspaper. He’d been in escrow with a potential buyer, he said.

If you’re reading the article, don’t miss the paragraph near the end that explains a bit about Long’s contract at San Diego State. Namely, it shows how he was able to remain on the payroll at SDSU until Dec. 31 of last year, even after being fired as head coach in November 2008. Where can I get a contract like that?

• When I went through KU, I printed all my papers and other assignments on a cheap Lexmark printer. The printer was cheap, and did the job OK, but the blasted ink cartridges seemed to run out all the time.

And it seemed like buying new cartridges quickly wound up costing me more than the printer did.

The KU Bookstore is offering a potential alternative — cartridge refills. They’ve got the pricing listed.

While I’d never heard of this service before, it looks like it’s available in other places, too.

Not surprisingly, printer companies say they don’t work. Anyone have a good or bad experience with this, or know where the best place to go is?

• KU Medical Center’s Wichita campus took another step today toward its goal of becoming a four-year medical school.

The campus has announced it has hired Dennis Valenzeno as its associate dean for medical sciences and the chairman of the department of medical sciences.

Valenzeno comes to the campus from the University of Alaska-Anchorage, and before that, he worked at KUMC in Kansas City.

He will oversee basic science education in Wichita, and will be involved in developing the curriculum for the first and second year medical students. The first class of eight freshmen medical school students arrives in Wichita this fall.

• Several people have told me that this little section of the blog post where I solicit tips is their favorite part of the column. I don’t know what that says about the rest of the stuff I put in here, but here’s what I do know — none of the people who have said that to me have ever submitted any actual tips. You know what to do. Send them directly to ahyland@ljworld.com.

Comments

Phillbert 3 years, 9 months ago

And who voted to cut Pell Grants? All four Kansas House Republicans, including Kevin Yoder, though you wouldn't know that from reading the article about his visit to campus this week.

slowplay 3 years, 9 months ago

Don't worry, it won't pass the Senate. I still can't believe the reps from Kansas would vote NO on this, but I guess party affiliation is stronger than your state constituency.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 9 months ago

Poor and brown people becoming educated is a great threat to the repubs way of life. They need poor people to serve their food and wash their shirts and they need brown people to pick their veggies and cut their steaks. As long as they can keep the population uneducated their status quo won't change. Its been going on since before the civil war. Heck, even HGWells wrote about the dangers of primitives gaining literacy.

Assistance to the lower income for education is self fulfilling and one of the few self fulfilling prophecies that works well for everybody. Less dependence means lower crime and better health. Unfortunately, the repubs notion of keeping the poor and brown uneducated is also self fulfilling, trouble is, its been done already.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 9 months ago

Looks as though buying another home is risky business. Tomorrow it will likely be worth less...beware.

There are more than 9 million homes on the market. An estimated 10,000 in the KCMO metro = a buyers market.

Analysts suggest this problem will be around for a few more years because no one knows when the problem will be rectified.

Our county property values likely do not come near true market values

gsxr600 3 years, 9 months ago

As far as print cartridges go, it's really easy to do yourself. There are plenty of kits online that are specific to your printer.

They're like $20 and you can easily get 5-6 refills out of that. I would only recommend black though because color can get tricky. Basically you take a hand screw (provided) and make a hole in the top of the cartridge, then inject your ink into the reservoir and voila.

The printer companies do have a slight point though because eventually after like 5 refills the ink head will go bad and you'll need to buy a new cartridge. Still saving like $80-$100 overall though.

guesswho 3 years, 9 months ago

Isn't that why printers are generally inexpensive because they make their money off the cartridges?

My experience is that the refill cartridges do not last as long as the manufacturer's but I only tried it once or twice.

Keith 3 years, 9 months ago

We get our HP cartridges refilled at Walgreens, often there's a coupon in the Sunday ad insert.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 9 months ago

Hey Andy -- read your own paper http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/de...

That way, you won't have to give a paragraph "don't miss" status. You'll be fully aware that the situation has been covered by the LJ World before.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 9 months ago

If, as a journalist, you read something you consider newsworthy you have a responsibility to determine whether it has been covered before. This website does have a search function, and Google has been known to do some searching as well.

Not saying he shouldn't have posted it, but he should have been aware it has been covered before and not presented it as a revelation. It is not a revelation.

ahyland 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks, Bob. I think that's a fair point. I didn't mean exactly to paint it as a new revelation, but it kind of looks that way in retrospect. And though I remembered hearing about Long's contract situation long ago, you're right in that I didn't remember Chuck's excellent article. Maybe it would've been better to link to that, too. I'm glad you did.

And thanks to you, too, KRichards, for the kind words. While I'm doing the best I can here, and I'm proud of what I do, goodness knows that's far from perfect. And I'm glad folks have high expectations for me and for the paper. I think they should.

vuduchyld 3 years, 9 months ago

The foreclosure was news to Long? Well, that's what happens when one does not make one's house payment. It shouldn't be news. It's pretty obvious.

Just because one has a contract to sell, that does not mean one stops making the payment on the house.

Seems like a disappointing choice, given that Long earned right around $700K in 2009 and 2010. I'm guessing he could have chosen to make good on that obligation.

newmedia 3 years, 9 months ago

So what will it be this year? "Third and" Long or Long "overdue"?

MyName 3 years, 9 months ago

There has been cases recently, with so many foreclosures, where the banks have been foreclosing on the wrong house, or on houses that were legitimately sold already and so have new owners. I'm not saying that this is the case here, but it's not impossible for that to be "news to him".

Richard Payton 3 years, 9 months ago

M&M Office and School Supplies offer Elite branded compatibles for many inkjet cartridges. These cartridges have to be ordered so it takes one to two days to receive. Refill kits can save you money if done correctly. A few cartridges require they be primed before refilling. Those cartridges that require this step if not done, will cause ink to explode inside your printer. If using a kit also inspect the cartridge for crack's before refilling. Refill kit's will not offer the steam cleaning process that most compatibles provide to insure darker print. Laser Logic provides a great service for refilling laser cartridges and is a local company like us. That's why we often recommend them because of their great service. Hope this helps you decided which method and route you want to select.

Kontum1972 3 years, 9 months ago

mb he can jump in on tha vacancy that charlie sheen is giving up on 3.5 men...Har Har..! is the mercedes in repo too?

EJ Mulligan 3 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of contracts, I have a question: What is known about Chancellor Gray-Little's contract? How long is the term, and are there any particular tidbits that might be of interest besides that?