Letters to the Editor

Issue of respect

February 15, 2011

To the editor:

After seeing the letter in the Feb. 9 paper about showing respect to the president, I cannot keep quiet any longer. Respect was not shown to my president, George W. Bush, when they stood along by the courthouse carrying signs referring to Bush as a “liar and murderer.” It broke my heart. You know what they say: What goes around comes around.

Comments

Tom Shewmon 7 years ago

Short, sweet, to the point Margaret. Nowhere is it written I have to respect this joke of a president, and I will not. The hatred directed at President George W. Bush, two-term Republican President, was unprecedented. I know the liberal media would like everyone to believe that this is different; that the lack of respect of and/or hatred of Mr. O is due to his skin color, and that is just simply not true. He is a dangerous, dangerous man who is hell-bent on taking us all down the toilet into some warped form of a socialist state. No thank you. I do worry though as I met a conservative pundit who I have followed for years in a swanky piano bar in Honolulu last week--Byron York. He fears Republicans need to cough up a viable ticket PDQ to insure the unseating of Obama---this was said to me after a direct question to him: "Will Obama be re-elected?"

Alyosha 7 years ago

This is pure fantasy: "He is a dangerous, dangerous man who is hell-bent on taking us all down the toilet into some warped form of a socialist state." Do you even know what "socialist" means?

(Look at corporate profits. Look at the stock market. Look at the very normal continued private ownership of corporations. Capitalist America is doing quite fine, thank you very much. Record profits. Record cash on hand. If your fears were true, investors would be cashing out. They aren't. At least try to be coherent in the names you call your President.)

To the letter: Either you respect the office or you don't, no excuses. You respect the presidency regardless of how others behave. Real Americans respect the office, regardless of how others behave. Or are your morals and ethics dependent on how others behave? Since other people murder, does that make murder all right for you to engage in?

You are responsible for your behavior, and if you don't respect the presidency, that's YOUR problem. Don't blame your own bad behavior on how people treated "your" president.

Own up to it. Be an adult.

Peacemaker452 7 years ago

No office deserves respect. Either the person in the office earns respect or they don’t; no excuses.

Elevating the “office” does nothing other than lulling people into excusing poor performance and behavior.

We should never allow ourselves to be afraid to ask if the emperor is naked.

Bill Getz 7 years ago

It is fair to criticize a president for anything connected with his policies, although some will go over the top with it. Calling Bush a "war criminal" fell within the pale, as does calling Obama a "socialist," though neither of these descriptions is accurate. I don't think it's fair to demean the president because of his personal characteristics: Obama's experience abroad as a child, Bush's perceived monumental stupidity. Nixon and Clinton both demeaned the presidency themselves by their behavior, and they may stand as exceptions. As for unseating Obama, yes, you must get a "viable ticket." You have only one candidate who could do it, and he is presently commanding our army in Afganistan. BG

Majestic42 7 years ago

A former president. [insert gasp here]

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

Sadly, with few exceptions, being a former president means being a war criminal. And the current one doesn't look to become an exception, either.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

But at least he got his Nobel Peace Prize first.

Bill Getz 7 years ago

The fact that neither of the Bushes nor Cheney can travel to certain countries because of war crime indictments against them (Spain, for instance) lends credibility to the charge. Carter, possibly, is the only recent president immune from the accusation . I have read that Carter nixed a plan of the military to rescue the hostages with a massive invasion of downtown Tehran, in which they predicted that several thousand civilians would likely be killed. Supposedly, Carter would not considerthe plan for that reason, despite its likely success in liberating the hostages and thereby assuring his reelection.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

Carter certainly wasn't a perfect president, but I would agree that he doesn't deserve a "war criminal" tag.

And he's far and away the best ex-president of all time.

TopJayhawk 7 years ago

The GOP is too stupid to put up a viable candidate. Or maybe they are just lazy. I am a depressed conservative.. The GOP is a sell out just like the donkeys are.

denak 7 years ago

Kindergarten reasoning. Since "my" President wasn't shown respect I'm not going to show respect to the current President.

Wow, that's mature.

notajayhawk 7 years ago

About as mature as saying 'You have to respect Barry because of the office' after 8 years of trashing the former occupant of the same office.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

He's low-life scum. Talking trash on trash is merely calling it like it is.

Majestic42 7 years ago

Extra-classy, bozo. And if we call Obama trash, we're accused of being racists.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

Well, you probably are, but trash away. He probably deserves some of it.

Majestic42 7 years ago

Wow, you know me personally and my beliefs and values? You can get all that through the internet? Here's your card. "J.A.B.O.T.B. Conclusion-jumper extraordinaire."

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

"Respect was not shown to my president, George W. Bush, when they stood along by the courthouse carrying signs referring to Bush as a “liar and murderer.”"

But "your" president is a liar and a murderer. Sadly, the current one you don't want to claim as yours has at least taken on his role as murderer-in-chief, even if he hasn't shown himself to be a pathological liar (yet.)

Dan Edwards 7 years ago

So Margaret, what you're saying essentially (in addition to the dittoheads that replied to you) is that you're no better than the jerkwads who called W a liar and murderer?

Fascinating logic.

I would have much more respect for someone who says "the other side does it, and our side does it, and it's wrong in both instances". Apparently that was too big a leap for you Margaret.

sr80 7 years ago

even though i am not a fan of President Obama, i think he was handed a pig in a poke and has done a good job in trying to make it kissable!!!!!

mom_of_three 7 years ago

I think the liar and murderer signs were carried by Repub and Dem alike, anyone who opposed the war, (and it does appear that the weapons of mass destruction did not exist or can not be found).
But I supported him during his term. Heck, I even voted for him once. (and the 9/11 conspirators are full of bs) but there is a lot of racial hatred toward this president, which is unprecedented. How do I know? I am related to folks who dislike him based on the color of his skin. So I know it exists.

I have always supported the President we have elected. Not all of us are civilized, I guess.

Maxwell Butterfield 7 years ago

This is the most sensible post so far. Thank you.

deec 7 years ago

"What goes around comes around.?" Like how the right treated Clinton?

somedude20 7 years ago

to the man/dinosaur period bout 10,000 years ago

" Avoid crack, unless you can manage it socially."-C Sheen

deec 7 years ago

True enough. The various sides have always exhibited disrespect to each other. But beginning with Clinton's era, we now have the internet to help propel the stridency to appalling levels.

usnsnp 7 years ago

All politicians make mistakes, the problem is that a large number of them do not want to admit it. They go on about having all the answers, and if you do not go along with their thinking they bad mouth you or your family. None of them have all the right answers, no political party has all the right answers. The United States will not get its problems fixed until the people completely ignore the radical left and right. Until then politicians, political parties, and the people will just call each other names, and not get anything done. The people should demand term limits and when a politician finishes his term he or she goes home, there should not be such things as professional politicians.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

"The United States will not get its problems fixed until the people completely ignore the radical left and right."

The radical left has never played much of a factor in this country. So what you're really saying is getting rid of the radical right. But even they have mostly been pawns of the corporate right, who really run things (and Obama is one of them.) And they really couldn't care less about anyone but themselves.

yourworstnightmare 7 years ago

I think that what Ms. Rogers is really saying is that she enjoys the lack of respect shown to Obama. Instead of admitting this about herself, she has to try to rationalize her behavior by the "you did it first" argument.

Why the LJW publishes letters like this is beyond me.

Majestic42 7 years ago

While I don't agree with the OP (you didn't, so I won't is a cheesy and immature sentiment), she raises a good point about the lack of respect W. got. The man was still President of the United States, for pete's sake. Also, I find it interesting that when Obama is criticized in the same ways W. was (saying "Shut the hell up," Hitler mustaches, etc.), the criticizers are automatically assumed to be either stupid, racist, or both.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

"the criticizers are automatically assumed to be either stupid, racist, or both."

But all too often the assumption has a very real basis.

Majestic42 7 years ago

And then my favorite part, the "intellectuals" like bozo saying "well we call them racist because they are." Wow, you must know everyone in the country. Congrats! [shakes head]

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

The whole "birther" movement so well represented here is prima facie evidence that racism is alive and well in this country.

Majestic42 7 years ago

Birthers are widely regarded by the left and the right as idiots and we on the right are ashamed they "associate" themselves with us. They are stupid, maladjusted whiners who have no place in the conservative or political discourse in general. Apples. How do you like yours?

lawrencenerd 7 years ago

Your president is not George W Bush. It is Barrack Obama. If Obama isn't then you aren't United States citizen.

Majestic42 7 years ago

Actually, our current president is Barack Obama. Say hi to the alternate universe for me.

lawrencenerd 7 years ago

You mean the universe where people sometimes make typos? We don't like to interact with people who come from a universe where everything and everyone is perfect all the time. They're too smug.

lawrencenerd 7 years ago

You're not a very good troll if you think being a spelling nazi is enough to anger somebody. If you're gonna be a spelling nazi and then spit out a 4chan meme that is deliberately misspelled you might want to rethink your trolling strategies as well. Also, you are using the meme incorrectly. If you check the ED page that describes this meme, your use of it falls into the same pattern as the "incorrect" section on the page. Here's a short synopsis -

Incorrect - troll: Troll troll troll troll troll! HA! trollee: Meh. troll: U MAD?

Correct - trollee: RAGE!!! troll: U MAD?

I hope this is educational for you. Someday you may grow to be an epic troll instead of a failtroll. Good luck and happy hunting!

lawrencenerd 7 years ago

I'm sure you did. You should go look up "You amuse me" on ED. You really need work on your trolling skills so you don't inadvertently admit defeat again.

In other words, LURK MOAR.

Majestic42 7 years ago

Dude, you need to chill. I merely correctly your spelling, tongue firmly in cheek, and you had a minor conniption fit. I meant no offense, I was just making light of the minor spelling infraction. These are the LJW boards; they don't really matter in real life.

lawrencenerd 7 years ago

You failtrolled, I cannibal trolled, you failtrolled some more, I cannibal trolled some more. All in good fun for me, no conniption fits here.

I'm just trying to help you man, your failtrolling is blatant. We can rebuild you, we have the technology, you can become a real 6 million dollar epic troll! See all your failtroll posts all over this page? Those could have been epic troll posts! Don't you have any ambition? You could actually irritate j.a.b.o.t.b. instead of just calling him fail names and talking about fail apples. I'm just making light of your trolling infractions.

sr80 7 years ago

you make troll go cry!!!! bo!hoo!! hoo!!!

BrianR 7 years ago

I heard about people demonstrating near the courthouse but never actually saw them so I'll take your word on the content of their signage. However, to look to that group as a barometer of how people feel in general is akin to reading the comments in the L J-W and thinking that this is how all of Lawrence feels. It's just not a reliable sampling.

BrianR 7 years ago

I like the Weekly World News. Where else can I keep up with Bat Boy?

jonas_opines 7 years ago

When you justify your own transgressions by those from your opponents, then no one has any incentive to improve.

Majestic42 7 years ago

True, and we can see what that attitude has led to: a disgusting political landscape.

yourworstnightmare 7 years ago

I think the "abuse" Bush suffered is overblown.

Yes, there were protesters saying uncivil things. But name instances when house and senate members did so ("You lie" to Obama) or mainstream journalists did so (such as O'Reilly's interruptions.

Bush got disrespect from protesters. Obama gets it from politicians and journalists.

Majestic42 7 years ago

Keith Olbermann told Bush to "Shut the hell up." Definition of respect.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

That wasn't disrespect-- just good (even though ignored) advice.

Majestic42 7 years ago

I will bet you money that if someone told Obama to "shut the hell up," he'd be yelled at, ridiculed, called a racist, and all sorts of other things. Bozo, you have one of the finest double standards I have ever seen.

sr80 7 years ago

isn't that the definition of a liberal??

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years ago

The fact is that a sizable percentage of Obama's opponents are indeed motivated by racism. And a high percentage of their favorite "pundits," Beck and Rush come to mind, most certainly exploit that sentiment on a daily basis.

Obama shouldn't be immune to criticism, and sometimes I think he would have been better off if he had just kept his trap shut.

But sadly, there really isn't much in the way of critical thinking coming from the tea-party or the Republican demagogues that sucked up to them over the last election cycle.

Majestic42 7 years ago

It is most certainly NOT a fact that most of Obama's opponents are racists. Maybe they just disagree with him. Learn2notjumptoconclusions.

Corey Williams 7 years ago

At least they could possibly have a day job, mooch.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 7 years ago

Ms. Rogers, I believe "they" also say do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Cait McKnelly 7 years ago

This is hilarious. GWB was a proven liar and as far as being a murderer is concerned he's looking at war crimes charges in the International Court. But myohmyohmy we can't diss him if we can't diss Obama. I swear I just lost brain cells and my IQ went down reading this.

Jersey_Girl 7 years ago

W gave me the creeps even before he got into the White House, but I didn't bash him, at least not much; I waited out his term, relatively sure that after 8 years of his "leadership", the country would do what it has done nearly my entire life (I can't say I've researched all the way back to the original George W., the one who would not tell a lie) and put a Dem in the White House. And they did. And the time will come when the country swings the other way and put another Republican in the White House. It's the ebb and flow of politics. Yes, there will always be Republicans bashing the Democratic presidents and Democrats bashing the Republican presidents. But, please, don't try to justify that you do it because the other guys did it. You're doing it because that's who you are and what you do. Take some responsibility for your words and actions.

Christine Anderson 7 years ago

Oh Hell's Bells, Ralph Reed for President!

MyName 7 years ago

Ugh, this is pure Rove: accuse the other "team" of doing exactly what it is your "team" is doing. But the way she made this reply is ridiculous. Are we all 8 years old now? "My President was soo much better than your President."

Bush failed pretty much every endeavor he attempted. He made the country poorer by pretty much any measure and had the worst approval rating since Nixon. If you actually ended up supporting the guy at the end of his term, maybe you deserve a little heartbreak.

More to the point: I think the crazy to sane ratio has gone overboard since Obama was elected. You didn't have all of these nutters making up complete falsehoods about where the President was born, where he goes to church, why he does what he does, and what he wants to accomplish in office. At least people were mad at Bush because of things like the two wars he put us in, or the police state BS that got passed to "fight terror". I haven't come across any of these sign carrying nutters who had legitimate explanations for why they think Obama should be seriously compared to Hitler.

whats_going_on 7 years ago

So, apparently, two wrongs make a right now.

Way to be mature :)