Letters to the Editor

Insipid proposal

February 2, 2011

To the editor:

Our new secretary of state has decided that combating voter fraud is the most important use of his time. Never mind that elections are an ancillary duty of the office which exists primarily to facilitate corporate filings. Never mind that there are 105 duly elected county clerks who also have authority over elections. Never mind that requiring a voter to present photo ID to poll officials who have known that individual for upwards of 20 years may strike one as insipid. Move ahead.

Mr. Kobach is four or five years older than my son, so he and I may have different world views. As one who lived through the entire Cold War, I was always of the opinion that we were the ones who did not say, “Your papers, please.” That was definitely the message I got from movies, television and ROTC. That was the message I got from my father and three uncles who had their lives interrupted in 1942 to deal with countries who registered and regulated their citizens.

I had always understood that my word was good and that I would do what was my duty. Voting is a sacred right I was willing to bear arms to defend. I still am, but I doubt that I would be a lot of use. If this law that is probably unconstitutional and definitely insipid and unnecessary passes, I will present all the necessary documents in 2014 to challenge Mr. Kobach in the Republican primary — and old men don’t pull punches.

Comments

BigPrune 3 years, 2 months ago

I read Kobach's law was based on an Indiana law that was found consititutional by the Supreme Court, so what's REALLY the beef here people?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 2 months ago

" It's also childish to think Kobach is spending his entire elected time on this matter."

True enough. He has lots of billable hours to rack up in his real job of writing unconstitutional laws and then defending them.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 2 months ago

This is the most puzzling subject I've ever been part of. Mr. Haehl is so upset he's going to run against our secretary of state over voting without I.D.

VOTE I.D. FREE IN KANSAS WE NEVER FORGET A FACE What a campaign sign.

Good grief, can you imagine the perception in other democratic nations? It's also childish to think Kobach is spending his entire elected time on this matter. Childish.

Mr. Haehl, nobody said papers. Just I.D. ROTC and the military frown on (confine to base) service people who forget those. Civilians must show I.D. to get in Ft. Leavenworth nowadays.

but but but that's different

When selling or buying a house, sitting in your living room, at your dining room table, with pictures of wife and kids on the wall, you must show I.D. to the banker.

but but but that's different

What about buying a handgun, or ammo without an I.D.

but but but that's different

When picking up comp tickets for a Chief or Royals game you show I.D.

but but but that's different

Puzzling subject unless you really just hate Kobach. This is really the problem isn't it? Rational thinking has nothing to do with it. Kobach writing legal language to stop illegal immigration just sizzles you doesn't it.

You and others only see what you want, not the harm illegal immigration is doing to our sister border states.

Arizona likes our elected Kansas Secretary of State, sizzle sizzle.

but but but that's different

You as all good citizens should hold your vote precious, your vote. What if you were one of the people who had their ballot canceled by a fraudulent voter?

but but but that's different

How would you feel Mr. Haehl if you took the time educate yourself and then vote only to think somebody voting illegally made your democratic voice silent.

but but but that's different

What if you lived say in a small city with a large conservative college and say the staff in that polling place did not know everybody for 20 years? Would you be for voter I.D. then?

If Republicans supported and paid for a conservative ACORN would you be for I.D. then?

but but but that's different

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 2 months ago

"That was the message I got from my father and three uncles who had their lives interrupted in 1942 to deal with countries who registered and regulated their citizens."

The Nazi references from the left never cease. I'm betting there are more Nazi references from the berzerk left than there was during the entire WWII conflict, all communications combined. If Nazi-ism ever was reborn, it is under the disaster known as:

Obama, Pelosi and Reid.

But Americans, like in the 40's, got wise.

kansanbygrace 3 years, 2 months ago

I have less problem with presuming people honest until they demonstrate dishonesty, exactly comparable to innocent until proven guilty. Let the registration process determine the eligibility of a citizen to vote, as works about 99.77% effectively at the present. There is more fraud in virtually every segment of political function than voter fraud.

Kris Kobach has had this bee in his bonnet for a while now, and I have no confidence in his competence or his fundamental honesty, because of this ridiculous obsession. This non-issue is a waste of time and money in a time when both are running short.

CorkyHundley 3 years, 2 months ago

Mr. Haehl appears to be assuming that all "Americans" are like himself. Honorable. If that was the case though, there would not be a need for a proposal to verify the "identity" of voters.

The constant portrayal of all "Americans" as honorable, is insipid.

bunnyhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I think this is just great! Clearly, MANY recent elections in Kansas have been high-jinxed by the party in power!! It's time the KS GOP is held accountable for the rampant voting irregularities that have permitted their take-over of both houses of our state legislature and the governor's office!!!!

What other POSSIBLE reason could there be expending our tax dollars at this juncture?

I will be very happy when Mr. Kobach runs the rats out of Topeka and restores government in Kansas to friends of the people..........the Democratic candidates whose campaigns have suffered defeat at the hands of these brazen scoundrels!!!!!

billbodiggens 3 years, 2 months ago

Vertigo, you cannot have an intelligent conversation with a fool. The man/lady said he/she was from a "military family" which means he/she has probably never been in the military. What about his "ilk?" Just a thought from an old Navy Petty Officer.

consumer1 3 years, 2 months ago

NO, the insipid proposal is the committee who wants to close elementary schools.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 2 months ago

Darn it! I didn't get to read the 12:14 deletion. Wonder what I was called this time? You guys keep me in stitches. Later, much.

jstthefacts 3 years, 2 months ago

notajayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

"Our new secretary of state has decided that combating voter fraud is the most important use of his time."

That's right - OUR new secretary of state made no secret of the fact that this would be one of his priorities, and he was rather handily elected by the people of Kansas. Deal with it.

"As one who lived through the entire Cold War, I was always of the opinion that we were the ones who did not say, “Your papers, please.”"

As one who isn't much younger than you, I also remember a time when schools didn't have metal detectors on the doors (and neither did other public buildings), when we didn't know whether fatalities from school shootings were up or down from last year (because there weren't any!). I remember when the milkman and the diaper delivery guy had to compete for a parking space at the end of our sidewalk. I remember when a baseball that inadvertently went through a neighbor's window didn't result in a lawsuit. I remember a time when the police might pull over a driver who had one too many and tell them to be careful driving home, and following them to make sure (or driving them home). I remember being able to eat our Halloween candy along the way, since it didn't have to be inspected for foreign objects. I remember when the worst that would happen if someone got a gun on an airplane was you might end up with a slight diversion to the sunny island of Cuba. I remember when we were free to roam outside the carrying distance of my father's summoning whistle, because we knew all the neighbors and they'd relay to us the message that it was time to get home.

Times change. Again, deal with it.

usnsnp 3 years, 2 months ago

I is easy to call names. But there was one comment I found interesting about there being more Republicans in Kansas because they are so hard working. Then there is the comment that all Federal, State, and Local government workers are lazy, overpayed and have too many benifits. It must be that all Federal, State and Local government workers are Democrats. I am not against showing a ID to vote, but there has to be rules that make sure that everybody is able to obtain a ID easily with no major hurdles. There has to be a list of what kind of ID are valid. Here is a example, I am retired military, I have a military ID, I have tried to use it in some places and the people asking to see an ID did not know what I was showing them. Is that going to happen when I go to vote.

Eybea Opiner 3 years, 2 months ago

"I had always understood that my word was good and that I would do what was my duty."

Yes, and I had always understood that I was to obey the laws and do what was right. Unfortunately, there are those among us who have no such understanding. There are those who would stuff a ballott box, run ringers into a voting booth, even cross a border illegally.

As has been pointed out, valid identification is required to get a passport, drivers license, buy liquor, cash a check, get a job, etc. I don't see the problem with requiring ID to vote.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 2 months ago

Why do Dems not want to produce proof of who they are? Obama won't. Willy and Hilly wouldn't. If not for Fox News (#1 news network) and Glen Beck, half of Mr. O's administration would be communists and convicted felons. The other half are far-left zealots who've never ran a business or made a payroll.

MacHeath 3 years, 2 months ago

I am not certain that showing an ID is necessary, however I don't think its too much to ask. Who doesn't have a valid ID these days? You sure as heck can't cash that government check without one ( I am not being facetious, its a plain fact). It seems to me that not having to show an ID demeans the act of voting. Isn't it a big enough deal to have to show an ID? Less important than buying liquor, medication or cigarettes?

grandnanny 3 years, 2 months ago

If there is so much voter fraud in Kansas, why do Republicans keep getting elected? Oops! Maybe there is voter fraud involved.

ophiuchus 3 years, 2 months ago

Wasn't it an insipid proposal which led to Kansas' marriage to this mutt?

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 2 months ago

Goodness sakes! Such civility.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 2 months ago

Why are liberals determined to allow fraudulent voting? Why do liberals despise fair and fraud-free elections? Is it Bush Derangement Syndrome? I guess the 2000 election really messed with some liberal heads. Wow!

scott3460 3 years, 2 months ago

"Never mind that elections are an ancillary duty of the office which exists primarily to facilitate corporate filings."

Hey Gov. I have an idea on where you can cut government waste.

Eliminate the SoS job and let the corporations enforce their own contracts and legal protections. After all, most of us don't own corporations and have no use for the function. Why should I have to pay for government bureaucrats to look after corporate interests?

BloodBot 3 years, 2 months ago

I find Mr. Haehl somewhat misguided or is misunderstanding the situation. Mr. Haehl, thank you for your service to this FREE country. Is it not the philosophy of the government taken into consideration when one is asked for their 'papers'? Are you saying we should stand down in Arizona and wave at Alqueda as they tote brief case nukes across the border? Because we don't want to appear to be like a tolitarian government, wake up dear misguided fellow to the fact, the wars are now coming to our shores.

usnsnp 3 years, 2 months ago

Don't know how much voter fraud there has been in Kansas over the last couple of years, but before a bill to change things is placed before the legislature I would have hard numbers. I would have theis numbers sorted to real voter fraud, intentional voter fraud and mistakes and were the mistakes personnel or administrative. With these hard facts then a law could be placed before the legislature. At the present there are no such facts.

jaywalker 3 years, 2 months ago

Plenty of passion here, but plenty of mistakes as well.
Working on this one issue is "the most important use of his time"? I'm willing to bet that Kobach is working on several issues simultaneously and the writer has no idea how much time he's spending doing anything.
As to the first use of the word "insipid": do you really believe that polling volunteers actually know everyone that walks through those doors? Please. This is not a "your papers please" comparison. This is matching a name with a name like roll call in a classroom, not the Gestapo monitoring movement around a city or thru a train station.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 2 months ago

No doubt that you are an honest man and a patriot Mr. Haehl, but unfortunately some "insipid" folks have co-opted the Democratic Party and nothing---nothing, is beyond them. Kobach is making sure no more voting shenanigans occur on his watch.

And.....

"If this law that is probably unconstitutional and definitely insipid and unnecessary passes, I will present all the necessary documents in 2014 to challenge Mr. Kobach in the Republican primary — and old men don’t pull punches."

Shouldn't it be...."unnecessarily" vs. "unnecessary"?

Rex Russell 3 years, 2 months ago

It's nice to see a letter with a little testicular fortitude, once in a while.

Bushloather1 3 years, 2 months ago

I knew Kobach would be as entertaining as Music Man. Great LTE. I might have to cross party vote.

Liberty_One 3 years, 2 months ago

Very well written and quite passionate. For those who agree with Mr. Haehl that even this de minimus incursion upon the right to vote should not be tolerated, do they feel the same way about other rights like the right to contract and the right to own property? I imagine many, quite hypocritically, would say no.