Letters to the Editor

Too nasty

February 9, 2011

To the editor:

It makes me so sad and upset when I read your editorials about our president of the United States of America. I expect your newspaper to endorse a candidate during an election, so I can excuse you for the one you wrote during this last general election.

But your comments after President Obama’s State of the Union speech just hit me to the core. I could not believe you could write such bigoted thoughts about his speech. How in the world could you ever think the way you do? He certainly told the Republicans they had better shape up and play ball. Maybe that is what you did not want to hear.

I have been ready to cancel my subscription as it makes me so upset when such harsh comments are made about our president. He is trying so hard under such awful circumstances, and he really cares about us, even you.

I just have to tell you how I feel about your nastiness and hope you will be less nasty in the future. I would love to be a newspaper publisher and give you some competition!

Comments

Agnostick 3 years, 2 months ago

Through his editorials, Dolph is simply trying to tunnel down to Anne Coulter's level... under the assumption that it will sell more papers.

Ho.

Hum.

Carol Bowen 3 years, 2 months ago

In a previous blog, I mentioned that the president's office and president Bush should be treated with civility and respect. I agree with this LTE.

As for our illustrious editor, I agree with him once in a while. He cares about the community and certainly adds personality. I do wish he would try to be more objective. I would say this editorial is emotional.

We should give each other some space to think and exchange ideas. Boxing ourselves into corners is counterproductive. In my opinion, that's what is wrong with the political scene, right now.

Charles L Bloss Jr 3 years, 2 months ago

Awwwwwww go ahead and cancel your subscription. All the president and fellow democrats care about is bankrupting this country with their liberal schemes. Thus far they are doing quite well by a liberal estimation. We are in debt more than we have ever been, much more. Thank you, Lynn

Richard Heckler 3 years, 2 months ago

Sex Scandal Might Bring Down John Boehner

============================== Banking On Fraud

Still Banking on Fraud | Dollars & Sense

Reforms Fail to address the “control fraud” that caused the financial crisis. By William K. Black

A truly amazing thing has happened in banking. After the worst financial crisis in 75 years sparked the “Great Recession,” we have

* Failed to identify the real causes of the crisis
* Failed to fix the defects that caused the crisis
* Failed to hold the CEOs, professionals, and anti-regulators who caused the crisis accountable—even when they committed fraud
* Bailed out the largest and worst financial firms with massive public funds
* Covered up banking losses and failures—impairing any economic recovery
* Degraded our integrity and made the banking system even more encouraging of fraud
* Refused to follow policies that have proved extremely successful in past crises
* Made the systemically dangerous megabanks even more dangerous
* Made our financial system even more parasitic, harming the real economy

And pronounced this travesty a brilliant success

Where is the FBI and a Grand Jury???

===========================================

The Bush/Cheney Wall Street Bank Fraud on Consumers(millions out of work) Yes, substantial fraud was involved. For example, mortgage companies and banks used deceit to get people to take on mortgages when there was no possibility that the borrowers would be able to meet the payments. Not only was this fraud, but this fraud depended on government authorities(Bush admin) ignoring their regulatory responsibilities." http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2009/0709macewan.html

Only 3 major Financial Institutions were at risk in spite of what we’re told ? "There were just a handful of institutions that were terribly weakened. AIG the insurer, Bank of America and Citigroup, Those three were clearly in very weakened form. Many of the other big banks simply were not. http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10/good_billions_after_bad_one_year

Where is the FBI and a Grand Jury???

Centerville 3 years, 2 months ago

This is one of the funniest letters I've ever read. She has to be kidding.

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 2 months ago

editorial: of or relating to an article stating opinions

Sorry Alice- LJW has every right to publish an editorial (someone's opinion) regardless if it's the same or contrary to your opinion.

petronius 3 years, 2 months ago

"If by a 'Liberal' they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a 'Liberal,' then I'm proud to say I'm a 'Liberal.'" JOHN F. KENNEDY

BlackVelvet 3 years, 2 months ago

and that goes for both sides of the aisle.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 2 months ago

If the LTE writer is a big Obama fan, that is her right. However, to criticize others for not sharing her view is shortsighted. Why is it that some feel a need to attack anyone whose opinions differ from their own? How childish.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 2 months ago

I am also offended by the type of comments made against President Obama not just in a newspaper but on talk shows and in emails broadcast over the internet.

Personally, I think the discussions that go on between liberals and conservatives usually have very little value other than to increase the level of acrimony and lower the chance for a meaningful exchange of ideas or information.

If we define the actual needs and interests of the American people on a more individual and focused level, we might understand the need to develop 21st century solutions that can actually be applied that will improve the overall standard of living in the United States.

As it is, the sand is running out of the hour glass and we are slowly losing our position of leadership in the world.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 2 months ago

Aloha!

Hello Alice (in wonderland) I find it very refreshing when I read an op-ed ripping Mr. O a new one. In a vast ocean of corrupt liberal hacks who could never write one positive word about GWB, it is like a breath of fresh air. The truth needs to told, btw. And honest journalist are telling it like it is.The other ones are not so truthful when they report on conservative figures. Sorry it makes you "sad" and "so upset". Your skin must be about as thin as Mr. O's.

Mahalo

ignati5 3 years, 2 months ago

The letter in question may well be satirical, as one of the previous contributors suggests. I had not thought of this when I read it; it makes sense. If not, the writer may want to reconsider. Mr. Simons is a Republican and he owns the Journal World. He pertains to a long line of GOP editor-publishers in Kansas which includes Ed Howe, Rolla Clymer, and, most notably, William Allen White, though his writing style, while enduringly eccentric, falls short of theirs. To criticize him for attacking a speech by a Democratic president is like faulting a cat for killing a bird. The nature of the breed. When Mr. SImons finally decides to hang it up and let Gannon have the paper, we will miss his independent opinion. The JW will become nothing more than a version of USA Today with a local insert . That is the point at which I will finally cancel my subscription. There is something to be said for going out on the porch every morning, opening the paper, and being pissed off. Gets one's critical juices flowing along with the morning coffee.

Liberty_One 3 years, 2 months ago

wounded_soldier (anonymous) says…

"Looking at the odds Obama inherited, I would say he has done fairly well."

Based on what? He has continued to implement Bush's economic policies of credit expansion and deficit spending. It seems he hasn't done anything at all.

Abdu Omar 3 years, 2 months ago

Looking at the odds Obama inherited, I would say he has done fairly well. We are in two wars, one started by us for no reason, and the market crash was due to some of Bush's cronies getting more than their fair share. It is time to reverse that, I am sure, but as this recession wasn't made over two years, neither can the fix. We need to have confidence in our republic and go forward with the gusto of children. If we don't, we could have elected any one and the results would have been the same.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 2 months ago

The voters in 2010 said for Obama to shape up and play ball, not the Republicans. People want jobs, and it's hard not to blame Obama after two plus years in office.

pace 3 years, 2 months ago

A nice heart felt letter. I commend her.

grigori 3 years, 2 months ago

Don't you see? If it were not for the emotional turbulance laced throughout the state of American journalism in the 21st century, it would eventually cease to exist. Nearly 2/3 of US citizens have access to the internet. With the advent of microblogs like Facebook, anyone can be a journalist, while publishing faster, and oddly with greater accuracy, than 20th century journalism ever could. People buy magazines, watch TV, and read newspapers because they want something to fuel their dwindling emotions, latching onto the thought of another. They desire something to despise, something polarizing in which to take a side, something that shatters the monotony of simple existence.

This video explains it all in far greater eloquence than I could ever muster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9...

LiberalDude 3 years, 2 months ago

Good letter. Someone needs to start a progressive Lawrence newspaper to compete with the LJW. It is too conservative for Lawrence.

SinoHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

"He certainly told the Republicans they had better shape up and play ball. Maybe that is what you did not want to hear."

Well, my irony meter just hit 11. To summarize: Criticizing the GOP = good (Telling the GOP to "shape up and play ball") Criticizing the President = bad (Calling speech "uninspired")

I can't quite tell if this is a serious LTE or a parody, but I fear for our Republic if it is the former.