Letters to the Editor

Fraud evidence?

February 25, 2011

To the editor:

This letter is in response to the “Voter fraud” letter from Mary Lou Penny published Feb. 19. She stated that she had witnessed trucks taking men from one part of town to another to vote in Missouri and that she was in support of Secretary Kobach’s belief that Kansas should use picture ID’s for voters to prevent this type of fraud.

Perhaps Missouri uses a different polling system but, as a voter in Kansas, when I go to my polling place, the poll workers ask me my name and, when I tell them, they find it in the ledger of registered voters assigned to that polling place. They cross off my name and give me a ballot.

For the type of fraud to occur that Ms. Penny fears, the men driving around in trucks to various polling places would need to know the names of the voters assigned to that polling place and also know which voters assigned to that place had already voted. Such voter fraud would require previous access to voter polling assignments as well as knowledge of who had voted on the day the polling place was open.

I don’t think even Secretary Kobach claims there is this type of fraud in Kansas. Why should Kansas require picture ID’s when the problem it tries to address is not in evidence?

Comments

oldvet 4 years, 3 months ago

"...when I go to my polling place, the poll workers ask me my name and, when I tell them, they find it in the ledger of registered voters assigned to that polling place. They cross off my name and give me a ballot." There lies the problem. Someone walks into your poling place earlier in the day that you, and they give your name, and they vote. But you see no problem with that. Amazing!

parrothead8 4 years, 3 months ago

So the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" no longer applies in America?

notanota 4 years, 3 months ago

Right. And then you don't get upset or report this at all. You say, "Aw shucks! Maybe next year I'll get to vote," and then you go about your merry way without your sticker that year. It's a good thing Kris Kobach is on the scene to rescue us from this imaginary problem.

pace 4 years, 3 months ago

If that happen as you claim, then the legitimate voter would go and report the issue. I believe you imagine the problem. I am sure that did not happen to you or to anyone you know. I don't mind showing my id but I mind the expense and foot work will be required of millions of voters. You are worried about imagined scenarios, that are rare. I am worried about staged mass changes in registration and voter recognition and I believe then additional steps designed to impede certain populations. Populations that have the right to vote but will be increasingly forced to prove it. Once we are asked for id, it will turn out as everyone knows, fake ids will be the problem to be solved, then like the tea party on Obama, birth certificate and witness won't be enough to prove citizenship. You will have to be approved by committee, and I am not kidding, that is where, there will be the level of corruption we have never seen in Kansas since the goat gland doctors votes were floated on the river.

barlowtl 4 years, 3 months ago

Where does this hypothetical fradulant voter get the information in the ledger so he knows what name to give them? Ask any volunteer at a polling place & they can explain it to you. Also as a voter registration volunteer I can explain voter suppression to you,

Jan Rolls 4 years, 3 months ago

What would you do if someone told you that you had voted but you hadn't? Just go home? You can't be that stupid can you?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 3 months ago

Evidence schmevidence. We don't need no stinking evidence. We've got mindless ideology.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

A drivers license or a state ID will do all of which are available through the drivers license headquarters as we speak. Medicare card should also suffice.

Otherwise I see nothing wrong with an ID check if in doubt.

ignati5 4 years, 3 months ago

Saying that Kansas has the most stringent law against voter fraud is like saying that Wyoming has the most liberal civil rights protection for African Americans. Where the issue does not exist, one can afford to be magnanimous. BG

repaste 4 years, 3 months ago

Absentee ballot. 1/3 of all cast? Could be anyone.

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 3 months ago

Right now, there are 1 or 2 cases of voter "fraud" in Kansas every two years.

After voter ID is required, there will be 1 or 2 cases of voter "fraud" in Kansas every two years.

So for the honor of putting this impediment in place, what will be gained?

usnsnp 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't know about other people, but if I went to vote and the people at the polling place said that I had already voted and I had not I am sure that this would have been reported and investigated. Also how about a person that is in the military or civilian working overseas how are they going to prove who they are to the state. What about a naturalized citizen, no pasport, no birth certificate is his naturalization papers going to be enough documation to allow him to register for the first time.

jhawkinsf 4 years, 3 months ago

Evidence, all I know is that it's my intention to vote early and vote often.

Jan Rolls 4 years, 3 months ago

This bill is just a way to keep democrats from doing outreach to register more voters. Who carries around their birth certificate when they go to the grocery store? Again maybe it was voter fraud that got these nuts elected.

Abdu Omar 4 years, 3 months ago

What we must do to stop this bill is let your representative know that we Kansans don't want it. Call them today!!!!!

Jan Rolls 4 years, 3 months ago

I would but these clowns don't represent me or any right thinking person. It would only work if I could imitate one of the Koch brothers.