Letters to the Editor

Missing history

February 1, 2011

To the editor:

It’s 2011 and thus it’s the 150th anniversary of the U.S. Civil War and Kansas statehood. In 2011, we have vehicles with stars in bars plates in areas that were Union 150 years ago. So much for history. We have historians revisiting revisionism for tourism’s sake and ignoring the reasons for the war or outright omitting them to sell to an unknowing and uncaring public. We have local and national politicians completely butchering this history to sell themselves to the unknowing and uncaring public trying in futility to omit the sins of the past that still linger to this day.

We have a new governor who proposed an apology to Native Americans that has as much value as confederate money as a U.S. senator, and yet as governor, it’s business as usual. Just ask the Wyandotte tribe about this behavior. One might want to invite the Shawnee, Delaware, Kickapoo, Osage, Miami, Peoria, one band of Sac and Fox and Iowa each, Ottawa, and Citizen Band Potawatomi tribes back to Kansas for this anniversary. The only problem is, the public usually doesn’t want to hear the stories that are whitewashed out of textbooks and lectures.

Don’t even bother to mention the Wichita, Quapaw, Seneca-Shawnee, Wyandotte, and Creek peoples who fled to Kansas as Civil War refugees. Again, why is anyone celebrating this holiday on stolen lands?

Comments

Fixed_Asset 3 years, 10 months ago

Why is it ok for you to attempt to out an anonymous user? You are pitiful Tom.

geoismeo 3 years, 10 months ago

This guy is a broken record. It must miserable having this much hate and racism.

jaywalker 3 years, 10 months ago

Exactly, Mike! I can't even believe that people have the audacity to live on these "stolen lands", let alone celebrate anything. We canceled my 7 year old nieces' birthday party for the same reason. In fact, all my friends and family are so wracked with guilt and misery we've vowed never to smile, laugh, or be in good nature ever again. I've taken one giant step further.....literally......as I'm reticent to even set foot on the "stolen lands" of Kansas; I broad jump my way around the state so as not to be on the ground as much as possible. No, no, I'm no hero, just acting rationally and with the proper guilt for things I've had no hand in.

Please excuse me now, but I have a full day of mortification of the flesh lined up, a little righteous self-flaggelation over the sins of our great-great-great-great grandfathers. I'm sure you're doing the same.

cato_the_elder 3 years, 10 months ago

Anyone who would write a letter referring to "stars in bars" rather than "stars and bars" has no understanding of American history.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 10 months ago

My people long ago forgave the Romans for mistreatment and abuse suffered under occupation. The Romans treated my people barbarically.

I've demanded personal apologies from Romans. They to a person claim they know nothing more than their ancestors almost certainly didn't participate. Often this was followed by an offer of pasta.

I like pasta. Pasta is better than holding on to bitter beliefs nothing can be done about now. Warm buttery garlic bread too.

Actually on a day like this, whipping up some Marinara sauce maybe in order.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm always amused by the argument that "it's OK for me to be a jerk, because people have always been jerks."

cato_the_elder 3 years, 10 months ago

And an argument with which you must be quite personally familiar, Bozo.

booyalab 3 years, 10 months ago

wissmo traveled back in time to kill and drive out natives from their land? That jerk!

Jimo 3 years, 10 months ago

Indeed, if I can forgive the Huns, the Vikings, the Franks, the Visi-, Ostro- and the (regular) Goths, the Vandals, the English, (but not the Mongols!!!) and on and on and on, I think I can forgive Ma and Pa Ingalls.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

At our next appointment, I will ask Mistress Ilsa to punish me extra hard for the sins of the white devils.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

When Mistress Ilsa puts Devo on the CD player, she whip most nearly anything.

mom_of_three 3 years, 10 months ago

It's a poorly written letter, but I understand the point. It is hard for some to celebrate something when there is a big, dark shadow all over it. Most of the northeastern portion of the state, and probably more, was Indian lands taken over by whites when the Kansas Nebraska act was signed in 1854 and no one cared. Not really.
Then people crowded in to fight over slavery, and ignored the fact it wasn't their land to begin with. But you can say that for major parts of the South and upper Northwest and well, all over the darn place.
for me, that exceptionalism word that is getting bantered about by some is a touchy subject, because it is what allowed all of the above to take place.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 10 months ago

But the lands were stolen, and you wouldn't be on them if they hadn't been.

How you choose to feel about that is strictly up to you.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 10 months ago

so should we all move to somewhere else?

booyalab 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm pretty sure the history of the oppression of native americans has been quite hammered into the head of anyone who has attended public school for the past 50 years, along with slavery, the civil rights movement, and the Glorious New Deal. I was literally taught nothing else in my required American history classes.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 10 months ago

Exactly the point boyalab. We keep on dredging up "certain" pasts as penance so to speak. We never move on.

In some public schools the end product hates ancestral white people, thinks capitalism is wrong..............

By the time they begin to question those concepts the educational process is over.

My Wizzmettes always had qualifiers when speaking of historic figures. Ex. Tommy Jefferson........."oh dad he owned slaves"..........

Peacemaker452 3 years, 10 months ago

I tried to move off of my stolen Indian land but the British had already settled some Protestants on the land they stole from my family.

How far back in history are we required to trace our guilt? Were there any people using the land that is now Kansas before the rightful “owners” that Mike/tuschkahouma advocates moved in?

And what happened to all those prairie cheetahs, cave bears, saber tooth cats and dire wolves? Surly our native friends who were one with mother earth had nothing to do with their demise. Or maybe it was in their best interest to get rid of some of the carnivorous competition; you know, free market and all.

Mike Ford 3 years, 10 months ago

let's see, the surviving Powhattan Confederacy tribes almost boycotted Virginia's 400th anniversary in 2007. Oklahoma tribes spoke out against sooners and the whitewashing of history .Thirty five pointless comments from the usual suspects who showed what little they know and how little they care. Thanks for taking part in my printed experiment and proving me right and H.L Mencken right. WE MUST CHAMPION VOLUME AND IGNORANCE TO RETURN TO THE MEAN EIGHTIES AND BONZO. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Mike Ford 3 years, 10 months ago

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

And yet you still use the English language of your oppressors, tushy. You're selling out to the man.

Mike Ford 3 years, 10 months ago

shukha anumpa haklo li. anumpa okpulo haklo li. chahta imanumpa ish anumpuli hinla ho nahollo?. chahta iskatini anumpuli li. I'm sure you understand right? it was used as a code language in world war one. Spreichen sie deutch? parlais vous francais? you're a smart american, you know what I'm saying right? oh by the way, one of my professors complemented me on the letter.

Mike Ford 3 years, 10 months ago

I know how natives in meso and south america are treated. they're exploited. why do you think KU created a global indigenous studies program? they added the global part and made the program more anthro and archae centric because the indigenous peoples in the US and Canada won't tolerate the invasion and subjugation of their cultures for the sake of american centric academia. the people down there can do very little to stop cultural theft and appropriation by foreign academics. Recently, I witnessed the stonewalling by the gop involving the Cobell settlement. the amount arrived at while higher than the gop under bush was a lot less than the amount actually owed. nagpra didn't stop the archaeological dna harvesting of the Kennewick man. nagpra will not stop the slt people from desecrating remains in the way of a needless road. many treaties have been signed by this country and tribes and none of them have been fully respected. In fact in a post last week I referenced the Lone Wolf V. Hitchcock case of 1903 where the US Supreme Court ruled that congress could abrogate or disregard treaties at will because of plenary power ascribed in the commerce clause of the us constitution. Do you really want to know how much your country values tribal treaties???? really??? I do work for a congressionally terminated tribe here in kansas hoping to get maybe 200 acres of rez land back from the 2400 acres lost to settlers in Leavenworth, KS in 1858 and the 3000 or so acres lost to congressional termination in Franklin County, KS in 1900. You want to lecture me about this countrie's fairness... really???? I love how oblivious people try to flip the script on the people calling them out. That's an O Reilly trick or a Shewmon trick right?

Practicality 3 years, 10 months ago

Some of your info in your letter is off tuschy, many of the tribes you mentioned were relocated here from somewhere else when Kansas was considered Indian Territory before Oklahoma was so sanctioned.

Mike Ford 3 years, 10 months ago

Peorias were here in 1833, Osages here in mid 1600's, Kickapoos were here in 1832, Iowas were here in the late 1700's, Shawnees were here in 1825, Delawares were here in 1829, Citizen Band Potawatomis were here in 1831, Sac and Foxes were here in 1843, Miamis were here in 1846, and the Ottawas were here between 1833 and 1837. Kansas was called Indian Territory because all of these tribes had reservations which many of you either live or travel on. This area was not opened to White settlement prior to 1854 because the eastern side of the state was reservation land and the western area was aboriginal roaming and hunting lands of the Kiowas, Cheyennes, Arapahoes, Comanches, Pawnees, and Apaches. No white people could legally live here except for agents, missionaries, blacksmiths, and teachers. So in essense, your statement is typical of people who get half the picture and run with it.

Practicality 3 years, 10 months ago

It has absolute credibility. Your argument that we invite many of these tribes back to Kansas to celebrate the aniversary is absurd, since you so correctly stated above, are not native to Kansas and most were here less than 20 years.

Which was my point entirely.

Either way, I respect the rights of the Native Americans, and wish success to all. It is better to move on in todays world than to try and argue for America to be given back to the individual tribes, because that will not happen and is just wasting effort on an unrealistic goal.

Mike Ford 3 years, 10 months ago

I have no credibility with comment trolls......awwwwwww....

Mike Ford 3 years, 10 months ago

a time machine isn't needed as many of you sound no different than the people who were involved in supporting the theft of this land in the name of manifest destiny and progress a century and a half ago. They wanted relinquishment of tribal identity that was tied to each tribe's ancestral lands so that it would be easier to steal and they did so and because they did so many of you now wonder why there are names like wakarusa, kanwaka, and shunganunga in this area. The Kaw and Shawnee people responsible for these names are in gone from this area and they are romanticized with mascots.nice.

Mike Ford 3 years, 10 months ago

booyalab 3 years, 10 months ago

"sound no different"- ooh ooh, I think we've finally uncovered what he wants: everyone to agree with him. So it's not about righting the action itself, is that correct? You're on a crusade against modes of thought. Were you also too busy learning about oppression of the natives to understand things like the first amendment?