Archive for Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Funeral to close trio of county departments for several hours on Friday

February 9, 2011

A trio of departments in the Douglas County Courthouse will be closed for several hours on Friday to allow staff members to attend the funeral of a longtime county employee.

Dennis Albers, the county’s director of geographical information systems, died Feb. 2 while shoveling snow at his home in Olathe, according to a county official. He was a 24-year employee of the county, and several of the departments that he worked mostly closely with are closing temporarily because all members of the department wish to attend the funeral in Olathe, said Kay Pesnell, Douglas County Register of Deeds.

“It was just so sudden,” Pesnell said of Albers’ death. “He was fun to work with. He was just a really neat guy to have around.”

The Register of Deeds Office will be closed from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday for the services. The GIS and the appraiser’s office will be closed from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday. All other county departments will remain open.

Albers, 57, performed a number of mapping activities for the county. He also was a founding member of JumpStartSudan, an organization that provided humanitarian relief for the African country. He is survived by, among others, wife, Christine, and sons Mark and Michael.

Pesnell said closing a county department is rare, but is occasionally done for funerals. She said the last time her department closed was about four years ago when a staff member died.

Comments

deec 4 years, 6 months ago

This is nice that they are closing for the funeral, but I though county employees were required to live in Douglas county.

Bob Forer 4 years, 6 months ago

To suggest that a recently deceased may have violated employment residency requirements is, at the very minimum, in poor taste.

nonbeliverofprint 4 years, 6 months ago

It has nothing to do with poor taste. It is a fair question. I'm sure there was no disrespect intended.

Bob Forer 4 years, 6 months ago

There is a time and place for everything. Its known as "decorum," common to all civilized societies.

"De mortuis nil nisi bonum" is a Latin phrase which indicates that it is socially inappropriate to say anything negative about a recently deceased person. Sometimes shortened to nil nisi bonum, the phrase derives from the sentence "de mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est" and is variously translated as "Speak no ill of the dead", "Of the dead, speak no evil", or, strictly literally, "Of the dead, nothing unless good".

It has its origins in ancient Greek culture.

Jewish culture has similar prohibitions. The Talmud indicates that there is no prohibition of speaking lashon hara about the dead, either because the dead do not know what is being said about them or because they do not care what is being said about them. However, because their legacies are at stake, as well as the reputations and well-being of their surviving families, and because they cannot defend themselves, Shulhan Arukh, Orah Hayyim 606:3 cites a takanat kadmonim (ancient enactment) that prohibits “speaking ill of the dead.”

The issue of whether a government employee should reside within the jurisdiction's physical confines is a fair topic for public debate. But not in the comment section of a story regarding a just deceased public employee. WRONG TIME. WRONG PLACE.

'Nuff said.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 6 months ago

That thought crossed my mind, too. I have no idea if it was a requirement or not, but I can remember at one point LPD officers were required to live within the city limits. That was eventually changed. I don't care where county employees live, as long as they do a good job while they're here!

My sympathies to Mr. Albers' family and friends.

ferrislives 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't like to call names, but Soloman, you are an idiot. It's nice for you to make a death into a stupid issue regarding county residency of employees. I've met Dennis, and he was an upstanding guy. I'm sure that he will be missed by many.

No, there is no requirement for county employees to live within the county. I just checked with a friend who works there.

Kevin Sontag 4 years, 6 months ago

Rest in peace, Dennis. You're a good man.

monkeyspunk 4 years, 6 months ago

Damn. I used to work at the county and talked to Dennis often while I worked there.

Very intelligent and nice guy. Rest in peace.

ResQd 4 years, 6 months ago

My condolences to the family. I'm also glad to hear that the county has decided to let the friends of the deceased attend his funeral and temporarily close down the departments.

engagedecoy 4 years, 6 months ago

HEY LJWORLD, THANKS FOR DOING ALL THE WORK AND LISTING WHICH OFFICES ARE CLOSED........You know some people might like to know this info too.

So_tired_of_the_whiners 4 years, 6 months ago

Do you read articles or just comment?

From above.

conservative 4 years, 6 months ago

I know that at least in the past it was a requirement for people in the sheriffs department to be county residents within 6 months of being hired. I'm glad they gave the employees the time to go to the funeral, i am a little surprised that they can't get someone from other departments to keep the offices open.

conservative 4 years, 6 months ago