Archive for Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Closings and cancellations for Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011

February 1, 2011, 12:00 a.m. Updated February 1, 2011, 5:38 p.m.

Send us your photos!

Taking pictures of Tuesday's storm? Send them our way and we'll feature them on LJWorld.com, Facebook and Twitter.

Log in to LJWorld.com with your free user account (or create one here) and start uploading here!

Here is a list of closings and cancellations for Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011:

Government, businesses and organizations

• Anytime Fitness — 5:30 p.m. yoga canceled
  • ATA Prime Martial Arts
  • Berry Plastic closing at 3 p.m. Second and third shifts should not come to work.
  • Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center will be closed Tuesday, Feb 1st. For emergencies call 785-843-9192.
  • Burger Stand at the Casbah — closing at 4 p.m.
  • Capitol Federal branches — closed at 2:30
  • Central National Bank — closing at 4 p.m.
  • Cottonwood, Inc. — closed Tuesday, no community van routes
  • Del Monte Production in Lawrence — no third shift
  • Dignified Doggies — all classes canceled
  • Douglas County Bank — closing at 2 p.m. (all locations)
  • Douglas County CASA
  • Douglas County Courthouse — closing at 11 a.m.
  • Douglas County Dental Clinic
  • Douglas County District Court and all court offices — closed. Individuals with court dates on Tuesday should contact their attorney or, if they do not have an attorney, contact the court division in which they were to appear to schedule a new hearing.
  • Douglas County Law Enforcement Center — open but limited to emergency services only
  • Douglas County Senior Services, Inc., — Senior Wheels Transportation, Senior Meals dining rooms and home-delivery services are canceled.
  • Douglas County Public Works — open for weather-essential employees only, call 331-1330 for public works questions
  • Esquina — Closing at 4 p.m.
  • G-Force Athletics--no classes or team practices
  • Habitat for Humanity and ReStore — closed
  • Haskell Health Center — closed Tuesday
  • Health Care Access Clinic — closed Tuesday
  • Heartland Medical Clinic — closed Tuesday
  • Independence, Inc. will be closed tomorrow, and all rides are canceled.
  • Internal Medicine Group — closing at 1 p.m.
  • Kansas Legal Services offices in both Topeka and Lawrence are closed on Tuesday. Any appointments will be rescheduled on Wednesday.
  • Kansas Legislature — suspended
  • Kansas state offices in Topeka/Shawnee County — closed
  • K-Mart Distribution Center's 2nd and 3rd shift closed
  • Kretyen Fair Trade Gifts and Coffee, Lawrence
  • All KU Credit Union locations — closing at 2 p.m.
  • Lawrence Arts Center — all classes canceled
  • Lawrence Athletic Club — closing at 4:15 p.m.
  • Lawrence City Commission meeting — canceled
  • Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department — closing at noon
  • Lawrence Douglas County Housing Authority offices — closed at 12:30 p.m.
  • Lawrence Gymnastics Academy — closed
  • Lawrence Meals on Wheels — no meal deliveries Tuesday, offices closed
  • Lawrence Parks and Recreation — all classes canceled, all facilities closed
  • Lawrence Public Library — closed
  • OrthoKansas — closing at 5 p.m.
  • Penn House — closed
  • Prairie Park Nature Center — all classes canceled
  • Professional Treatment Services
  • Sears — Closed at 5 p.m.
  • Sunflower Curbside Recycling
  • Trinity Interfaith Food Pantry — closed
  • Yoga Center of Lawrence — 10:15 a.m. and 5:45 p.m. classes canceled, also Katie's 7:30 p.m. class

Events, activities and churches

• All-City Choir Festival — canceled
  • Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center's Mental Health First Aid class — canceled
  • Cornerstone Southern Baptist Church — food pantry and evening activities canceled
  • City of Lawrence study session on Environmental Chapter of Horizon 2020 and the Northeast Sector Plan — canceled
  • Free State debate banquet
  • Heartland Medical Clinic diabetes support group meeting — canceled
  • Homeowners Tree Peril Training course — canceled
  • Langston Hughes Creative Writing Awards reception — rescheduled for Feb. 15 at 7 p.m.
  • Ottawa University's Adventures in Faith and Church Conference for pastors — canceled
  • Plymouth Church — all English and Spanish classes canceled
  • State of Kansas Health Screening Event in the Landon State Office Building (Topeka) — rescheduled for March 24
  • Trinity Lutheran Church — all choirs and events canceled

School districts

• Baldwin, USD 348
  • Basehor-Linwood, USD 458 — Varsity basketball games vs. Tonganoxie have been rescheduled to Saturday, Feb. 5 at Tonganoxie. The varsity girls will play at 4 p.m. and the varsity boys will play at 5:30 p.m.
  • DeSoto, USD 232 — all school activities are also canceled

• Bishop Seabury Academy
  • Brookcreek Learning Center
  • Century School
  • Children's Learning Center
  • Corpus Christi Catholic School
  • Family Church of Lawrence — evening activities canceled
  • Googols of Learning Child Development Center — closing early at 11 a.m.
  • Haskell Indian Nations University
  • Hilltop Child Development Center
  • Kid's Choice Christian Daycare
  • Kansas University — Edwards campus
  • Kansas University — Lawrence campus, only weather essential emergency employees report to work
  • Kansas University Medical Center — all Kansas City campus classes canceled
  • Lawrence Aquahawks — practice canceled
  • Lawrence Arts Center preschool
  • Lawrence Montessori School
  • Montessori Children's House of Lawrence
  • Ottawa University
  • Pinnacle Career Instute has canceled all classes
  • Raintree Montessori School
  • Stepping Stones Child Care Center — Will also be closed Wed. if Lawrence schools close again
  • St. John the Evangelist
  • Sylvan Learning Center — afternoon and evening classes
  • Veritas Christian School

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

Do you have a closing or cancellation to report? Email it to editor@ljworld.com.

Comments

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 5 months ago

Obamarocks would like to be assured that Dunkin Donuts will be open.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 5 months ago

Ahh to have a Dunkin' Donuts in walking distance on a snowy day!

Lee Eldridge 4 years, 5 months ago

Should we start a pool as to what time Lawrence schools will call off school tomorrow? I'm guessing they don't do it officially till 9pm tonight.

b22 4 years, 5 months ago

what a joke, cancelling school should be a worst case scenario, it hasn't even started snowing yet!!!!!

d_prowess 4 years, 5 months ago

This is a contest the LJW should definitely embrace! I will say they make a close announcement for tomorrow at 3:45pm today.

lmn 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm sure obamarocks has already called her kids' school and found out it's already been canceled tomorrow. Because school secretaries know the official word, hours before it's officially called.

MyOpinionCounts 4 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like it's not going to be fit for man nor beast tomorrow. Any chance we can get KU to close??

Lee Eldridge 4 years, 5 months ago

I heard KSU was already closed today. Not that you can believe everything you read on Facebook.

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

It was announced by cjonline this morning (Topeka's Capitol Journal newspaper). You can also look at KSU's website if you want additional confirmation.

justsomewench 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey, what's this Homeowner's Tree Peril training course? With all the old trees around my house, I need to sign up for this!

Caesar_Augustus 4 years, 5 months ago

Ft. Leavenworth, USD 207 is now closed Tuesday.

irvan moore 4 years, 5 months ago

Walley Judge left KSU basketball team, they might as well close the school.

rabbit 4 years, 5 months ago

beatnik you are so right. What a lost for KSU

whats_going_on 4 years, 5 months ago

my work isn't on this list yet...it should be.

Rae Smith Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

I think Lawrence Schools will hold off announcing a close until the very last second tonight. 10 pm EXACTLY.

Grundoon Luna 4 years, 5 months ago

I think it will be a dinner hour call. Say 7:01 pm.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 5 months ago

Ditto with Maria. Oh, and say i won't be coming home. Gonna start a new life.

Nick McCracken 4 years, 5 months ago

Well if USD 497 knows whats good for the students and parents, and everyone in general they will call off school early. Though thats just me and I highly doubt that they will call it off until either 10 P.M. or 6 A.M.

PennyBrite 4 years, 5 months ago

It will be tonight. We've been updated to BLIZZARD which is deadly winds I believe so they won't take a chance with the little kids.......

Nick McCracken 4 years, 5 months ago

Ya I saw that, and I dont think blizzard warning means deadly winds. I think it just means dangerous winds for this kind of weather.

svenway_park 4 years, 5 months ago

A blizzard is defined by NWS as 1) Sustained winds or frequent gusts of 35 mph or greater, AND 2) considerable falling and/or blowing snow reducing visibility frequently to 1/4 mile or less AND 3) for a period of three hours or more

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

The streets remind me of glazed . . . . donuts. The windshield, frosted . . . . donuts! The blowing snow, whipped cream . . . . filled donuts!!! Think I'll wear my "long johns" when I make the bakery run tomorrow . . .

thebigspoon 4 years, 5 months ago

Some pretty greasy comments today. Probably a hole in your logic. But maybe your brain is fried.

Which reminds me of a story: An LJW poster was driving erratically down the street when pulled over. The officer took one look and asked, "Your eyes are pretty red. You been drinking?" The erstwhile poster looked at the officer and replied, "No, but your eyes look a little glazed, You been eating donuts?"

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

All this blizzard talk is making me think of Dairy Queen, which is on the way to Dunkin Dounuts.

mom_of_three 4 years, 5 months ago

I know the KSHS, the state library and other offices are closed. But all of the state employees in Topeka??

mom_of_three 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes it does. All the state offices are closed ; now they will just make all of KU get out and go to work...

GuineaPigs 4 years, 5 months ago

I am hoping that KU will close...but we will see.

persevering_gal 4 years, 5 months ago

I think it will be tonight at 9:30. I've all ready been contacted by two doctor's offices to reschedule my appointments I had for tomorrow and Wednesday.

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

Per NWS latest update at 3pm, Topeka is not in a blizzard warning. I would hope that KU closes tomorrow.

If this goes like the update says it will, the only people who should be on the road by late tomorrow evening are emergency personnel and snow plows.

hawkfan24 4 years, 5 months ago

The trashmen will still be there, we work even when the post office does not!

IronChefKS 4 years, 5 months ago

Gotta say, hawkfan24, that you are speaking the truth. The Lawrence trash guys always git er done, and that is one of the MANY reasons that I really respect you guys and your profession.

Sue McDaniel 4 years, 5 months ago

State offices in Topeka already closed!!! WOW that is a new one!

twoton 4 years, 5 months ago

We are all safer when they are not in their offices.

Sue McDaniel 4 years, 5 months ago

State offices in Topeka already closed!!! WOW that is a new one!

swksgirl 4 years, 5 months ago

I know!!! Makes me wonder if they will close the state offices here in KCK as well as the UG offices. I really don't want to have to drive in a foot of snow to sit there and do nothing, while everyone else who has time off is safe and warm at home. I have done that the last two times. Unfortunately as a new employee I have little time to take off and don't feel that I should have to risk my life getting to work, just to say I was there. If I do have to go in at least I can get my homework done and maybe a few word searches, since there will be nothing to do!!!!

SofaKing 4 years, 5 months ago

What time does Julie Boyle go to bed, anyone know?

Beth Bird 4 years, 5 months ago

Last minute is what my daughter's school did today - we were already there. They called school off a 7:39 AM this morning. I was less than pleased.

yellowdot99 4 years, 5 months ago

what channel 5 at 6 at school bus hit ice and rolled over taking kids home this afternoon in Lee's Summit. Just what we want to happen here tomorrow.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 5 months ago

Make that Blueberry Crunch 'N Munch, sir.

justmytwocents 4 years, 5 months ago

I was snowed in as a little kid and saw my dad walk two miles to the store, pulling a laundry basket with a rope, along with the neighbors, after 2 days of no cars moving. So yes, I go to the store before a possible storm, because once it snows, you may not go anywhere.

gorilla10 4 years, 5 months ago

you must be pretty old but I couldn't see anybody getting stuck at home for more than two days if worst. They get the road taken care of pretty quickly these days.........My, times have changed.........

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

I think the Douglas County District Court has only closed due to inclement weather one other time in the past twenty to twenty-five years. That indicates some other businesses will be closing as well.

mrjcg2 4 years, 5 months ago

They closed in December 2007 the day before a big ice storm was foredcast - it just rained, but it was a nice day off...

SnakeFist 4 years, 5 months ago

My prediction is that KU and WU, in a fit of academic machismo, will hold classes in the morning and then close just as the worst snow begins, thereby forcing students and employees to drive home in a blizzard.

IronChefKS 4 years, 5 months ago

I vote that you are absolutely right, SnakeFist. KU likes to let employees worry all night about travel and childcare before they bequeath the two hour late start. Tomorrow, KU employees will get up, rearrange family schedules, drive to work on tolerable roads to dangerous parking lots and sidewalks, make a cup of coffee, then be sent home. It's a Great KU Tradition.

obamasocks 4 years, 5 months ago

I love that they haven't cancelled yet. It means they are going to wait till six o'clock in the morning to see if the National weather service, cnn, all the major network meteorologists, etc., are ALL mistaken about the blizzard. I mean, come on we are in a blizzard WARNING tomorrow. Would they hold school in a Tornado Warning, or Hurricane warning? We all know they are going to cancel, so just do it already.

Be sure to shovel your sidewalks.

alm77 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm fine with them waiting to call it until my kids are in bed. ;)

grammaddy 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree! Otherwise I'd never get them in bed.

obamasocks 4 years, 5 months ago

Be sure to shovel your sidewalks.

Uhjh 4 years, 5 months ago

Uhjh 4 years, 5 months ago

Jamminalive 4 years, 5 months ago

Why do they delete messages that nobody should pay attention to?

Uhjh 4 years, 5 months ago

OK let's try this one more time! "Kansas Legislature — suspended" I say if these weasels take off why not the Lawrence Schools. A tornado warning is never a day early you misinformed person. This is a blizzard warning not a watch by the NWS. Hope this is not too harsh.

Staci Dark Simpson 4 years, 5 months ago

Shawnee, Olathe and Blue Valley all just called school. Is Lawrence next?

JGr 4 years, 5 months ago

Schools in Johnson county are starting to call it... let's see how much longer we have to wait.

applefarmer 4 years, 5 months ago

KU employees (Maintenance, custodial and cooks) are required to be at work by the start of thier shift or use vacation time while the higher ups get to stay home while they clean the streets and sidewalks for them to get to work on safely.

IronChefKS 4 years, 5 months ago

The lowest paid paid, with the most to lose if they get hurt or wreck a car, will be expected to show up first. The other front line people will show up to answer the phone out of fear for their jobs. The mid-level will do what they do on any given day: show up if they feel like it, depending on how cozy they are with their boss. It's a real shame. I don't know that KU was ever a good place to work, but now it's a bad place to work. Why does Ola Faucher get away with her years and years of incompetence? I blame her more than anyone for there being so many great people leaving KU.

Sss 4 years, 5 months ago

It may be in the morning when they call. I guess they want to make sure.

persevering_gal 4 years, 5 months ago

No call from Julie yet. I may have to change my prediction to tomorrow morning.

Jan Rolls 4 years, 5 months ago

Evidently the Governor doesn't care about the state employees in Douglas, Johnson and Wyandotte Counties. I thought he said he would be for all the people.

greywolf85203 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't know about other parents but if Dr. Doll doesn't call school, I'm going to keep my child home. This is stupid. If the CAPITOL is closes HELLO its a no brainer!!!!

Staci Dark Simpson 4 years, 5 months ago

If Lawrence doesn't close for a blizzard warning I am going to have to question their sanity.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 5 months ago

Supt. Rick Doll just said he plans to test Lawrence streets at 4 or 5 a.m. and then make a call about canceling. At this time, he does not intend to cancel classes tonight, so, you'll have to check back in the morning. We also offer text and e-mail alerts for USD 497:

E-mail alerts are effective immediately. Text alert subscriptions update after midnight.

Staci Dark Simpson 4 years, 5 months ago

what a moron! The roads are not gonna be bad at 4 or 5 AM. I hope he takes responsibility for any frozen children or crashed busses. He is going to send everyone home early right in the middle of the blizzard and put many people in danger.

David Lignell 4 years, 5 months ago

In the first place God made idiots. This was for practice. Then He made school boards. - Following the Equator, Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

Kylee Manahan 4 years, 5 months ago

I certainly hope when he gets on the road at 4 or 5 a.m. he doesn't slip and break a hip on the way to his car, but if he does get to his car I do hope he doesn't get into a car accident and hurt his self.

Gareth Skarka 4 years, 5 months ago

Dumb. Doll will go out at 4 or 5, BEFORE the worst of the storm hits, and make the call?

How ignorant is this guy? Just what we want -- our children on the streets when the worst of the storm hits in the afternoon.

The state and county government are shutting down, you tinpot little bureaucrat. Wake up.

Angela Heili 4 years, 5 months ago

ROFL!!! I had to cross my legs after reading that one!! My husband busted out laughing when I read it to him! LOL I agree with you completely. We'd have to get our kids in the middle of the storm.

He sounds like the superintendent we had in the Garden City, Ks school district. He wouldn't call for mud routes after a particularly heavy rain (lots of dirt roads). When a large school bus got stuck he drove out and tried to pull the bus out of the mud with his little Ford Bronco! Needless to say someone with a tractor had to pull him and the bus out of the mud. Parents were definitely NOT happy with his lack of common sense.

tanya 4 years, 5 months ago

ha! i'm from holcomb. i don't remember this, but i remember when they called my parents to come get us because we were in a tornado watch.......

justmehere 4 years, 5 months ago

Wonder if state employees have to have a snow "make up" day? Ironic isnt it, that state offices will be closed tomorrow, but yet USD497 is balking on cancelling school in blizzard warnings because they are nearing the end of the "forgiven" days and will have to make future snow days up...per state law? derf...

absolutelyridiculous 4 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Doll you are an idiot. Every school in the Kansas City area has cancelled classes. I am not picking up my kids during a blizzard tomorrow. You can keep them while school is out.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like Doll changed his mind. And it happens just that fast. Official word still to come, but sounds like Lawrence is out too. Awaiting confirmation...

Laura Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe they canceled the district court and not school. The problem is that current projections don't show a heck of a lot of snow at 4 or 5 a.m. when Doll will be out "testing" the roads. It doesn't show a lot at 8:30 when I'm supposed to be at work (across from the courthouse, oh the irony). After that it's just going to get worse and worse and by noon we could have several inches and kids stuck in school.

I'm usually all for making kids go to school in the snow but not in a blizzard with drifting. That was the only time it was called off when I was a kid here in Lawrence. Simple snow and cold, no, but drifting and high winds and snow, yes.

Though right now I'm not buying the predictions totally. Earlier today the snow was to start at 6:00 p.m; now it's 2:00 a.m. I wouldn't be surprised to wake up to find no new snow.

Sherry Warren 4 years, 5 months ago

6 News is saying Lawrence schools are closed Tuesday

Kylee Manahan 4 years, 5 months ago

Closed. Guess he walked outside and fell and hurt himself.

piercedoff89 4 years, 5 months ago

Jonathan, you think KU will close the Lawrence campus?

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 5 months ago

My gut says yes, but that's not based on any information from folks up at KU. I'd say it all depends on when the snow starts. If it gets a late start, it might not happen. KU can always call of classes later. They've done that recently. I believe winter 2004, in fact.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 5 months ago

It's beginning to look like they will be the only school open in NE Kansas if they don't close!

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 5 months ago

hujiko 4 years, 5 months ago

KU is far more likely to cancel for a National Championship than a Blizzard Warning.

nepenthe 4 years, 5 months ago

They will remain open in the morning, when snow is likely going to be lighter. Then around noon, when the blizzard gets into full swing, allow non-essential personnel to go home, forcing anyone who lives outside of town to choose between holding up somewhere in Lawrence for the night or driving home in blizzard conditions. Anyone who is essential will have to stay until their shift is done and pray they can get home safely or simply give up and sleep on the floor by their cubicle.

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

I was told that if they close, they loose their money for that day. But if they cancel at noon, they get paid for the whole day. That is the school, not the employees.

hail2oldku 4 years, 5 months ago

But Julie hasn't called me yet. I won't believe it until she does. :-)

Kylee Manahan 4 years, 5 months ago

Be careful everyone if you need to go. The ice is really bad.

Irenaku 4 years, 5 months ago

C'mon KU! Don't make people drive into town and/or trek up that darn hill just to send a text alert that we can all go home after there is a foot of snow on the ground! I am just loathing having to deal with that tomorrow...

piercedoff89 4 years, 5 months ago

but that is no fun for them they love their text alert system! hahaha

KansasPerson 4 years, 5 months ago

It's official. I'm closed tomorrow. That's right, I've decided to close... me. I will not be open for business. I will be safe inside my house, firing up the oven so that I'll have something to eat after shoveling snow.

There might be ham-and-beans, and corn bread.

RaynRavyn 4 years, 5 months ago

Mmmm, I do believe you might have just made up my mind as to what to make for dinner tomorrow... :D

SpiritTat 4 years, 5 months ago

Come on KU ~ we can sit out a day ~ all staff and FO folks too

Of course, it sounds like the first part of the day on Wed isn't going to be so great for travel, parking, walking up the Hill ..

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

Ruh Roh! Looks like someone who cannot be spoken of is adding ghost posties again. 568 on most discussed

Scott Morgan 4 years, 5 months ago

Now please explain Global Warming = Climate Change.

hujiko 4 years, 5 months ago

Figure out the difference between weather and climate first and then we'll talk.

Staci Dark Simpson 4 years, 5 months ago

Be safe tomorrow everyone. The NWS is using strong wording to describe how dangerous this storm is. Be prepared and help your neighbors.

IronChefKS 4 years, 5 months ago

Not sure what KU always thinks it's trying to prove, but, as terrified as they are of lawsuits, you'd think they'd want to avoid the multi-million dollar one that's coming their way. A lowly staff member cracking open their head would do the trick, but wait until a distinguished prof turns into a vegetable after falling at Wescoe or a carload of Johnson County kids gets wiped out on their way to class.

Thunderdome 4 years, 5 months ago

A student driving from the Edwards Campus back to Lawrence wrecked his car tonight. And yet, common sense won't prevail.

justmehere 4 years, 5 months ago

Its on the school website oldku...maybe Julie is already in bed? :D

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm staying home.. the hubs can take the 4wd to work at LMH. They are asking for those with 4x4s to help nurses get in to work. Maybe he can be a taxi driver tomorrow. Only thing about 4x4s.. you get 4 wheels spinning on the ice instead of just two, if you don't know how to drive one.. get ready for lotsa silly inexperienced Suv'rs in the ditch.

middlemgmt 4 years, 5 months ago

Stay home. Its not worth the risk of getting stuck.

MyOpinionCounts 4 years, 5 months ago

KU values the almighty dollar more than their students and staff.

auntmimi210 4 years, 5 months ago

Funny how the school district phone message said they "apologize for the lateness of the hour, but they've had some technical difficulties with their system." Wonder if the technical difficulty is named Doll.

twoton 4 years, 5 months ago

So the schools are going to be closed big deal - let's get serious what about Next Level!

hail2oldku 4 years, 5 months ago

Julie finally called. At least she apologized for calling late. Maybe I'll take a snow day myself so I can sleep in a little too.

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 5 months ago

Notice how District Court and Legal Services were the first to close?

where's Ku_Law when you expect them to be here, declaring "first*!?

Disclaimer: Yes, I work for a law office, we try to be sensible about all this.

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

I suspect KU will close when the buses can't get up the hill.

jcpainting 4 years, 5 months ago

If the buses cant run then they will close ku, which is bullcrap. I walk pretty far just to catch a bus takes me at least 30min to get to the stop! PLEASE CLOSE KU CAMPUS TOMORROW. I mean if they close ALL of the surrounding schools, why the hell not!

Nick McCracken 4 years, 5 months ago

I doubt the buses for KU will even run tomorrow, considering how cold it will be. If anything they would need a jump to even get moving. Also if they do get going the would have to get up hills over the surrounding area which are going to be iced over and snowed over by the time they are going.

mammaweeks3 4 years, 5 months ago

When I was at KU several years ago, they closed Lawrence and all surrounding areas but not KU till someone got hit by a bus about 2 in the afternoon. They then told us we had 30 minutes to catch a bus before they shut them down because the roads were bad. It was much safer to have students walking, go figure. KU never closes!

MyOpinionCounts 4 years, 5 months ago

KU leadership needs to check the NWS website:

'Expected Weather: Freezing drizzle, changing over to snow with significant snow accumulation, followed by blowing and drifting snow and dangerous wind chills.

The combination of all of these elements make this a VERY DANGEROUS STORM. Travel is strongly discouraged, and may become impossible at times.

Areas Affected: All of Northeast, North Central and East Central Kansas.'

Show some backbone and close the KU campus - don't put the students and staff at risk. The NWS doesn't issue "Blizzard warnings" without a good reason. There is nothing on that campus that won't wait a day or 2 for safety's sake.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 5 months ago

If the buses can run, campus will stay open. That is the operative test, not the NWS.

croutons 4 years, 5 months ago

It's been my experience that KU doesn't shut down because of weather very often. Heck, they have a page (http://www.ur.ku.edu/weather.shtml) that basically brags about how little they actually cancel classes. Yet, this is insanely inconsistent. For example, the Feb 21, 2008 afternoon dismissal was laughable; there was about a quarter inch of wet snow that day. That left me scratching my head, thinking about all the times I drove through 5 inches of unplowed streets to get to campus.

sittinthefence 4 years, 5 months ago

Just got the message KU Lawrence is closed today

Bug 4 years, 5 months ago

State offices are closed, KU and Haskell are closed, District Court is closed but City Hall is open? Guess that's good since I need to go and pay a utility bill "adjustment".

nouseforaname 4 years, 5 months ago

Please note how your dedicated City of Lawrence employees still have to report to work today. City employees > state employees.

nouseforaname 4 years, 5 months ago

I just had my trashed picked up by City employees. How is that not impressive?

booyalab 4 years, 5 months ago

A average garbage truck weighs over 20 tons, I should hope that it could navigate a few inches of snow.

posternutbag 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree. Props to the sanitation workers.

nepenthe 4 years, 5 months ago

Bless them, and I hope today none of them are injured or frostbitten for their services.

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

I didn't put my trash out. I figure it's cold enough that it won't stink up the garage and maybe, just maybe, it will speed the trashmen along their way this morning. It has to be brutal riding on the outside of that truck today.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 5 months ago

State offices closed?

A miracle, a day with Kobach is like a day without acid rain.

dani36921 4 years, 5 months ago

I know there is a list up there saying which government businesses are closed (I looked, but couldn't find it) but is the post office still open? I want to be 100% sure before I walk there.

hvanallen 4 years, 5 months ago

The mailman just came into our building...so i'd say yes.

Betty Bartholomew 4 years, 5 months ago

Mark it on your calendar: Feb 1, 2011 - KU called off before there was a flake falling.

Now hopefully we get enough snow to justify it rather than having them decide it's always better to have people show up to work and call off after the roads get so bad it's dangerous to get home. (When they called off at 4pm week before last, it took an hour to get to my house, and that's usually only a ten-minute drive.)

nepenthe 4 years, 5 months ago

Judging from the three feet of snow (a drift, mind you) blocking the doors to my back deck, I'm thinking you got your wish.

volunteer 4 years, 5 months ago

I had dinner with a western Kansas school supt last night who recalled the time he somehow set off the "call every student's home to give the message school is canceled"....at 4:30am..

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 5 months ago

Thank You! To those taking care of us: Lawrence/DG Co/State street crews; police, fire and EMS crews.... LMH, the people at KU taking care of the lots and walks....

and YES also the very important city of Lawrence trash crews who always do a fantastic job in my view. (why in the f do some want to screw that up?)

GSWtotheheart 4 years, 5 months ago

thank you trash crew...I live on the outskirts of town and know my road has not been plowed...and they were here same time as usual and I totally appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!