Letters to the Editor

Palin smear

February 19, 2011

To the editor:

I understand from a recent news article that former U.S. Department of Agriculture employee Shirley Sherrod has filed a lawsuit against conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart over a video Breitbart released in July of last year. Sherrod’s lawsuit claims that the clip “damaged her reputation and prevented her from continuing her work.”

I don’t have a problem with this at all, as I feel after the facts came out that Breitbart edited an old video of Sherrod to purposely deceive and whip his conservative followers into a frenzy.

I’m assuming then that Sarah Palin has hundreds if not thousands of possible lawsuits due to the disgusting and hysterical smear campaign launched against her by the far-left after Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head by the lunatic Jared Loughner. Loughner killed 6, including a U.S. district court judge and wounded 14 others.

The far-left immediately pointed the finger mainly at Sarah Palin, her rhetoric and website (showing crosshairs on a map of U.S. districts Republicans needed to win in the 2010 mid-term election in order to recapture the majority in the U.S. House of Representatives) for causing this deranged man to commit this horrible act. Facts? They didn’t really matter when it came to Palin as far as the far-left was concerned.

Comments

Bob Forer 3 years, 10 months ago

The attack against Palin, whom I am hardly a fan of, consisted of intemperate and ill-advised comments. An opinion with little basis in fact is probably protected by the First Amendment. However, deliberately doctoring and releasing a video is of a much different quality. Not a very persuasive analogy, Tom.

parrothead8 3 years, 10 months ago

Exactly. Funny how Tom has no problem with Sherrod's lawsuit because, as he says, the video of her was "edited...to purposely deceive," but then he conveniently forgets to point out that none of the videos or comments discussing Palin, her rhetoric, or her website were edited in the least bit. In fact, there's no need to edit anything Sarah Palin says.

Sarah Palin, unedited and uncensored, is damaging her own reputation just fine.

pace 3 years, 10 months ago

While I am no fan of Palin, and certainly no fan of Toms. I do remember the people in Alaska made accusations about her possibly being charged for embezzlement (something about her time as mayor). It was a stir up when she suddenly resigned the governorship. She was never indicted. That was possibly close to libel since no indictments. When she was governor she was accused of many things but the only thing I ever heard proved was she padded some of her state expense accounts, putting her kids travel, collecting a per diem for nights in her own home etc. I would say it is possible that some have attacked her unfairly. A lot of people in Alaska seem to hate her. The police in Alaska have harsh things to say about her but those complaints were dropped when she quit mid term. I find her inaccurate and she panders to the lies, She gets off on implying things about Obama while she obviously knows Obama is a citizen, born in Hawaii and she probably knows Hawaii is a state.

pace 3 years, 10 months ago

She is a fast back peddler. Yes she was murdered when she allowed herself to just be interviewed by the press. She is probably best in very protected media environment. When I first saw her she was running for governor. My impression was what a pretty woman with a fast mouth, often seemed to talk before she thought. She certainly puts a pretty face on the Koch brothers conservative crusade. I find her grotesque.

Bob Forer 3 years, 10 months ago

If I recall, Tom, your wife isn't too bad looking for her age. If she is like some women, she might not appreciate reading the last part of your post. Just thinking loud. No biggie.

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

@Tom..."especially for 47 years old"? Just what do you expect a 47 year old or 57 year old or 67 year old to look like these days? Do you think we're all decrepit...about to kick the bucket? Not attractive? Perhaps not all of us can be "hotter than Georgia asphalt", but, in general, I think a lot of us old-timers are lookin' pretty hot!!! Furthermore, I believe most of us old-timers care to look "hot" for only one special person...not for you, and not to be ogled as if we're on sale by the hour. As I said, one special person is all I would want look "hot" for...it doesn't matter to me what anyone else may think.

I would have to "adjust" thuja's remark to: SOME of you old pervs are hilarious...I don't believe all men think as you do, Tom...I believe there are some (and they may be few and far between) who appreciate not only the outer manifestations of a lovely woman, but the inner beauty that my grandmother and my mother taught me about. I'm thankful for those men!! To my mind, in these days of silicone body parts, plastic surgery to change any and every part of one's face and body, those few men have my respect. And my grandmother and mother (who both happened to be breath-takingly beautiful on the outside and the inside) were very smart women to teach their very young daughters and granddaughters the container holds what is truly valuable.

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank you, ophiuchus.

Same here...except change "chick" to "gentleman"...we may have a very long wait. :~) I've found that souls these days are hardly ever intact... If he's intelligent, has a great sense of humor...wow! (Musically talented is always a plus!) I'm not asking too much, do you think?
s-m-i-l-e

Meanwhile, I nurture myself with all my many interests, plus family and friends...it's a wonderful life, don't you think, ophiuchus?

sr80 3 years, 10 months ago

FS : mirror, mirror on the wall,who is the fairest of them all ??? MIRROR: when florida sunshine is on a roll,every man in kansas must pay the toll !!!!!

geekin_topekan 3 years, 10 months ago

This is why Muslim women wear that thing around their heads. They reserve their beauty for the man whose eyes are worthy, and to hide from old pervs ^^, who belittle and condemn women.

cowboy 3 years, 10 months ago

Palin displays her hickbilly mentality on a daily basis. How low class do you have to be to attack a first lady ? I have no sympathy for this money grubbing attention addict. How can anyone be taken seriously when they flat quit a major elected office. She is a master of the thrown barb but refuses to participate in any press scrutiny outside of faux news. Pathetic.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

Interesting that the GOP hates her as much as the left does now. Different reasons but just as much.

rtwngr 3 years, 10 months ago

Can the righteous indignation. Nobody showed Sarah Palin or her family any sympathy in the media. Michele Obama can take it.

BigPrune 3 years, 10 months ago

thusspokezarathustra 3 years, 10 months ago

BigPrune 3 years, 10 months ago

I've always been told that I'm actually very sweet.

pace 3 years, 10 months ago

You should be careful in such situations and always wear protection.

JayCat_67 3 years, 10 months ago

And he helps keep you nice and regular.

cowboy 3 years, 10 months ago

She did one interview and blew up. Priceless !

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

Opinions don't count - ie, I believe Palin/Obama/etc. is the anti-Christ.

Breitbart's editing of the video in such a way as to deliberately create a false impression meets the criteria (in my view) of a knowingly false statement.

We'll see what the courts say.

svenway_park 3 years, 10 months ago

jafs, these are concepts not easily comprehended by the two-bit Glenn Beck imitator from Linwood.

scott3460 3 years, 10 months ago

It also led to her loss of employment, did it not?

Mrs. Palin, of course, quit her job in Alaska to become a paid Faux "News" propagandist and gadfly on the internets.

jafs 3 years, 10 months ago

Although she was offered the chance to get her job back, and declined.

Gene Wallace 3 years, 10 months ago

Sarah Palin resigned her position as Alaska's governor due to the overwhelming number of frivolous lawsuits being filed against her. She was having to spend too much time defending herself and not enough time doing her job. She left office for the good of Alaska, not for fame or fortune. I'm not a Palin supporter, her Christian Rights views and support of wolf hunting turn me off to her. But, she does not deserve the hate poured out upon her by Liberal Progressives and the Media.

mom_of_three 3 years, 10 months ago

Progressive media and ordinary folks like myself have figured out how fake and dumb she is. Just waiting for the rest of you to catch up.

Bob Forer 3 years, 10 months ago

"The legal requirement for defamation suits is that the statements are knowingly false and that they injure someone's reputation."

For a public figure, the test is even tougher to meet. Think it requires both malice, and either a deliberate falsehood or reckless disregard for the truth.

thusspokezarathustra 3 years, 10 months ago

Tom, Breitbart edited video to make it appear Sherrod was saying the opposite of what she was actually saying. What did the far left edit of Sarah Palin's website to change her intended meaning? There is a very clear difference between interpretation and " publication with knowledge of falsehood or in “reckless disregard” of a statement's veracity." (which is the legal definition of Malice that must be reached in a libel case).

By the way did you see how Palin fared in the CPAC straw poll? She dropped from 7% & a third place finish in 2010 to 3% and 9th place this year. Seems as if it's not just the far left who is tired of her lack of accountability and self martyrdom.

ignati5 3 years, 10 months ago

I find myself agreeing with Mr. Shewmon that Sarah. Palin has been overly abused by liberal media, though hardly more so than by rival GOP fundraisers like Carl Rove and Steven Schultz. He may misunderstand, however, that by according interminable hours of press coverage to her antics, they are doing her a favor. For it has been apparent for some time that Palin’s agenda has to do with self-promotion in a manner that will give the lie to Andy Warhol’s dictum, rather than gaining public office per se. In creating celebrity from common clay, and enhancing it through extensive free press coverage , she more resembles former Hollywood actress Zsa Zsa Gabor than any other woman of dubious distinction. Who, after all, would begrudge a housewife of no great means skyrocketing to fame and fortune through speaking appearances, tv reality shows, interviews, book sales, and the like. She now seems prepared to pass the baton to Michelle Bachmann as poster-girl for the liberal perception of the idiot right's distaff side. It is still too early to gauge the future trajectory of Palin’s career, but she is clearly a woman of formidable talents. My guess is that, twenty years hence, she will be numbered, with Oprah and Dolly Parton, as an entrepreneurial woman who carved a personal empire of money and media out of a casual brush with celebrity.

svenway_park 3 years, 10 months ago

Actually, Bachmann handed Palin the baton previously, but now is getting it back after Sarah took her laps around the track.

Don't underestimate the power of Palin's "freedom of speech." Especially at $50,000 per appearance. Your daughter can cash in too, if she has a child out of wedlock. Because we are all about protecting the family, you know.

overthemoon 3 years, 10 months ago

Reporting on what a public figure says is not 'attacking'. Palin says outrageously dumb stuff that betrays her lack of education, understanding of history and current events. and she says it all in nearly unintelligible run-on-sentence babbling. That the press and public respond is not attacking, its just pointing out the truth. Palin can't handle the truth, which is simply that she is playing in a league in which she has no business.

I don't begrudge her the little march to fame and fortune. But we need not tolerate her aspirations to political power just because she's 'hot' or because she's got a twitter account.

ignati5 3 years, 10 months ago

Why not? Bush 43 was elected on this basis (twitter account no, bank account yes). We have had presidents as ignrorant of history and political issues when they came into office (Grant, Harding, B. Harrison, for example) as Palin. BG

monkeyhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

'The far-left immediately pointed the finger mainly at Sarah Palin, her rhetoric and website (showing crosshairs on a map of U.S. districts Republicans needed to win in the 2010 mid-term election in order to recapture the majority in the U.S. House of Representatives) for causing this deranged man to commit this horrible act."

But Tom, look how much civility it has brought about. I'm sure we will witness it in full glory today when the T Party parades in Wi.

thusspokezarathustra 3 years, 10 months ago

Of course it's not unreasonable to think, in light of Rep. Giffords being shot, that in hindsight gunsights were probably a bad idea.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 10 months ago

I assume Tom has offered his legal advice to Ms. Palin and not simply whined about it in the local paper.

It's hard to figure what the point here is -- that Ms. Palin should be filing legal action, or that Ms. Sherrod should not.

Surely Tom isn't saying that Ms. Sherrod does not have the right to avail herself of our country's legal system.

So he must be saying Ms. Palin should do the same. I would suggest he write to Ms. Palin about that, as I'm fairly certain she doesn't read the Lawrence Journal-World.

ebyrdstarr 3 years, 10 months ago

But don't you remember, Bob, what Sarah told Katie Couric about which newspapers she reads? She reads all of 'em!

overthemoon 3 years, 10 months ago

But only the gossip columns and the funny page.

TikiLee 3 years, 10 months ago

I believe the word "photoshop" in the link is evidence that the photo is indeed, "shopped."

At least, I hope so.

ignati5 3 years, 10 months ago

Look at it this way. The Vice-Presidential nomination has always been the graveyard of ambition for all who acheived the office, less than that for the VP candidates of losing tickets (FDR being the notable exception). From the moment her selection was announced, however, Palin sucked the air out of the room, relegating poor old McCain to the status of Walter Brennan in the presence of Gidget Goes Hawaiian! As one of my high school teachers used to say, "Don't criticize success."

overthemoon 3 years, 10 months ago

A string of bumper sticker worthy one-liners is a "good speech"? She was pure snark and no substance wrapped up in a pretty package.

BruceWayne 3 years, 10 months ago

my wife gets a Palin Smear every year at her physical.

jimmyjms 3 years, 10 months ago

Poor Lil Tommy, things were slow in Linwood and he sent this missive off without thinking too hard about it.

Breitbart edited his video about Sherrod to make it appear as if she said something she did not. She lost her job over it.

No one - no one - blamed Palin for the Giffords shooting. A lot of people pointed out that her "you betcha we shoot democrats" style was in poor taste. People also pointed out that this rhetoric came mostly (though not exclusively) from the right.

To recap, Tom, since it's obvious you need a recap: Deliberate falsehoods caused Ms. Sherrod to lose her job. Factual statements led to Palin facing mild criticism over her poster. She did not lose her job, as she had already quit it.

If your little paradigm held up, your most hated political figure President Obama would have actionable claims against a great many, including Sister Sarah.

Bob Forer 3 years, 10 months ago

Palin's political career vaporized the moment she left office in mid-term. She's has kept herself in the spot light for one reason--to make a make a buck--a point that should be well taken after she recently turned down a offer to speak at a very visible national conservative convention (there was no honorarium involved). When is the right going to realize that she is playing you guys for the fool?

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

You have a tune ready for every occasion, do you not? It's just so...cute!! Makes me smile...

overthemoon 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm thinking she avoided CPAC not only because she wouldn't get paid, but also because she would not be able to control the crowd and prevent media coverage. Those pesky reporters always tell what she says, you know?

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 10 months ago

Palin's opponents need not exaggerate her ridiculousness. She does a great job of illustrating it all by her self.

Eileen Jones 3 years, 10 months ago

I could not respond to this letter better than by posting this article by Hendrick Hertzberg in The New Yorker, published shortly after the shooting. http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2011/01/24/110124taco_talk_hertzberg

From that article:

“The truth,” President Obama said, four days after the shootings, “is that none of us can know exactly what triggered this vicious attack. None of us can know with any certainty what might have stopped those shots from being fired, or what thoughts lurked in the inner recesses of a violent man’s mind.”

That is indeed the truth. But it is also the truth that, when the news broke of the Tucson shootings, no one’s first thought was that some unhinged leftist was responsible. From the outset, commentators of all persuasions assumed something like the opposite—assumed it openly if their instant impulse was accusatory, implicitly if it was defensive. And no wonder. Representative Gabrielle Giffords (who, miraculously, survived) is a Democrat. Last March, after she voted for the health-care law, someone shattered the plate-glass door of her Tucson office. Her Republican opponent in the November election, whose campaign poster showed him cradling an assault rifle, held a gun-themed fund-raiser. (“Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office. Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly.”) Giffords herself expressed concern about the political use of violent imagery. “For example, we’re on Sarah Palin’s targeted list,” she told an interviewer. “But the thing is that the way that she has it depicted has the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district. When people do that, they’ve got to realize there’s consequences to that action.”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2011/01/24/110124taco_talk_hertzberg#ixzz1EQFK6NNG

jimmyjms 3 years, 10 months ago

Only Tom Shewmon could manage to lie in the first two words of a letter.

Jimo 3 years, 10 months ago

Why is it that you can immediately tell a speaker is a wacko nut-job by the frequent use of "far-left" to describe anyone to the left of Attila the Hun?

Scott Morgan 3 years, 10 months ago

Again, millions and millions of us citizens are wrong according to her haters. Millions like her and the refreshing way she communicates. Close if not a majority like her. I do too, and don't need notes to remind myself what she stands for.

(if you think she talks funny most certainly stay away from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan)

Do I want Sarah giving me the State of the Nation speech. No.

Compare her stand on issues to Biden for instance. What is Joe's position on the Middle East? Exactly, you don't really know.

Isn't this what we all want. Clear concise government stances. Especially in these times.

Of course Palin is taking advantage of the fair wind and making money. I'd be chuckling if Palin regarding my daughter making a living due to my fame. I hear little about the millions the Obama's are amassing.

This wealth garnered ship sailed many moons ago for me personally. Very reluctantly now I accept public employees becoming wealthy. In fact you have to tip o hat to the Clinton's.

Bet when these folks meet Saint Peter/Akbar/El Festavi /Zeus, Harry Truman will have more than a few words for those who let dollars come before the welfare of our nation.

If Fox is paying her 50K, she is taking a pay cut now. Palin is still hot property. Maybe not for long, but still in demand.

On our gotcha press coverage, let's take Couric for example. My bet is she wishes the sneak attack on Palin never happened. Great on MSNBC, not on CBS News.

Couric has been in a ratings nose dive ever since. It wasn't the fact Palin didn't do well, but the high schoolish glee in which the incident was reported after which bothered me. A Dan Rather feeling after realizing he was openly a democrat.

beatrice 3 years, 10 months ago

This letter is an absolute fabrication of the truth. People did NOT blame Palin for the shooting and murders of others, but they did use it as a case in point of over the top political rhetoric.

As a side not -- I'm not sure why, but this letter reminds me of the things the removed and banned poster "right_thinker" used to write. I'm not saying this is the case here, but wouldn't it be a shocker if the LJWorld ran a letter for all of its subscribers and all others to read by someone who they had earlier deemed unworthy of even posting comments on their website?

Good thing they would never, ever do something like that intentionally.

shotgun 3 years, 10 months ago

Sarah, Sarah, Liar, Liar, she's got Tommy's pants on fire!

As I stated months ago, if you think Sarah is hot Tom, you need to get to town more often!

I can't understand why this fine conservative, all american, family values mother is not at home attending to her children Tom! I guess it's because she is nothing more than a media whore!

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

This from a known misogynist (it doesn't just apply to men dearie).

tomatogrower 3 years, 10 months ago

Tom only wrote this letter, because Palin hasn't had enough press lately. He is just trying to help the poor gal out.

Kookamooka 3 years, 10 months ago

Tom Shewmon has the hots for Sarah Palin and this isn't the first, and isn't the last, letter to the editor we will see from him defending her. His public attraction to her makes his defense ridiculous. It's kind of weird. I'm betting he has some sort of perverse shrine to her in his bedroom. Yuck.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 10 months ago

It is not libel and slander if it is true.

She is really that stupid.

m3rryweather 3 years, 10 months ago

You don't even begin to KNOW anything that is the TRUTH. You blinkdly baaaaa along like the little sheep you are without a thought that WOW, you are not a mind reader. I am FINE with my soul. I have not been stalking and harassing a disabled mother of an autistic child for the last 3 years. I have worked on becoming a kinder and nicer person , while you folks have gone and rolled in the evil.What a proud life achievement. You cannot even think for yourself. Or actually talk to me like you have a soul....

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 10 months ago

Question unanswered -- what is preventing Sarah Palin from suing?

Still don't get the point of this letter.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 10 months ago

OK, so she shouldn't sue? Because it looks as if the point of the letter is she should sue.

The point clearly is not that Ms. Sherrod is wrong to sue, as the letter writer indicates "I don't have a problem with this at all."

That seems to contradict "Liberals have a different way of looking at things."

Rather odd to write a letter to the local paper about how Sarah Palin should sue, except that she shouldn't.

overthemoon 3 years, 10 months ago

Hence the constant running in circles. Thanks for making it all clear!!

grammaddy 3 years, 10 months ago

That and the fact that her lawsuit wouldn't have an ice cube's chance in...

m3rryweather 3 years, 10 months ago

no there is not a freak. FUNNY, Tom thinks he ISN'T a bully or a name caller? very odd. We have had a housemate sharing our 2 flat for 12 years. thanks. and I have been supporting us since my pittance of disability hardly covers all the bills. But you would rather sit here and make up your little fairy tales rather than TALK TO ME as if you were civilized and had compassion in your shriveled little soul.

mom_of_three 3 years, 10 months ago

and conservative republicans dont? Come on. Repubs are as hateful as dems, conservative vs. liberal. Stop the self righteousness and just admit one side is as bad as the other.
But I will say it - I can not stand Palin or Bau-whats her name? People look at them for their beauty and dont pay attention to what is coming out of their mouths, which is utter nonsense.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Why thuja, I had no idea I affected you this way! "Old Perv"? Ha! For the record, Mrs Roe knows I make the "HOT" comments and just rolls her eyes. She's aware it's a joke between myself and a couple of other posters. You keep on believing what you want to believe though. This old pervert needs the laughs.

grammaddy 3 years, 10 months ago

And Tom's posts are always good for a couple of those!

Bob Forer 3 years, 10 months ago

According to the L.A. Times, Palin reportedly tasked her oldest daughter, Bristol, with taking to Google to mine a little data on the economy in preparation for her appearance Thursday in Long Island, New York.

Whats more laughable? The above, or Jimmy Carter during a 1980 debate with Ronald Reagan, when he said he had asked his 13 year old daughter, Amy, what the most important issue in that election was and she said, "the control of nuclear arms"?

mom_of_three 3 years, 10 months ago

and don't forget all the digs Palin has for Mrs. Obama's healthy eating initiative.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 10 months ago

What do you call a group of bureaucrats who make the decision on whether a person receives life sustaining medication or not?

A Travel Agency?

grimpeur 3 years, 10 months ago

Good grief. It's one self-parody after another up in here.

Next.

Mike Ford 3 years, 10 months ago

you know tom, I'm waiting for the next global warming induced rainstorm of epic proportions to finish the job of washing Linwood away. I remember one about five years ago that took alot of the eastern part of Linwood away. You live near Stranger Creek right? the place was a lot smarter when it was called Journeycake and it was Delaware Indian land. It is tragic how the loudest and dumbest part of our populace has hijacked the conversation and ran it right into the ditch of stupidity. Does having a Black president really scare crazy dumb people towards this direction? it sure looks like it. And before you comment back you better consult the Glen Beck chalkboard rulebook, deny what you said, flip the conversation over and call me hateful like you and every other delusional conservative has done before. You're not very original tom and neither is Sarah "Show Me the Money" Palin.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 10 months ago

Can't comment on Tom, but stating Sarah Palin is not original is absolutely wrong.

I like her just simply because the reactions she gets from those of the leftus persuasion.

pace 3 years, 10 months ago

This has been such a guilty pleasure.

shotgun 3 years, 10 months ago

Tom, if you checked other news outlets, you would know that the writer who was renting a house next to the Palin's moved out months ago.

m3rryweather 3 years, 10 months ago

You folks surely have NO clue, lead by a sadistic liar you just cannot seem to consider that you could learn to think for yourself and stop acting like a pack of high school jackals. Give the stalking, the harrament and story telling a rest would you. after 3 years. you would think at least some of you would have actually got a life for yourself or some counseling for your obsessions.

Why is making me still pay for things i did wrong well over 3 years ago such a life project for you people? I have apologised, I have worked on bettering myself and becoming a kinder person. But I am not going to lick anyone's shoes. I have a right to my life, my opinions and to state them. Either actually talk to me about how i feel about things or stop making up assumptions on things you simply cannot even know.

tomatogrower 3 years, 10 months ago

"Ummm, what?"

We may not agree on many things, Tom, but I'm with you on this one. Weird post.

overthemoon 3 years, 10 months ago

This is really not the place for this. I have no idea who you are or what you are talking about, but I'm pretty sure you're not making anything better.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 10 months ago

raised her from the grave? Maybe wrong but wasn't she one of the most popular female governors in the nation before McCain tapped her?

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

That was because she hadn't been in office for even two years yet and hadn't really shown her colors. After "Troopergate" and finding out that she had padded her expense account with her kids and husband (even going so far as to pay herself a per diem while she was at home in Wasilia), a lot of the state soured on her pretty quickly.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 10 months ago

teleprompter oh teleprompter tell me what to say.