City commissioners will consider approving several downtown events related to the Kansas Relays.
The Lawrence Convention and Visitors Bureau is asking City Hall to close off parts of Eighth Street to hold an exhibition shot put event and long jump event.
Plans call for 10 world-class shot putters to participate in a competition from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, April 20. The event would be held in the middle of East Eighth Street in the 100 block. The street would be closed from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. to allow for setup and cleanup.
Then on Thursday, April 21, long jumpers would take center stage for a special event, also from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. But this event will be on the west side of Mass. Street in the 100 block of West Eighth Street. The street will be closed from 11 a.m. Thursday to 6 a.m. Friday.
Also on April 21, a one-mile race will take place downtown, featuring several elite milers who will be at the relays. The race also will be open to the public. The race is expected to take place from 5:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. The race will start near The Bottleneck on New Hampshire, go to East 11th Street, then head to Vermont Street and end near the Lawrence Public Library. Police officers will control traffic in the area during the race.
The Convention and Visitors Bureau is asking for a special permit that will allow alcohol to be consumed in the public rights-of-way during both days of the events.
• Presentation of the BlueChip Healthy Community Award.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 02/08/11 and 02/15/11.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the City Commission meeting.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Set bid date of March 8, 2011 for City Bid No. B1111, Project No. PW1104, 2011 Overlay Program, Phase 1.
b) Award bid for Project No. PW1103, 2011 Microsurfacing Program, to Vance Brothers in the amount of $906,980.57.
c) Approve Annual phone systems support maintenance agreement with Innovative Service Solutions, Inc. for $20,752.
d) Reject the bids for the Comprehensive Rehabilitation projects at 407 Maine Street and 1046 Pennsylvania Street as the bids exceeds the program limit of $25,000.
• Adopt on second and final reading, Ordinance No. 8613, establishing NO PARKING along the north side of 27th Street between Kensington Road and Mayfair Drive.
• Adopt Resolution No. 6919, committing expenditure of Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant funds.
• Approve Special Event Permits, SE-1-2-11, requested for seasonal garden sales at 2300 Louisiana Street from May 27th through June 30th, 2011. (Four administrative permits have been approved for this property for April 1st through May 26th.) Submitted by Kaw Valley Greenhouses, Inc. for 2300 Louisiana Co, LLC, property owner of record.
• Approve Special Event Permits, SE-1-3-11, requested for seasonal garden sales at 3301 Iowa Street from May 27th through June 30th, 2011.
• Approve unanimous recommendations from the Bicycle Advisory Committee regarding riding on sidewalks (BAC Item 5 approved on 9/21/10) and riding abreast (BAC Item 7 approved on 11/16/10); and adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8615, to amend Lawrence City Code Sections 17-702, Riding on Sidewalks and 17-114, Riding Abreast.
• Authorize staff to submit an application to KDOT for the 2013 Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) Set Aside Funds, part of T-Works, for 23rd Street, Iowa to the East City Limits.
• Approve unanimous recommendations from the Traffic Safety Commission for the following:
a) Concur with recommendation from the Traffic Safety Commission to deny request to establish NO PARKING along the east side of Ousdahl Road between 19th Street and 19th Terrace.
b) Concur with recommendation from the Traffic Safety Commission to deny request to establish RESERVED PARKING for persons with disabilities in front of 1130 Emery Road.
• Receive city manager’s report
• Consider approving the following items related to KU Relays events in downtown Lawrence:
a) Approve a Temporary Use of Public Right-of-Way Permit for the closure of the 100 block of E 8th St and the intersection of 8th St and New Hampshire St from 6:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. on 04/20/11; the closure of the 100 block of W 8th St from 11:00 a.m. on 04/21/11 until 6:00 a.m. on 04/22/10; the closure of portions of the 700 blocks of New Hampshire St and Vermont St from 4:00 p.m. – 6:15 p.m. on 04/21/11; the temporary use of portions of New Hampshire St, 11th St, and Vermont St as race routes from approximately 5:30 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. on 04/21/11; and associated parking prohibitions, if appropriate.
b) Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8614, authorizing the possession and consumption of alcoholic liquor on the 100 block of E 8th St and the intersection of 8th St and New Hampshire St from 4:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. on 04/20/11, and on the 100 block of W 8th St from 4:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. on 04/21/11, if appropriate.